The Student Room Group

Neuroscience

I'm interested in Neuroscience but I'm not sure what the course is like so am indecisive whether or not to pick it as my university choice. Any tips?
Original post by Yobama
I'm interested in Neuroscience but I'm not sure what the course is like so am indecisive whether or not to pick it as my university choice. Any tips?

Neuroscience is a course that is mainly about the study of the neural networks within humans, the neurons in the brain and the overall structure of the brain. This course would be great to do if you are looking to pursue a career as a neuroscientist or the course could also open up an opportunity for graduate entry onto the 4 year medicine program.

Hope this helps, and good luck for whatever you do decide to chose!
Original post by Yobama
I'm interested in Neuroscience but I'm not sure what the course is like so am indecisive whether or not to pick it as my university choice. Any tips

Choosing a Uni subject : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/i-want-to-go-to-uni-but-i-dont-know-what-to-study
How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Book some Uni Open Days and go to the subject presentation for Neuroscience.
Also, there are lots of 'Neuroscience and .......' joint subject courses.
Reply 3
Original post by The-judge-16
Neuroscience is a course that is mainly about the study of the neural networks within humans, the neurons in the brain and the overall structure of the brain. This course would be great to do if you are looking to pursue a career as a neuroscientist or the course could also open up an opportunity for graduate entry onto the 4 year medicine program.

Hope this helps, and good luck for whatever you do decide to chose!

Thanks!
But I was wondering more about the difficulty of the degree and whether or not it is more biologically based as I'm looking for a degree which focuses more on the Biology (which I enjoy more) than on Chemistry (which I am less so keen on).
Are you a Neuroscience student yourself and if so whats your experience?
Original post by Yobama
Thanks!
But I was wondering more about the difficulty of the degree and whether or not it is more biologically based as I'm looking for a degree which focuses more on the Biology (which I enjoy more) than on Chemistry (which I am less so keen on).
Are you a Neuroscience student yourself and if so whats your experience?

I’m not a neuroscience student however I too am interested in looking to do a degree in neuroscience. I know for sure though that neuroscience focuses much more on biology rather than chemistry, and to be honest I do not even believe that neuroscience contains much chemistry at all.
This is the course unit catalogue for University of Bristol - there are separate tabs for each of the 3 years of the course : https://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programme-catalogue/RouteStructure.jsa?byCohort=N&ayrCode=20%2F21&programmeCode=7PYSI004U

And this is the course description, complete with entry requirements - Bristol wants two science/maths subjects at A level, neither Biology or Chemistry are compulsory, you just need a 'science' mindset : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/neuroscience/bsc-neuroscience/
Reply 6
Is it worth doing a foundation year for anything because I'm considering doing one for Pharmacy as my predicted grades are not good enough.
Reply 7
Original post by Raj the Baj
use your brain,
thats what the course is about

do the course, love your horse

Can you clarify what you mean by that?
Original post by Yobama
Is it worth doing a foundation year for anything because I'm considering doing one for Pharmacy as my predicted grades are not good enough.

Just be aware that any Foundation course is for that Uni only - it will lead straight to their main degree.
You wont be able to use it to trade-up to another Uni, so be certain you really do want to be at that Uni for the entire degree course..
Reply 9
I did Neuroscience as my undergrad at Bristol and am starting grad entry medicine later this year. I really enjoyed my Neuro degree so if your still interested in it I’d be more than happy to talk to you about it :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Keels25
I did Neuroscience as my undergrad at Bristol and am starting grad entry medicine later this year. I really enjoyed my Neuro degree so if your still interested in it I’d be more than happy to talk to you about it :smile:

Yh very much still interested in doing it.
What were your requirements and what did you get at the end of A Levels
Original post by Yobama
Yh very much still interested in doing it.
What were your requirements and what did you get at the end of A Levels

So my firm choice was actually UCL for Neuro but unfortunately I missed my offer - i needed AAA but got ABB. luckily Bristol was my insurance choice and they made me a contextual offer for ABB plus I had extenuating circumstances as well. In terms of actually getting places on Neuro programmes I think there aren’t many requirements other than just showing an interest in the personal statement and obviously extracurriculars always help. I applied to UCL, Bristol, Manchester, QMUL and Kings and I got offers for all - was just a case of getting the grades.
Reply 12
Original post by Keels25
So my firm choice was actually UCL for Neuro but unfortunately I missed my offer - i needed AAA but got ABB. luckily Bristol was my insurance choice and they made me a contextual offer for ABB plus I had extenuating circumstances as well. In terms of actually getting places on Neuro programmes I think there aren’t many requirements other than just showing an interest in the personal statement and obviously extracurriculars always help. I applied to UCL, Bristol, Manchester, QMUL and Kings and I got offers for all - was just a case of getting the grades.

Thats hear I've applied to UCL aswell but I wont get the grades to get in so my safe option is BBB at Aston which still is not guarenteed for me. Do you think if I miss the requirements by a bit they will take me on?

Also I initially had wanted to do Neuroscience but was swayed by career advisers, friends, teachers etc that it is a really hard course so I switched to Pharmacy. I recently made my mind up that I didn't care how hard it was I would rather do Neuroscience.
So is it as hard as how everyone describes it?
The majority of the course is Biology rather than Chemistry right?
Original post by Yobama
Thats hear I've applied to UCL aswell but I wont get the grades to get in so my safe option is BBB at Aston which still is not guarenteed for me. Do you think if I miss the requirements by a bit they will take me on?

Also I initially had wanted to do Neuroscience but was swayed by career advisers, friends, teachers etc that it is a really hard course so I switched to Pharmacy. I recently made my mind up that I didn't care how hard it was I would rather do Neuroscience.
So is it as hard as how everyone describes it?
The majority of the course is Biology rather than Chemistry right?

For UCL I would say no - when I went to the offer holder open day a few years ago someone asked the exact same question and they said they are quite strict that candidates must meet their offers particularly for biology/chem but if you were like 1 or 2 UMS off an A in the third subject they may consider it. As for Aston I am not sure - maybe check their FAQs on their course website or email their admissions? If you are close on results day, it might be worth ringing them up anyway.

So Neuro is difficult, but I think it's manageable if that is where your interests are. I mean, bearing in mind I got ABB at A level which would have been the lowest grades in my year at Bristol I actually graduated top of my class in the end so I definitely think it is possible to do well even if you're a little under-confident going in. Like with anything, if you put the work in it will be fine and I don't think many people failed. Yes so it is mainly biology, at Bristol anyways, but you have options to take biochemistry and pharmacology units which are a bit more chemistry-oriented but still interesting. I would look at the course pages for different unis to see what interests you most because different unis will focus on different areas of neuro by different amounts so do look at this before applying to make sure!

You have to think, even if you are being dissuaded from neuro, you are going to be studying for at least 3 years, so it really ought to be something you enjoy! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending