Animation BA Choices / Advice for where to go! Watch

RBudzinska
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I’m currently in the process of applying and have completed everything I need to do (personal statement, UCAS etc) but still need to decide on where to actually go.

I just came back from an AUB open day and it was amazing - I loved how they prepared you for the industry and I felt like it was very professional but also fun and I got a great sense of community but I wasn’t sure about the location. I’m also considering Hertfordshire because it looks great and Falmouth as I live locally and I know that it’s well known. However I’m not keen about staying in Cornwall / Devon and I’d love to go somewhere more lively.

I’m really passionate about animation and I want to go to a university that will provide me with the skills I need to dive into the industry. I’m more focused on 2D animation so don’t want to do a 3D specific course but I’d also love to experiment with 3D so I get the skills. I’d also love a course that had good industry links and did film festivals and other things that’d help me!

I’d love to hear from people which they think are good courses, thank you
LenaBuk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Try thinking to do with contemporary Art, if they have it.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RBudzinska)
So I’m currently in the process of applying and have completed everything I need to do (personal statement, UCAS etc) but still need to decide on where to actually go.

I just came back from an AUB open day and it was amazing - I loved how they prepared you for the industry and I felt like it was very professional but also fun and I got a great sense of community but I wasn’t sure about the location. I’m also considering Hertfordshire because it looks great and Falmouth as I live locally and I know that it’s well known. However I’m not keen about staying in Cornwall / Devon and I’d love to go somewhere more lively.

I’m really passionate about animation and I want to go to a university that will provide me with the skills I need to dive into the industry. I’m more focused on 2D animation so don’t want to do a 3D specific course but I’d also love to experiment with 3D so I get the skills. I’d also love a course that had good industry links and did film festivals and other things that’d help me!

South Wales (it’s in Cardiff).
Herts UG Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Hi RBudzinska!

Thanks for considering Herts! It is certainly one of the best Universities in the UK for animation. In fact, industry group/directory The Rookies ranks our animation course as the 7th best in the world! We are the only UK University to make the Global Top 10 best schools for Animation, and one of only 4 European schools to make the Top 10.

Every year our students produce outstanding work, some of which can be viewed here. Our course is ScreenSkills accredited which ensures that your degree remains relevant to industry. You will also have the opportunity to carry out an optional work placement as part of this course too! Our University also has great employability ratings, with over 96% of our graduates in work or further study within 6 months of graduation.

Let me know if you have any questions about the course, University, student life or Portfolio requirements - I'll be happy to help
RBudzinska
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by LenaBuk)
Try thinking to do with contemporary Art, if they have it.
I’m not interested in contemporary art but thank you.
RBudzinska
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Herts UG Student Rep)
Hi RBudzinska!

Thanks for considering Herts! It is certainly one of the best Universities in the UK for animation. In fact, industry group/directory The Rookies ranks our animation course as the 7th best in the world! We are the only UK University to make the Global Top 10 best schools for Animation, and one of only 4 European schools to make the Top 10.

Every year our students produce outstanding work, some of which can be viewed here. Our course is ScreenSkills accredited which ensures that your degree remains relevant to industry. You will also have the opportunity to carry out an optional work placement as part of this course too! Our University also has great employability ratings, with over 96% of our graduates in work or further study within 6 months of graduation.

Let me know if you have any questions about the course, University, student life or Portfolio requirements - I'll be happy to help
Thank you for the information! I would say that my only worry about Hertfordshire is student life and also disability help. Is there a lot to do for students? Living down in Cornwall has meant I haven’t had much of a teenager experience and I want to get at least a bit of fun before I dive into the industry. I’m also disabled so a big factor for me is how the university accommodates disabilities, such as giving you priority for accommodation? I physically can’t be in a single bed because I have Fibroymaglia and need space so I don’t wake up with more pain than I have anyway.
Herts UG Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thank you for the information! I would say that my only worry about Hertfordshire is student life and also disability help. Is there a lot to do for students? Living down in Cornwall has meant I haven’t had much of a teenager experience and I want to get at least a bit of fun before I dive into the industry. I’m also disabled so a big factor for me is how the university accommodates disabilities, such as giving you priority for accommodation? I physically can’t be in a single bed because I have Fibroymaglia and need space so I don’t wake up with more pain than I have anyway.
In terms of student life, there is a fair bit to do here. I'm not sure what the nightlife is like in your town, but I've found there's more nightlife here (I come from a small town on the Kent coast). The Uni has an on-campus nightclub which is typically open until 3am on 3-4 nights a week. There's also a pub on-campus which is open 7 days a week and serves food We have several cafe's and restaurants on our campuses and a convenience store which is open until late. There's a fair bit to do in the day time to with great sports facilities - a swimming pool, and a 24/7 gym. The Unviersity/SU is quite good at scheduling events on most days too, so there's often something to do. The town we are based in, Hatfield, has a cinema and lots of restaurants (Nandos, Pizza Express, Frankie & Benny's, Whetherspoons, Chiquito) which are all quite popular amongst students. London is just a 25 minute train journey away which is quite useful - there's plenty to do there. For example after lectures yesterday myself and some friends went to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park for the evening.

As for the accommodation, the University will priorities students with disabilities in their residential allocations, be it freshers or returning students. For example, if you need a double room, or a ground floor room those are all things that can be facilitated. To discuss your requirements and what options are available, it'd be worth talking to our Accommodation team who would be happy to help:

[email protected]

Hope that helps! Best of luck in your application
RBudzinska
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 18 hours ago
(Original post by Herts UG Student Rep)
In terms of student life, there is a fair bit to do here. I'm not sure what the nightlife is like in your town, but I've found there's more nightlife here (I come from a small town on the Kent coast). The Uni has an on-campus nightclub which is typically open until 3am on 3-4 nights a week. There's also a pub on-campus which is open 7 days a week and serves food We have several cafe's and restaurants on our campuses and a convenience store which is open until late. There's a fair bit to do in the day time to with great sports facilities - a swimming pool, and a 24/7 gym. The Unviersity/SU is quite good at scheduling events on most days too, so there's often something to do. The town we are based in, Hatfield, has a cinema and lots of restaurants (Nandos, Pizza Express, Frankie & Benny's, Whetherspoons, Chiquito) which are all quite popular amongst students. London is just a 25 minute train journey away which is quite useful - there's plenty to do there. For example after lectures yesterday myself and some friends went to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park for the evening.

As for the accommodation, the University will priorities students with disabilities in their residential allocations, be it freshers or returning students. For example, if you need a double room, or a ground floor room those are all things that can be facilitated. To discuss your requirements and what options are available, it'd be worth talking to our Accommodation team who would be happy to help:

[email protected]

Hope that helps! Best of luck in your application
Thank you so much! That definitely puts Hertfordshire at the top of my list, thanks for the information
Herts UG Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 5 hours ago
Thank you so much! That definitely puts Hertfordshire at the top of my list, thanks for the information
Glad I could help! Give me a shout if you have any more questions about Herts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?