ne02d
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am applying for 2020 and looking to do a degree in maths. My predicted grades are A*A*A, with both the A* in maths and further maths, the third is in physics. So far I have liked Manchester and Birmingham but I don’t know about any others. Was wondering which universities could give me the best prospects after graduation. Universities within London are not an option.

Thanks
anonym0u$
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied for maths and stats at Oxford,warwick, bath, imperial and kings. there are some other great unis like Durham (they don't do maths and stats) and st Andrews.
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...tics?year=2019 you can go to that website and sort by maths and see the rankings. I also advise to apply to at least one uni with a lower requirement just in case things don't go to plan.
ne02d
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonym0u$)
I applied for maths and stats at Oxford,warwick, bath, imperial and kings. there are some other great unis like Durham (they don't do maths and stats) and st Andrews.
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...tics?year=2019 you can go to that website and sort by maths and see the rankings. I also advise to apply to at least one uni with a lower requirement just in case things don't go to plan.
Thanks, what do you think of the two I already quoted?
anonym0u$
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ne02d)
If you like them then by all means apply to them. However, statistically speaking they are not the best for the course you want to apply for and with your predicted grades, you can easily get offers from the top unis for maths.
ne02d
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonym0u$)
If you like them then by all means apply to them. However, statistically speaking they are not the best for the course you want to apply for and with your predicted grades, you can easily get offers from the top unis for maths.
Do you know anything about Bristol or Warwick?
anonym0u$
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ne02d)
A family friend of mine went to warwick for MORSE and he said it was tough and he enjoyed and htat the student life was pretty good over there, not to far from the town centre and there was quite a lot to do. I dont know a lot about bristol though
theolove
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ne02d)
Hi, there is this acronym COWI (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwrick and Imperial) they are suppsoedly the best for mathematics in the UK.
anonym0u$
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by theolove)
Hi, there is this acronym COWI (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwrick and Imperial) they are suppsoedly the best for mathematics in the UK.
unfortunately the deadline for the 2020 application for cambridge and oxford was in october 2019 and imperial is in london
anonym0u$
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wewerekings)
Hi, I'm thinking of going to imperial after getting rejected by oxford. Im holding offers from warwick and durham.
I heard lots of bad things about London, but i don't think it will affect my college life that much. Also i know that imperial is infamous for their geeks/nerds population. I just can't grasp how bad it actually is. Im an oversea applicant so can you tell me about the London stuff?? (dm if you are uncomfortable talking here)
I am also thinking about going imperial as I also got rejected from Oxford. I live in London and I've never heard anything about geeks in imperial. the only bad thing about London is that everything is expensive. apart from that there's nothing too bad about London there are many tourists attractions to go to and the underground train system in London is very good
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ne02d)
Bath is better than Bristol ... Warwick is a marmite choice so you'd need to visit.
kanako231
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ne02d)
I am applying for 2020 and looking to do a degree in maths. My predicted grades are A*A*A, with both the A* in maths and further maths, the third is in physics. So far I have liked Manchester and Birmingham but I don’t know about any others. Was wondering which universities could give me the best prospects after graduation. Universities within London are not an option.

Thanks
Oxford init
AM_TSR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've heard Warwick are very good for Maths & Economics related subjects
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ne02d)
Why didn't you apply to Oxbridge? You don't seem to be aiming quite high enough, IMO. Whilst good, Manchester isn't quite at the same level and Imperial and Oxbridge.

Imperial is difficult to get into, so is often paired with Oxbridge to get two chances of a top-tier university.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ne02d)
You need to look at the content - do you prefer pure or applied? Ignore rankings - course content is more important.
Interea
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got 4A*s and I'm at Birmingham, and I won't lie I'm incredibly bored and considering dropping out - I'd recommend going somewhere that requires further maths, as we've spent this whole first term revising basic GCSE stuff and starting the further maths content at a ridiculously slow pace compared to how fast we covered it in school. Not sure I can deal with wasting much more of my time carrying on here...

I knew we'd be going over the further maths content again, and I was okay with that as I thought it would give me time to settle in, but it has actually been ridiculous how slow we go. Nice uni, but the course isn't great if you're used to actually learning stuff.
ne02d
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
I got 4A*s and I'm at Birmingham, and I won't lie I'm incredibly bored and considering dropping out - I'd recommend going somewhere that requires further maths, as we've spent this whole first term revising basic GCSE stuff and starting the further maths content at a ridiculously slow pace compared to how fast we covered it in school. Not sure I can deal with wasting much more of my time carrying on here...

I knew we'd be going over the further maths content again, and I was okay with that as I thought it would give me time to settle in, but it has actually been ridiculous how slow we go. Nice uni, but the course isn't great if you're used to actually learning stuff.
In terms of employability, how is Birmingham for that. I’m not the most naturally gifted at further maths so I figured that a slower pace and a refresh would be good. Are you sure you’re not ridiculously smart😂
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Are you dropping out and reapplying for maths at somewhere more prestigious?
ne02d
Rep:
?
(Original post by ne02d)
In terms of employability, how is Birmingham for that. I’m not the most naturally gifted at further maths so I figured that a slower pace and a refresh would be good. Are you sure you’re not ridiculously smart😂

Did you ever consider Bristol, it says it’s gone downhill the last couple years on university rankings, I was wondering if there was anything in that?
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

+1 Yeah unfortunately there is huge variation on the quality and pace of courses especially for maths. This makes it very important that you pick a university that's pitched to a level right for you. Few seem to recognise this. (for some reason people seem to think maths courses are the most uniform, when the opposite may be true!)
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ne02d)
Current warwick student, happy to clarify anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (65)
27.08%
1 (40)
16.67%
2 (40)
16.67%
3 (33)
13.75%
4 (16)
6.67%
5 (20)
8.33%