Course cancelled last minute!? Watch

Ellegal
Badges: 3
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all, I was due to start full-time GDL in January 2020, have signed for accommodation and already paid the first months rent, I am now liable for the full contract. I have also quit my job and have 1 week’s notice left and taken a personal loan to pay for the tuition fees from a bank..
I have received a phone call today saying there are insufficient students on the course and they have cancelled it on my campus. As you can imagine I am completely distraught and worried about my financial situation. Does anyone know how much the University would be able to compensate me for if I deferred until September?

Thanks in advance
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ellegal)
Hi all, I was due to start full-time GDL in January 2020, have signed for accommodation and already paid the first months rent, I am now liable for the full contract. I have also quit my job and have 1 week’s notice left and taken a personal loan to pay for the tuition fees from a bank..
I have received a phone call today saying there are insufficient students on the course and they have cancelled it on my campus. As you can imagine I am completely distraught and worried about my financial situation. Does anyone know how much the University would be able to compensate me for if I deferred until September?

Thanks in advance
Talk to Shelter or better still your local law centre about the legal position.
Eitrher against the course providers, but expect its covered in the small print or to try and get out of the tenancy. Even some private LL's might release you for a fee.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ellegal)

Thanks in advance
I'm sorry to hear that you've been put in such an awful position.

Given that you've made financial commitments that you can't easily back out of, you should bring this up with the student union. I don't know how likely you are to get much compensation, but the finer details need to be looked over for sure (i.e. was it made clear anywhere in your course literature that the course could be cancelled without much notice?).

Are you able to find out how many other people were affected? Having more people on your side may help you construct a stronger case.
Ellegal
(Original post by 999tigger)
Talk to Shelter or better still your local law centre about the legal position.
Eitrher against the course providers, but expect its covered in the small print or to try and get out of the tenancy. Even some private LL's might release you for a fee.
Thank you! Waiting to hear back from their finance department as when she cancelled on the phone she said they would look to reimburse costs that I’ve incurred from the situation, but I don’t know to what extent
Ellegal
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I'm sorry to hear that you've been put in such an awful position.

Given that you've made financial commitments that you can't easily back out of, you should bring this up with the student union. I don't know how likely you are to get much compensation, but the finer details need to be looked over for sure (i.e. was it made clear anywhere in your course literature that the course could be cancelled without much notice?).

Are you able to find out how many other people were affected? Having more people on your side may help you construct a stronger case
Thank you for your kind reply, it’s been a horrible day!

No it wasn’t made clear anywhere unfortunately and I’ve received my starter pack and asked to enrol etc and my online pre-study for the GDL etc. I was hoping by posting on here that people who have also been affected might see it so fingers crossed!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (270)
48.04%
No (65)
11.57%
I'm not old enough (227)
40.39%

Watched Threads