jontythan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Planning to study physics at uni, however I am both hopeless at and have no enjoyment for the practical side of it and am not enjoying practicals at GCSE/ALevel. I think I saw that especially at Oxford (the university I hope to get into) the P&P course just involves taking philosophy instead of the practical elements of the course, and if so I would gladly take that, as I have a strong interest in philosophy. However I do not want to miss out on any theoretical physics topics or elements, and am worried that P&P will mean I cover less physics topics than I would with a single subject course.
chapmase
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jontythan)
Planning to study physics at uni, however I am both hopeless at and have no enjoyment for the practical side of it and am not enjoying practicals at GCSE/ALevel. I think I saw that especially at Oxford (the university I hope to get into) the P&P course just involves taking philosophy instead of the practical elements of the course, and if so I would gladly take that, as I have a strong interest in philosophy. However I do not want to miss out on any theoretical physics topics or elements, and am worried that P&P will mean I cover less physics topics than I would with a single subject course.
Hey, there are lots of universities that offer theoretical physics where you swap out some of the practical work for extra computational and maths modules. If you want to persue an academic career after university then it is probably better to do the theoretical physics route as you will get a much better background in maths, but if not then physics and philosophy would also be a really interesting course
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you want to do physics without the practicals you want to do maths
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you look at available modules in physics and maths courses, you'll find that there's a pretty heavy overlap in the later years - general relativity, quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, cosmology, astrophysics, even group theory are all topics that are taught both in maths degrees and physics degrees.
If you hate the practical side of it (including calculating errors!!) then do not take physics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (409)
43.6%
No (98)
10.45%
I'm not old enough (431)
45.95%

Watched Threads