Coolboii900
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I think i developed schizophrenia at 17 but was later diagnosed at 19 with it? Can you have early signs of schizophrenia ?
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Schizophrenia can only be diagnosed at 18 or older. If your under 18 then clinicians tend to see whether it’s a phase or long lasting. You also have to be symptomatic for a certain period of time before a diagnosis can be made. I knew a girl who had a diagnosis of emerging schizophrenia at 17 but wasn’t formally diagnosed until she was 19.
anonirl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
you can develop schizophrenia at any age however you won't be formally diagnosed until an older age in most cases
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes it is most common in males between 18-30
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1) You can be diagnosed with sz anytime, not just over 18, however, the younger you are the less likely it will be called sz specifically as labels can be damaging, you may just be diagnosed with 'psychosis' more broadly
2) While it can occur at any age, the most vulnerable time is 16-35 (with males tending to be diagnosed a bit earlier)
3) early signs of sz can be seen from anything of a few months to 5-10 years before full blown episode or diagnosis, this is called the prodromal phase
4) early symptoms can also be a sign of other things and not necessarily lead to a diagnosis of sz
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (72)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
16.92%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
8.99%
Isolating with family (28)
6%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.07%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.14%
Loneliness (46)
9.85%
Financial worries (16)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (46)
9.85%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (48)
10.28%

Watched Threads