How many lectures/seminars do you miss? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So im in first year wondering how many classes you guys miss. Tbh i think i miss at least one lecture and seminar each week.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It was rare I missed any
Anonymous #1
(Original post by gjd800)
It was rare I missed any
hmm i see. Sometimes the lectures are pretty pointless as lecturers read off slides.
Precious Illusions
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
University bored my tits off tbh so I missed a lot of it.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hmm i see. Sometimes the lectures are pretty pointless as lecturers read off slides.
Yeah there's lots of bad technique in HE

I used going in as a reason to spend that day being productive. I had roundabout an hour's commute so it woulda been easy for me to get into bad habits!
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
None
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
In first year I missed quite a few lectures - at the start I attended all because I was eager, but then I found out the lectures were recorded. Second year I attended probably even fewer lectures, because I live at home and I had like an hour in a day, which to me is pointless when I can then just listen to lectures at home. I went to all seminars - occasionally I'd miss one or two - simply because they took attendance. Unfortunately, they care a lot more for third year attendance to both lectures and seminars, so now I attend all, including the 9ams in the freezing cold while my lecturer reads off the slides stuff WE'VE ALREADY COVERED.
bennyj901
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I find many are not worth going to and all of them are recorded so I know most do not attend. I have a commute in every day that takes just over an hour. Wednesday I only have one lecture, so spending over 2 hours traveling up to university for a lecture (which usually lasts less than 40 minutes) is something I don't do thank you very much (£12 ticket £6 parking £7 taxi are also big reasons not to go to it). The rest I always go to, especially since there are no lectures on a Thursday for me.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bennyj901)
I find many are not worth going to and all of them are recorded so I know most do not attend. I have a commute in every day that takes just over an hour. Wednesday I only have one lecture, so spending over 2 hours traveling up to university for a lecture (which usually lasts less than 40 minutes) is something I don't do thank you very much (£12 ticket £6 parking £7 taxi are also big reasons not to go to it). The rest I always go to, especially since there are no lectures on a Thursday for me.
I’m in a pretty similar situation actually. However for one of my modules I’ve been lacking and haven’t gone to the lecture since week 2 but went to nearly all the seminars. Hopefully I can work on that
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ehhh... a couple but it’s not that bad
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't miss any seminars, usually found them really useful for bouncing off ideas.

I'm really bad for missing lectures though, all of mine are recorded so I prefer working from home and listening to them. Probably not the best idea though since the lecturers make the effort of showing up.
Elbram
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in first year and missed 1 lecture so far. I was waiting for an Amazon delivery...
I'm going to try not to miss any more though.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I don't miss any seminars, usually found them really useful for bouncing off ideas.

I'm really bad for missing lectures though, all of mine are recorded so I prefer working from home and listening to them. Probably not the best idea though since the lecturers make the effort of showing up.
it can be disheartening for staff but end of the day we get paid regardless

Some in our place refuse to upload recorded ones if there is a pattern of non-attendance. Dunno how i feel about that but I incline to it being a bad move
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
None
I didn't miss a single lecture
bennyj901
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Should mention my tutorial today had 3 people in it... one arriving 15 minutes late
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
First year of uni i didn't really miss any tbf, i was quite on the ball, however, this year, with commuting, my brother having brain damage, my dad having a lung disease and caring for both of them while i also suffer with a disease and work 24 hours a week, i messed up my attendance so far this year. Those situations in my life isn't an excuse to not go in though, its all down to me and i should be going in. But i know i'll pick it up in second term.

Don't go to uni and not turn up, its pointless. You'll get into a bad habit and fail.
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Almost a whole semester. The lecturers were seriously bad and I didn't learn a single thing, so I found it more productive to study the modules I missed on my own.
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I didn't miss many, but I also didn't apply myself as well as I could to many of those lectures. I struggled with fatigue, concentration and motivation.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So im in first year wondering how many classes you guys miss. Tbh i think i miss at least one lecture and seminar each week.
Hi there,

Personally I missed no lectures and seminars. It's a personal choice but I would check whether your attendance to lectures/seminars are monitored as consistently missing them might be flagged by the university and this can affect your studies. As others have said, it's also a bad habit to get into.

Fi :horse:
Last edited by Liverpool Hope University; 1 week ago
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I found both my lectures and seminars useful, so I attended almost all of them (except for when I was ill).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (280)
47.54%
No (68)
11.54%
I'm not old enough (241)
40.92%

Watched Threads