starmilk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m in my third year of university and I have doubts about finishing my dissertation on time due to my mental health issues. I have anxiety and consistently low moods. It doesn’t help that there are a lot of family problems going on at the moment which I just cannot cope with and my depressed younger sister is also extremely dependent on me.

I have been seeing a counsellor at my university since the start of the semester and I have also let my tutor know about this. Is it actually possible to defer my dissertation but also continue with my other modules? And also would there be any problems with my tuition loan or maintenance loan if I were to do this?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by starmilk)
I’m in my third year of university and I have doubts about finishing my dissertation on time due to my mental health issues. I have anxiety and consistently low moods. It doesn’t help that there are a lot of family problems going on at the moment which I just cannot cope with and my depressed younger sister is also extremely dependent on me.

I have been seeing a counsellor at my university since the start of the semester and I have also let my tutor know about this. Is it actually possible to defer my dissertation but also continue with my other modules? And also would there be any problems with my tuition loan or maintenance loan if I were to do this?
Your university will have a well defined process for asking for a hand in extension, and for something major like a dissertaion you need to ask in advance and with supporting evidence, e.g. a letter from your GP. That fact that your tutor is aware is helpful as it creates a paperwork trail. Best to see them ASAP and ask how to make a request for that extension and get it in place formally.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Hi there starmilk

You would need to contact your course leader and your university to discuss deferring your dissertation.

You've been seeing a university counsellor, and need to talk to the university (and your personal tutor/course leader) about your current situation for extenuating circumstances and how deferring may alter continuing with your modules etc. You also need to make sure you do what's best for you, and they can help support you if they're aware of your current situation.

If you feel you need to talk to someone whilst home for the holidays, the Hub of Hope shows support close to your post code area.

If you're permitted to defer your dissertation, you can then contact Student Finance.

Please feel free to message any questions you have,

Fi :horse:
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

You need to speak to your personal tutor to establish what is and isn't possible regarding deferrals. There's no point setting your heart on a certain scenario only to find out that it is not possible. Once you've discussed it with your personal tutor, you can start the process ASAP if it will meet your needs.

You would need to talk to someone at Student Finance directly about your situation once the deferral (and the details of which) have been set in stone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (338)
46.17%
No (78)
10.66%
I'm not old enough (316)
43.17%

Watched Threads