sxmwatson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I’m going to apply to Psychology at: UCL, Bath, Lancaster, Newcastle and Birmingham.

I know I’ll want to eventually do the Masters but is it better to initially apply for the BSc as I can have the time to decide if I want to do the Masters at the end or is it better to apply for the MSc now for reasons that I don’t know?

Thanks.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sxmwatson)
Hi, I’m going to apply to Psychology at: UCL, Bath, Lancaster, Newcastle and Birmingham.

I know I’ll want to eventually do the Masters but is it better to initially apply for the BSc as I can have the time to decide if I want to do the Masters at the end or is it better to apply for the MSc now for reasons that I don’t know?

Thanks.
Heyy sxmwatson

There is no harm in applying for the undergraduate degree now and waiting until you have nearly finished your UG degree to apply for the MA. This means then you have flexibility with what you would like to do after you have finished your UG degree. Our decisions for our future can definitely change shape during our UG degree.

Best of luck!

Ashley
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Something to consider is if you apply for a 4 year course with masters it will be covered by SFE I believe
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Something to consider is if you apply for a 4 year course with masters it will be covered by SFE I believe
Heyy Noodlzzz

There are now post-graduate loans for Masters degrees, so it will also be covered by SFE if you apply for a stand-alone MA.

Take care!
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Heyy Noodlzzz

There are now post-graduate loans for Masters degrees, so it will also be covered by SFE if you apply for a stand-alone MA.

Take care!
Yes I know, but the fourth year in an integrated masters will be covered by SFE maintenance grants etc. Whereas a standalone masters only just covers tuition fees
sxmwatson
Rep:
?
Heyy sxmwatson

There is no harm in applying for the undergraduate degree now and waiting until you have nearly finished your UG degree to apply for the MA. This means then you have flexibility with what you would like to do after you have finished your UG degree. Our decisions for our future can definitely change shape during our UG degree.

Best of luck!

Ashley
Thanks. If the entry requirements are the same, is the Masters harder to get onto or are they roughly the same? Or are they in the same pool of applicants but some just do the Masters? Still wondering about this general theme of differences in application
sxmwatson
Rep:
?
Yes I know, but the fourth year in an integrated masters will be covered by SFE maintenance grants etc. Whereas a standalone masters only just covers tuition fees
How much more can you get in the post grad loan compared to under grad?
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How much more can you get in the post grad loan compared to under grad?
masters loan is 10k to cover everything, undergrad will cover tuition fees + your usual maintenance loan and grants (dependent on family income and how much you choose to accept)
sxmwatson
Rep:
?
masters loan is 10k to cover everything, undergrad will cover tuition fees + your usual maintenance loan and grants (dependent on family income and how much you choose to accept)
Cheers, any thoughts on my response to Ashley ^^?
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks. If the entry requirements are the same, is the Masters harder to get onto or are they roughly the same? Or are they in the same pool of applicants but some just do the Masters? Still wondering about this general theme of differences in application
To apply for the masters you will need to hold the undergraduate qualification so in that sense, it is harder to get into. However, if you get a 2;1 or 1st class degree there aren't that many universities that would not accept you for their master's programmes.

Hope this helps
Dom
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Cheers, any thoughts on my response to Ashley ^^?
From the little I know, the masters course will have higher grade requirements, and if they don't, it will be significantly harder to get a place. I've heard quite a lot of applying for the 4 years masters and being offered just straight BSc though
sxmwatson
Rep:
?
To apply for the masters you will need to hold the undergraduate qualification so in that sense, it is harder to get into. However, if you get a 2;1 or 1st class degree there aren't that many universities that would not accept you for their master's programmes.

Hope this helps
Dom
Thanks
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks
Hi there sxmwatson

You're welcome and good luck! :gthumb:
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thanks.
Hello,
I'd recommend applying for the BSc at Lancaster as it has lower entry requirements. The MPsych you're interested in is integrated so provided you're meeting the entry requirements (usually a 2:1 average in years 2 and 3), you'll be able to switch at any point of your degree. Therefore, it'll be best to try and get an AAB offer for BSc Psychology. There will also be more places than for the integrated masters.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
sxmwatson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello,
I'd recommend applying for the BSc at Lancaster as it has lower entry requirements. The MPsych you're interested in is integrated so provided you're meeting the entry requirements (usually a 2:1 average in years 2 and 3), you'll be able to switch at any point of your degree. Therefore, it'll be best to try and get an AAB offer for BSc Psychology. There will also be more places than for the integrated masters.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Thanks, I’ve applied to all BSc as it’ll be easier including Lancaster
2childmum!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you do a BSc and then a masters afterwards you have to pay back both loans simultaneously. If you do an integrated masters then you only have the one loan to pay back. So it is a cheaper way of doing the masters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (352)
46.44%
No (81)
10.69%
I'm not old enough (325)
42.88%

Watched Threads