The Student Room Group

Does anyone else love the idea of travelling but hate the reality of it?

I’ve always wanted to travel. I used to fantasise about it all the time when I was younger and even these days, the idea of just getting in a car and road tripping or country hopping is so alluring to me.
However, I know that I’d hate the reality of travelling. I can’t imagine road tripping, being stuck in a stuffy car for hours every day for two weeks, peeing in bushes or petrol stations. And where would I even shower and brush my teeth lol?
I’ve been travelling to many countries with my family (and once with a friend) and though I look back on those times with rose-tinted glasses, my experiences never seem to compare with YouTube travel vloggers.
In reality, it’s grimy and tiring and I feel like it would crush many friendships. Anyone else?
Road tripping is fine for me, it's all part of the fun. It's planes that terrify me.
This is normally why people take aeroplanes and book hotels, to circumvent the grimy bits
Reply 3
lmao camping
Original post by Anonymous
...my experiences never seem to compare with YouTube travel vloggers.

You only see what they want you to see. And what they want you to see is them having a fantastic time.
Yes! I went travelling (by plane and then interrail) with my best friend, her boyfriend and his best friend. We went to 4 different countries before I got too stressed and hated the reality of it, the close proximity and the friendship politics and the moving and then money stress, I went to Paris to meet with my boyfriend and back home. I fell out with the friend for a while but we are fine now. It makes me scared because I did love seeing the places just wish it was so much less stressful.
I've never travelled before but the whole idea sounds so stressful.
Reply 7
As long as it doesn't involve a tent I can bear most things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending