aleehawww
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hey! so i'm moving back to the uk for grade 11 (year 12) as in Pakistan, we have 3 years of GCSES (grade 9 -11) / (year10-12) and i'm giving the rest of my gcses as a private candidate. In pakistan, i was doing Edexcel Igcse (9-1) and i'm hoping to give edexcel igcse english lang, english literature and islamic studies.

So the issue is, I really want to take my maths, physics, chem (i don't take bio so for pre engineering students they give computer science) , cs and further modern history exams with edexcel GCSE (9-1)

the issue is, the course is the exact sem, if not easier than igcse BUT for physics and chemistry, apparently you have to give practicals??!
we don't have practicals in igcse although it's extremely difficult to pass

btw i'm aiming for straight 9's
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aleehawww)
hey! so i'm moving back to the uk for grade 11 (year 12) as in Pakistan, we have 3 years of GCSES (grade 9 -11) / (year10-12) and i'm giving the rest of my gcses as a private candidate. In pakistan, i was doing Edexcel Igcse (9-1) and i'm hoping to give edexcel igcse english lang, english literature and islamic studies.

So the issue is, I really want to take my maths, physics, chem (i don't take bio so for pre engineering students they give computer science) , cs and further modern history exams with edexcel GCSE (9-1)

the issue is, the course is the exact sem, if not easier than igcse BUT for physics and chemistry, apparently you have to give practicals??!
we don't have practicals in igcse although it's extremely difficult to pass

btw i'm aiming for straight 9's
Hi!
So what exactly are you asking about? How to get a 9 in GCSE science? Or about the praticals?

Regarding getting a good grade, my advice would be to learn the content, and then do as many past papers as possible. Honestly, if you're above average in science then the grade boundaries shouldn't be too terrible. Also, IGCSE chemistry and physics aren't much harder than GCSE science. I'd actually argue that they are easier, but I digress.
Also, I don't think that you have to do the practicals. Both IGCSE and GCSE science have practicals but they don't actually test whether you actually did them. Just your understanding of them. In A-level, yes you have to do the practials but at GCSE level you only have to show your understanding by answering the questions based on practicals in the written exam.

Hope this helps!
aleehawww
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
Hi!
So what exactly are you asking about? How to get a 9 in GCSE science? Or about the praticals?

Regarding getting a good grade, my advice would be to learn the content, and then do as many past papers as possible. Honestly, if you're above average in science then the grade boundaries shouldn't be too terrible. Also, IGCSE chemistry and physics aren't much harder than GCSE science. I'd actually argue that they are easier, but I digress.
Also, I don't think that you have to do the practicals. Both IGCSE and GCSE science have practicals but they don't actually test whether you actually did them. Just your understanding of them. In A-level, yes you have to do the practials but at GCSE level you only have to show your understanding by answering the questions based on practicals in the written exam.

Hope this helps!
thankyou! i was asking regarding the practicals ahah but yay thanks x
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aleehawww)
thankyou! i was asking regarding the practicals ahah but yay thanks x
It would be much simpler to eter for IGCSE (rather than GCSE) as a private candidate for Sciences. If you enter for GCSE the exam centre will have to sign a form to confirm to Edexcel that you have completed all the practical. AS they're unlikely to want to lie and jeopardise their reputation they will probably not be prepared to accept you as a private candidate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Do you work while at uni?