The Student Room Group

Slept with someones girlfriend. How do I handle the guilt?

I slept with someones girlfriend. I knew he had a girlfriend. It was a drunken hook up. He was very persuasive over texts. Paid for the taxis, hotel etc.
Long story short she found out by looking through his phone. She sent me a text but I denied it and said we met up but never slept together as I dont feel its my place to say anything. She said he has denied ever meeting me.
She keeps texting me asking me lots of questions. I havent told her who I am in case shes heard of me (I live in a small city where everyone knows everyone)
I feel so guilty. I cant eat, I feel sick, I feel stupid. He is an ******* who has cheated on her before, but never physically.
I know what Ive done is wrong, and I feel bad for lying to her, but I only did it because I dont feel like its my place to say.

How do I handle the guilt of being an awful person.

Thank you
He’s the awful one...
Original post by Anonymous
I slept with someones girlfriend. I knew he had a girlfriend. It was a drunken hook up. He was very persuasive over texts. Paid for the taxis, hotel etc.
Long story short she found out by looking through his phone. She sent me a text but I denied it and said we met up but never slept together as I dont feel its my place to say anything. She said he has denied ever meeting me.
She keeps texting me asking me lots of questions. I havent told her who I am in case shes heard of me (I live in a small city where everyone knows everyone)
I feel so guilty. I cant eat, I feel sick, I feel stupid. He is an ******* who has cheated on her before, but never physically.
I know what Ive done is wrong, and I feel bad for lying to her, but I only did it because I dont feel like its my place to say.

Thank you

I would advise coming out clean to this individual. Not telling her who you are, but tell her, and be remorseful.

I don't think I'd pin this solely down to you. Being under the influence of alcohol usually means diminished responsibility, especially if the other individual knew and was taking advantage of this.

It's up to you ultimately how you handle this, but it's good to lay the cards on the table before you play them.
The didn’t you sleep with someone’s boyfriend?
And yes the boyfriend is the awful one but what you did was wrong and i personally would tell the girl. I would say to the boyfriend that either you tell her or I will. The girlfriend deserves to know, just apologize to her and then let the girlfriend take it from there and do what she want with the boyfriend.
The only way to stop feeling guilty is really just to tell the truth :/
I'm so confused. Did you sleep with the girlfriend or the boyfriend?
Original post by MrMusician95
I'm so confused. Did you sleep with the girlfriend or the boyfriend?

They slept with the boyfriend, just wrote it wrong, I was also confused in the beginning😂
They slept with the boyfriend, just wrote it wrong, I was also confused in the beginning😂

Lmao, makes sense, thanks.

OP tell the girlfriend, anonymously. Imagine you were in her situation and your partner cheated, would you want to know?
You're not an awful person. He's the one who made the choice to cheat on her.

She has made clear to you that she wants to know the truth, so it is 100% fair for you to tell her what happened. In your shoes I'd go ahead and tell her. The trust is already broken and their relationship is bound to end regardless. All you're doing is giving her the confirmation she needs to know her instincts are right and put the nail in the coffin. This might even help absolve your guilt.

Thank you

You knew he was taken but you still went ahead and did it, drink is no excuse.
Bit light on advice. Reap what you sow etc. To all the ones that say tell, then as soon as the other person realises the OP has dropped him in it he is sure to reveal her identity as well as blame the OP.
I definitely think that you should tell the girl, but don’t do it anonymously, cause even though the boyfriend is the bad guy here what you did was also a mistake so you need to own up to it and apologize to the girl only then will your guilt disappear
What's done is done, it's not your fault. He's the one in the relationship with the other girl, not you - not your problem to solve.

Personally, I don't see how someone could make such a mistake twice - once in the title and again in the first sentence.
Quite scummy of you not to tell the girlfriend. She's gonna end up staying with a cheater if you don't tell her.

Weird how everyone in the thread thinks the OP is innocent as well lmao.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending