Politically 'Coming out' Watch

bennyj901
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have spoken to a few people (mainly students and teachers/lecturers) about the upcoming election and I have heard many say they plan to vote Conservative. Many tag onto the end 'don't tell anyone though'.

Some were joking clearly, but others seemed genuinely concerned that I would since they say they are worried about being ostracised or attacked for their political views. One former teacher of mine from college even says he lies to his co workers about intending to vote Labour.

I am a Conservative supporter myself and know exactly the sort of attacks they are talking about (Tory C**t and scum are my personal favourites). I understand many, including most people on here, believe the Conservatives and their supporters are insensitive, however from my experience it is those who are right of centre that receive some of the most vile verbal abuse, to the point people are genuinely afraid of stating they are a Conservative voter or simply lie and say they aren't.
HoldThisL
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
all of my friends know that im a conservative and i voted for boris johnson in the leadership election but i don't care enough about anything especially political for someone else to yield a joke from me at my expense

it's a good source of jokes within the friendship group though
bennyj901
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
all of my friends know that im a conservative and i voted for boris johnson in the leadership election but i don't care enough about anything especially political for someone else to yield a joke from me at my expense

it's a good source of jokes within the friendship group though
Oh trust me it is the same with me, I know many find it shocking you can be friends with someone who disagrees with you politically but the vast majority of my friends are Labour supporters proud members of the 'don't care, mate' party.

I just was a bit surprised when I got to talking to some people in my university and thier insistence I keep it a secret they are a Conservative supporter.
abcthe123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Who you vote for is of your own concern and not a single person else, regardless of who you support.

I keep my political views to myself and I couldn't care less about other people's. That's how it should be. Stay away from people who treat you differently or try and lecture you for who you vote for. The vast majority of people don't even understand politics anyway, just some vague conception of it.
bennyj901
Rep:
?
(Original post by abcthe123)
Who you vote for is of your own concern and not a single person else, regardless of who you support.

I keep my political views to myself and I couldn't care less about other people's. That's how it should be. Stay away from people who treat you differently or try and lecture you for who you vote for. The vast majority of people don't even understand politics anyway, just some vague conception of it.
Very true, but I am someone who likes to try and understand why someone can have a different opinion to me, since in my mind it is perfectly logical to vote Conservative but I am completely open to hearing other peoples views and ideas.

I do not consider a debate to be hurling insults at one another however and both sides are guilty of this to an equal degree. However like I say I found it so strange some people were so terrified at the prospect of their 'secret' getting out, especially since they were so willing and open to talk about it with a fellow Conservative supporter.
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
"Shy Tory" is a common enough thing to merit a wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shy_Tory_factor
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In fairness, if they don't want to be called ***** perhaps they shouldnt do *****sh things and elect *****sh leaders?
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
In fairness, if they don't want to be called ***** perhaps they shouldnt do *****sh things and elect *****sh leaders?
mood
Kitten in boots
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Imagine being so insecure that you conceal your values/views for fear of criticism.
bennyj901
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
Imagine being so insecure that you conceal your values/views for fear of criticism.
Less valid criticism (of which there is plenty) and more nonsensical verbal attacks based on nothing but hatred for a political party you happen to support.
bennyj901
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Same apply for the Labour party then? Strange since their leader has a background of supporting those who would do us harm.

Even if it does (which it doesn't, at least on the same scale), it shouldn't because nobody should be the victim of childish name calling. Also seems rather strange you assume just because you are a Conservative support means you bow down before the party's leaders.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bennyj901)
Same apply for the Labour party then? Strange since their leader has a background of supporting those who would do us harm.
I never said it didn't?

Even if it does (which it doesn't, at least on the same scale), it shouldn't because nobody should be the victim of childish name calling. Also seems rather strange you assume just because you are a Conservative support means you bow down before the party's leaders.[/quote]
Maybe they should maybe they shouldnt. It makes little difference though as that is the reality of the age.
You know what they say about assuming things right? It makes an ass out of you. As it has done quite succinctly here.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Haha, imagine being a tory...

