Fresher: How to balance personal and study live at university? Watch

Micheal98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m currently in my first year studying PPE in a UK top university and struggling sustain a healthy balance. The subject is already very demanding and I’m left with no time to have fun – last time I was out partying was 3 weeks ago. Any advice for a busy fresher like me?
Maple_Leaf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello! It can often be difficult to get the right balance between studying and spending time doing things you enjoy, especially with a demanding course at a top university so I understand how it must be challenging.

I think the best way would be to list what you have to do so it is clearer in your mind, then make sure you do dedicate time to having fun as this will help you feel more able to get back into studying. Maybe speak to some of the lecturers at the uni if you really are struggling to keep on top of the work, as they will understand that it is important to balance work/ life too. Good luck!
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Micheal98)
I’m currently in my first year studying PPE in a UK top university and struggling sustain a healthy balance. The subject is already very demanding and I’m left with no time to have fun – last time I was out partying was 3 weeks ago. Any advice for a busy fresher like me?
Hi there!

When studying a demanding subject, getting that balance can be difficult but please don't think that you're alone. University can be difficult but my best advice for you would be to study time management. Lots of people think they have got time management in the bag and turns out that they probably don't. So here's some top tips to manage your time well and get that perfect balance:

If you make a schedule (which you probably are trying to) stick to it! Organisation is so important and by sticking to a schedule you allow yourself more time to do the fun things such as partying. You can party to your hearts content knowing that your uni work for that week is done and dusted.

You should prioritize. As boring as this sounds, parties are not always to key to a great uni life. If you have a deadline coming up, can that really afford to take a back seat for the sake of a party?

Set boundaries, ensure that the people you live with allow you some study time, that they work with you to create a healthy work space were they leave you alone. Tell them when you want study time. If they are fantastic they will even tell you when it's time to take a break - within reason.

Stay aware from bad distractions and account for good distractions.

As hard as it is, try not to procrastinate. If you have the time today, do it today. Make the absolute most of the free time you have and leave the rest for social activities.

Time management is easy enough once you get to know what needs to be done and how your body and mind naturally functions with different activities. But most importantly, be nice to yourself, don't over do anything. If you work hard you more than deserve a well earned break and a party is a great way to wind down and enjoy yourself.

Hope this helps!

Robyn

:rave:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (315)
46.12%
No (75)
10.98%
I'm not old enough (293)
42.9%

Watched Threads