leannesmith
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
i’m in year 11. i study 2 of 3 sciences: bio and chem. i’m thinking of taking both of these for a level, along with geography. i am hoping to do medicine when i am older, or just something similar to that (science researcher etc). I know for sure i want to take biology as it seems like more of a factual subject from what i’ve heard. chemistry i’m not so sure. i’m achieving a range of grades from 6-8 (mostly 6/7’s) at the moment but it takes me a while to understand. idk whether a level would be too hard? i’m willing to work rlly hard but not sure if i will do well. Oh and about geography, apparently for medical kinda courses all u need is bio, chem and “another academic subject”. i decided geog because i find it decent at gcse. is this a good choice? ahhh so many questions. i’m sorry
12holl34
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Here's a good thing to read if you're stuck with A Level choices, theres a section on which this a level to choose too http://medicjourney.travel.blog/2019...your-a-levels/
Kadams27
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Chemistry is really interesting but you really do have to be prepared to work very hard for it. I got 9 at GCSE but there are parts of the A Level so far that I really just don't understand (although that may just be due to bad teacher ). It's certainly not impossible, but you will need to work hard and since everything builds on previous content, it's vital that if you don't understand something you get it sorted out quickly otherwise you'll struggle with the following content. The practicals are done extremely accurately and precisely (which I'm guessing will be the same for bio anyway). There's a lot of maths involved (a lot more than bio I think) and lots of problem solving questions, for example in a question involving moles you may have to do 4 or 5 steps to get the answer. It's known as one of the hardest a levels for a reason, but it is definitely doable and so interesting and rewarding.
I also do geography and tbh it's not one of the most exciting subjects. I've just spent a half term doing the water and carbon cycle which was extremely boring. But there are some relevant topics covered, and interesting content in places. There's lots of links with both bio and chem which would be good for you. One of the great things about geog is that it's very versatile in terms of content and skills - there's a good amount of maths as well as essay writing. The fieldwork part will help your ability to do investigations and experiments, and analyse these which will be useful skills for your medical. So good and bad points about geog really.
Good luck whatever you choose to do
leannesmith
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by Kadams27)
Chemistry is really interesting but you really do have to be prepared to work very hard for it. I got 9 at GCSE but there are parts of the A Level so far that I really just don't understand (although that may just be due to bad teacher ). It's certainly not impossible, but you will need to work hard and since everything builds on previous content, it's vital that if you don't understand something you get it sorted out quickly otherwise you'll struggle with the following content. The practicals are done extremely accurately and precisely (which I'm guessing will be the same for bio anyway). There's a lot of maths involved (a lot more than bio I think) and lots of problem solving questions, for example in a question involving moles you may have to do 4 or 5 steps to get the answer. It's known as one of the hardest a levels for a reason, but it is definitely doable and so interesting and rewarding.
I also do geography and tbh it's not one of the most exciting subjects. I've just spent a half term doing the water and carbon cycle which was extremely boring. But there are some relevant topics covered, and interesting content in places. There's lots of links with both bio and chem which would be good for you. One of the great things about geog is that it's very versatile in terms of content and skills - there's a good amount of maths as well as essay writing. The fieldwork part will help your ability to do investigations and experiments, and analyse these which will be useful skills for your medical. So good and bad points about geog really.
Good luck whatever you choose to do
thankyou for your help! i think i will do geography as it will be quite a different mixture of subjects. do you have any tips on how to revise for chemistry? i use flash cards at the moment but some people say that they don’t help with a level?
Kadams27
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 hours ago
(Original post by leannesmith)
thankyou for your help! i think i will do geography as it will be quite a different mixture of subjects. do you have any tips on how to revise for chemistry? i use flash cards at the moment but some people say that they don’t help with a level?
Flash cards are useful for revising key terms and definitions etc. but the best thing to do to revise is practise answering questions. Use past papers, exam practice books, questions from the textbook etc. Particularly practise the longer questions such as the multi-step problems which require you to work out what bits you need to do, and the 6 mark questions. Use these to work out which areas of the content you need to work on (make more flash cards!) and to get familiar with the format of questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.75%
Labour (554)
51.68%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.43%
Green Party (59)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)