But on a serious note, I can relate. I was bombarded in my high school when I said I was a Tory and pro-brexit (including by a teacher), even just a couple of days ago when I was posting leaflets for my local Tory candidate I got some abuse, but as a thick skinned individual (in more ways than 1...) it doesn't bother me much. I wouldn't say centre right get the most, try being full on right wing (not far right of course, we don't need more of them), it goes down a storm with lefties.

I have spoken to a few people (mainly students and teachers/lecturers) about the upcoming election and I have heard many say they plan to vote Conservative. Many tag onto the end 'don't tell anyone though'.

Some were joking clearly, but others seemed genuinely concerned that I would since they say they are worried about being ostracised or attacked for their political views. One former teacher of mine from college even says he lies to his co workers about intending to vote Labour.

I am a Conservative supporter myself and know exactly the sort of attacks they are talking about (Tory C**t and scum are my personal favourites). I understand many, including most people on here, believe the Conservatives and their supporters are insensitive, however from my experience it is those who are right of centre that receive some of the most vile verbal abuse, to the point people are genuinely afraid of stating they are a Conservative voter or simply lie and say they aren't.
rekanem
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You'll be alright. You're not a victim because you're right-wing. Stand in what you believe and grow a thick skin.
bennyj901
Rep:
?
(Original post by rekanem)
You'll be alright. You're not a victim because you're right-wing. Stand in what you believe and grow a thick skin.
No no not referring to me in this situation. Like I say I was just shocked how many people see to be hidden Conservative supporters and how guilty they seem to admit it. I let people know almost immediately I am a supporter of the party. Those who just hurl insults I don't bother with but debating a point is something I enjoy very much.
bennyj901
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
I never said it didn't?

Even if it does (which it doesn't, at least on the same scale), it shouldn't because nobody should be the victim of childish name calling. Also seems rather strange you assume just because you are a Conservative support means you bow down before the party's leaders.
Maybe they should maybe they shouldnt. It makes little difference though as that is the reality of the age.
You know what they say about assuming things right? It makes an ass out of you. As it has done quite succinctly here.[/QUOTE]

I could just as easily say I didn't vote for Boris or the cabinet. Many of those 'incognito' Conservatives also wish they had different leaders.

Looks like you are assuming things about us now.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I could just as easily say I didn't vote for Boris or the cabinet. Many of those 'incognito' Conservatives also wish they had different leaders.

Looks like you are assuming things about us now
Say what you want, i fail to see the relevance of that statement.

Pray tell what assumption one has made?
bennyj901
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Say what you want, i fail to see the relevance of that statement.

Pray tell what assumption one has made?
Well you seem to assume every single Conservative supporter is immediately infatuated with the party leaders, and is thus a c**t.

If it were up to me I would change almost half the cabinet, the leader, and clean house of all advisors. This is something many fellow Tory c**ts agree with.

The relevance of the pervious statement was to your point, 'if we don't want to be called ***** don't do ****** things and elect ****** leaders." Since many Conservative supporters are not party members and Jeremy Hunt received a fair share of the leadership votes, what other ****y things do we do?
Last edited by bennyj901; 1 week ago
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well you seem to assume every single Conservative supporter is immediately infatuated with the party leaders, and is thus a c**t.
I don't recall saying anything to that effect? It would seem you're taking liberties with my original comment and drawing some, amusing, conclusions.
If it were up to me I would change almost half the cabinet, the leader, and clean house of all advisors. This is something many fellow Tory c**ts agree with.
I'm sure they do, again not overly relevant though.
The relevance of the pervious statement was to your point, 'if we don't want to be called ***** don't do ****** things and elect ****** leaders." Since many Conservative supporters are not party members and Jeremy Hunt received a fair share of the leadership votes, what other ****y things do we do?
It seems a nerve has been struck, how nice.
But seeing as Hunt (****) is hardly any better than the current supreme leader... Alas, for poor Rory.
Cheesychips2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
voting Tory is the right thing to do, for queen and country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (158)
47.45%
No (42)
12.61%
I'm not old enough (133)
39.94%

Watched Threads