Thinking about dropping out of uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Currently 2 and a half years into an accounting course that I now hate, but think its maybe the university life that I'm just not keen for, since the end of first year I feel like I've been riding the storm and trying to just keep going.

I work as a supervisor at a retail store part time and I really enjoy it, so I know I could do that and try to climb that way, but apart from that, I really don't know how I'd get started on a career ladder that isn't a min wage job if I leave without my degree,

Anybody else made this decision and if so, what are you up to now and how do you plan to progress?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Currently 2 and a half years into an accounting course that I now hate, but think its maybe the university life that I'm just not keen for, since the end of first year I feel like I've been riding the storm and trying to just keep going.

I work as a supervisor at a retail store part time and I really enjoy it, so I know I could do that and try to climb that way, but apart from that, I really don't know how I'd get started on a career ladder that isn't a min wage job if I leave without my degree,

Anybody else made this decision and if so, what are you up to now and how do you plan to progress?
Can you finish this year and get a bachelors degree?
You basically have only 1 semester left, why not push through a few more weeks and have the degree, if you never use it no worries, but if you ever need it (then youve got it).
Bill007
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am sorry that you are disliking uni so much. I must admit that I considered dropping out too. However, down the line I am glad I didn't. You have come so far already and no doubt incurred debt. If you drop out now, you will have saddled yourself with a debt and limited your earning capacity. Once you have dropped out, if you don't like that new path, you can't drop out. Consider finishing - sometimes in life we have to endure circumstances we really really dislike just to get to the next stage. Think of it as a marathon- the middle bit would be really hard and really boring but whan you have finished you would feel incredibly proud of yourself for achieving something so difficult. If you drop out you just have to go back to the beginning and start again. Just because you have an accounting degree does not mean you have to be an accountant for the rest of your life. It is just the starting point but opportunities will open up for you. If you quit, you may find it more difficult explaining why you quit to future employers and perhaps even yourself. You will feel amazing when you complete it because you know you will have achieved a hard earned goal. Life won't always be easy, enjoyable or fun. Sometimes it is arduous and BORING - sorry! I realised I wanted to quit because I was behind on some of my uni course work and once I got that under control it wasn't as bad as I thought and I managed to secure a distinction. Is you desire to leave influenced by other pressures rather than the course itself?Good luck with whatever you decide. Just think it through thoroughly so you don't regret it later. I think by now that you will have to pay for this year whether you finish or not...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (326)
46.05%
No (78)
11.02%
I'm not old enough (304)
42.94%

Watched Threads