joalpq
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,

I applied in October and have recently been rejected by Oxford. I am having serious doubts about my choices and I need to change them. I applied to two universities in Scotland, one university I have a low chance of getting into and another that I don't really like. The Scottish ones are too far away I am having panic attacks about being too far from my family. I know that I cannot go there so please don't try and convince me it will get better.

I do not have any offers yet.

So, I was wondering what I can do. I've heard it's possible to withdraw my application and re-submit it given I have exceptional circumstances. How likely is this to be successful and how do I go about it? Is there anything else I should do instead?

Thanks.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by joalpq)
Hello,

I applied in October and have recently been rejected by Oxford. I am having serious doubts about my choices and I need to change them. I applied to two universities in Scotland, one university I have a low chance of getting into and another that I don't really like. The Scottish ones are too far away I am having panic attacks about being too far from my family. I know that I cannot go there so please don't try and convince me it will get better.

So, I was wondering what I can do. I've heard it's possible to withdraw my application and re-submit it given I have exceptional circumstances. How likely is this to be successful and how do I go about it? Is there anything else I should do instead?

Thanks.
Phone UCAS and see if they can help.

If they can't, Plan B would be to decline all your offers when they come in, so you would be free to apply to new unis in UCAS Extra

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a.../extra-choices
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello,

Thanks.
Hey,

I am sorry that you are feeling this way about your application.

It would be best to contact UCAS about the complete withdrawal and re-submit at this stage of the year.

As mentioned already you could always apply through UCAS Extra, but this would mean declining all current offers/choices and making an application on a one by one process.

Finally UCAS clearing will open around July time, but of course this would depend on whether your course is still available at this time and is available through Clearing.

Tom :five:
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello,

Thanks.
I dont see that you have any extenuating circumstances. You applied to Oxford knowing it was risky and it seems that the same applies to one of your Scottish universities. The other Scottish university you now consider too far but it was the same distance when you applied. You have 2 other the choices so hopefully you get offers from there and you will find one of them acceptable. If not you can apply to other universities one at a time through Ucas extra when it opens but it would mean declining all your other choices.

You need to act more responsibly and accept that the reason you are in this position is your failure to choose suitable universities and accept the consequences instead of trying to make an excuse of extenuating circumstances. The only person who created this situation is you.
joalpq
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
I dont see that you have any extenuating circumstances. You applied to Oxford knowing it was risky and it seems that the same applies to one of your Scottish universities. The other Scottish university you now consider too far but it was the same distance when you applied. You have 2 other the choices so hopefully you get offers from there and you will find one of them acceptable. If not you can apply to other universities one at a time through Ucas extra when it opens but it would mean declining all your other choices.

You need to act more responsibly and accept that the reason you are in this position is your failure to choose suitable universities and accept the consequences instead of trying to make an excuse of extenuating circumstances. The only person who created this situation is you.
You don't know anything about me and situations change. I have extenuating circumstances so I am just asking for advice on how to contact UCAS.
joalpq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hey,

I am sorry that you are feeling this way about your application.

It would be best to contact UCAS about the complete withdrawal and re-submit at this stage of the year.

As mentioned already you could always apply through UCAS Extra, but this would mean declining all current offers/choices and making an application on a one by one process.

Finally UCAS clearing will open around July time, but of course this would depend on whether your course is still available at this time and is available through Clearing.

Tom :five:
Thank you.

Do you know how likely it is that they will accept it given my circumstances?
joalpq
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Phone UCAS and see if they can help.

If they can't, Plan B would be to decline all your offers when they come in, so you would be free to apply to new unis in UCAS Extra

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a.../extra-choices
I will phone UCAS but I don't want to say the wrong thing.

UCAS Extra sounds really risky.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The Scottish ones are too far away I am having panic attacks about being too far from my family

This is your statement and quite simply should have been part of your decision making. The distances and risks were known at the time. Not extenuating circumstances
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I will phone UCAS but I don't want to say the wrong thing.

UCAS Extra sounds really risky.
Make a few bullet points about what you want to say before you phone. I don't know if they will let you reapply this year but they might if they accept that you have valid extenuating circumstances. However, it is probably more likely that they won't let you reapply as changing your mind about unis due to distance would not be a valid reason as you knew about that when you applied.

UCAS Extra is risky - not as much as you might think because you could get verbal agreement from the new uni that they are likely to accept you before you declined all your offers. But in your first post you made it sound as though you had no interest in attending the unis you are likely to get offers from. If that is still the case when Extra opens at the end of Feb, you haven't really got a lot to lose
Isinglass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But what you have detailed here does not really amount to extenuating circumstances- unless you are saying that someone else completed your UCAS application in your name, without your knowledge?
Why did you apply to the universities that you did, given that they are either too far away or you don't want to go there? (Oxford, I guess we all get, although you must have known from the stats that the university itself publishes, that your chance of not getting in was much greater than the chance that you would be successful). Didn't the Scottish ones seem quite a long way from home when you went to their open days?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Make a few bullet points about what you want to say before you phone. I don't know if they will let you reapply this year but they might if they accept that you have valid extenuating circumstances. However, it is probably more likely that they won't let you reapply as changing your mind about unis due to distance would not be a valid reason as you knew about that when you applied.

UCAS Extra is risky - not as much as you might think because you could get verbal agreement from the new uni that they are likely to accept you before you declined all your offers. But in your first post you made it sound as though you had no interest in attending the unis you are likely to get offers from. If that is still the case when Extra opens at the end of Feb, you haven't really got a lot to lose
Can I just add to this that the application for Oxbridge applicants would have had to be made over 6 weeks ago. It is only now that there has been a rejection by Oxford that this is being brought up as a problem. I cannot see anyway Ucas is going to accept another application and the only option is either accepting one of the other 2 options or a university in Extra although many leading universities will not be in Extra. Otherwise withdrawing the application taking a gap year and reapplying with actual grades is the other option
Last edited by swanseajack1; 1 week ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Can I just add to this that the application for Oxbridge applicants would have had to be made over 6 weeks ago. It is only now that there has been a rejection by Oxford that this is being brought up as a problem. I cannot see anyway Ucas is going to accept another application and the only option is either accepting one of the other 2 options or a university in Extra although many leading universities will not be in Extra. Otherwise withdrawing the application taking a gap year and reapplying with actual grades is the other option
I imagine the extenuating circumstances would be linked to the panic attacks but OP knows what his options are now. Phone UCAS for advice, if they can't do anything then accept the best offer or decline them all and apply somewhere new in Extra
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it doesnt alter the fact that OP applied for Scottish universities knowing how far away they are and Oxford knowing the potential risk of rejection. Panic attacks can occur anywhere irrespective of distance away. The alternative is to attend the local university and stay at home. If your 100 or 200 miles away isnt going to make a difference about panic attacks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (352)
46.44%
No (81)
10.69%
I'm not old enough (325)
42.88%

Watched Threads