helpme111
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I just had parent's evening and don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting the best parents evening since i did really badly in all my subjects(bio C,chem D and maths E)The grades were the first main test in Year 12. I was hoping to do medicine or pharmacy but these grades have put me off.My dad mentioned that I would like to do medicine to my biology teacher and he straight out said that the best i could do was a D. I don't know what to do cos my target grades are all As but he said that's unrealistic and I'll only get Ds.I feel sooo unmotivated and discouraged to revise knowing that not even my teachers think I'll pass. Has anyone been in the same situation??
mistie90
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
should probably just try to revise just for the sake of telling them otherwise to be fair. I think what's meant to say is if you continue being the way you are (not trying hard enough, perhaps?), you'll get Ds. If you sit down and bash it out, you'll get better grades definitely, that goes with everyone. Don't get discouraged just because someone put down a statement about that kinda stuff, that's just kind of rude. Life will bring you down and be a becch, but you gotta make it your beech, so don't have yourself get influenced that way and show them otherwise.
DGeorge13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by helpme111)
I just had parent's evening and don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting the best parents evening since i did really badly in all my subjects(bio C,chem D and maths E)The grades were the first main test in Year 12. I was hoping to do medicine or pharmacy but these grades have put me off.My dad mentioned that I would like to do medicine to my biology teacher and he straight out said that the best i could do was a D. I don't know what to do cos my target grades are all As but he said that's unrealistic and I'll only get Ds.I feel sooo unmotivated and discouraged to revise knowing that not even my teachers think I'll pass. Has anyone been in the same situation??
Firstly, a d is actually a pass at a level. Genuinely though, I understand that it is really tough going from school to college and being on high grades at GCSEs then dropping at a level but try not to worry too much just yet. I wasn’t in the same situation as you but know that I was the only person that got an a in my first chemistry test and the next person got a c so it is definitely a massive step up and the teachers should be aware of this. I think my advice would be to look over your tests and ask yourself where you went wrong: was it exam technique, not knowing content as you hadn’t studied or not understanding etc and then from there build a plan so maybe ask a teacher if they could explain exam technique or revise more or watch some videos etc.
After that I would suggest past paper questions as they are really the only way to get better.
Please try not to let this put you off but do use it as motivation although you may need to be aware of the fact that you may need to reconsider your post 16 options if you are still around these grades at summer or Easter or at least think about alternative ways to get where you want at the moment they are probably still fine so long as you look at areas for development and start actioning them
helpme111
Rep:
?
(Original post by mistie90)
should probably just try to revise just for the sake of telling them otherwise to be fair. I think what's meant to say is if you continue being the way you are (not trying hard enough, perhaps?), you'll get Ds. If you sit down and bash it out, you'll get better grades definitely, that goes with everyone. Don't get discouraged just because someone put down a statement about that kinda stuff, that's just kind of rude. Life will bring you down and be a becch, but you gotta make it your beech, so don't have yourself get influenced that way and show them otherwise.
Thank you for the advice.I'll try not get discouraged about it cos what he said was true to an extent about me not trying hard enough. It's just that I'm sensitive and I feel bad about getting the grades that I got.
mistie90
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you for the advice.I'll try not get discouraged about it cos what he said was true to an extent about me not trying hard enough. It's just that I'm sensitive and I feel bad about getting the grades that I got.
that's okay, but that's you subconsciously knowing that you've gone wrong somewhere, and because you acknowledge it, that's the first small step. I think what is important is that you stay put and try not to drag your nose down, think about the future (even if you don't know what you want to do in the future yet), because standing up against people that say you will fail is going to be a big part of life unfortunately and you need to be strong and not let them beat you down. I hope you actually prove them wrong!
LemonMan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ds?????????? That's a 3! Arrrrrrrrrg! 1 to 3s are fails! Your teacher should have said "I expect you to fail!" Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg! Try your best not to fail. The way I revised for my January and October resit at GCSE was to: Read the revision books information and examples, read dictionaries and then think about it; Do anything but actually attempt the questions. Remembering how to answer questions requires memory, understanding the answers requires intelligence.

Ooops, I got triggered, this is for A level. I don't know anything about A levels.
Last edited by LemonMan; 1 week ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's tricky. Grade predictions can only be made on the basis of what's gone before, i.e. your current achievement, achievement in tests, GCSEs etc. There's a fair amount of statistical analysis which goes into these predictions, plus the professional opinion of the teaching staff, based on hundreds of observations.

It is to be hoped that all candidates outperform their predictions. But it would not be fair on you, or the school, just to predict high grades where no evidence for them exist. I understand this could come across as discouraging, but you must be able to see the logic in it. If you're working at a D grade, and all your tests and results so far confirm this, there really is no reason why a teacher could, in all good faith, start predicting much higher grades, based on not much more than a 'hope'.

Medicine would really require you to be getting A*AA or AAA, so maybe you need to think about whether that really is realistic, in order not to go down a path which is not really achievable for you.
helpme111
Rep:
?
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Firstly, a d is actually a pass at a level. