Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've been at university since September 20th ish, started doing something different, transferred in the first week to another course, still don't like it. I have no motivation to study to mine and other people's detriments so far. I am now living in a city, I am from the countryside, it seems I don't like being in the city very much as I've learn these last few months. I've been ill since I got here with various things and I don't really fancy going out clubbing and drinking like everyone else. I feel like dropping out, I've spoken to friends who have managed to settle in, well most people have apparently. I have also spoken to family who agree it might be the right choice, just unsure about how finance would work and yes I would like to try uni again but in a smaller place on a different course (reapplying sept 2020). I just feel like a failure who can't get on with things like a normal person though, this keeps happening...For example, I have left like every job I have had in like 2 months (minus one job I loved) because I didn't like them, dropped out of college because it made me depressed after I skipped one of my A Levels and failed because 3 were too hard and have already had a gap year where I tried college, dropped out and studied and achieved the third one at home, in the gap year and went travelling and when I was travelling I got depressed and came home early, bailing on my best friend and causing a really long falling out. What if I go to another uni and drop out AGAIN? I literally have no clue could every make me happy but I know it isn't where I am now. Help, in any way.
anonym0u$
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm sorry to here that and I hope you manage to figure everything out! Uni is not for everyone. if you tried out uni and you clearly didn't like it it's fine and it happens to a lot of people. maybe try apprenticeships...
nowadays the higher level apprenticeships are seen to be equal to a degree and you gain practical experience, a higher chance of securing a job at the company whilst being paid compared to people who have graduated from uni who are 30,000£ in debt and are trying to get a job for months.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been at university since September 20th ish, started doing something different, transferred in the first week to another course, still don't like it. I have no motivation to study to mine and other people's detriments so far. I am now living in a city, I am from the countryside, it seems I don't like being in the city very much as I've learn these last few months. I've been ill since I got here with various things and I don't really fancy going out clubbing and drinking like everyone else. I feel like dropping out, I've spoken to friends who have managed to settle in, well most people have apparently. I have also spoken to family who agree it might be the right choice, just unsure about how finance would work and yes I would like to try uni again but in a smaller place on a different course (reapplying sept 2020). I just feel like a failure who can't get on with things like a normal person though, this keeps happening...For example, I have left like every job I have had in like 2 months (minus one job I loved) because I didn't like them, dropped out of college because it made me depressed after I skipped one of my A Levels and failed because 3 were too hard and have already had a gap year where I tried college, dropped out and studied and achieved the third one at home, in the gap year and went travelling and when I was travelling I got depressed and came home early, bailing on my best friend and causing a really long falling out. What if I go to another uni and drop out AGAIN? I literally have no clue could every make me happy but I know it isn't where I am now. Help, in any way.
If you haven't been to uni before, there will be no problem with getting student finance to start another degree in September. If you drop out of your current course before Christmas, you will only have to pay back 25% of the year's tuition fees but will probably be liable for accommodation costs for the whole year if no replacement tenant can be found - check this with student services.

You sound like a person who is prone to depression and while there is nothing you can do about having that tendency, there are things you can do to make things as easy on yourself as possible. I would say that moving to a smaller uni closer to home is an excellent idea, and also doing a course that you are more suited to. There are no guarantees in life, I can't guarantee that you will be happier at a different uni but they are all good ideas to help you feel happier.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (278)
48.18%
No (65)
11.27%
I'm not old enough (234)
40.55%

Watched Threads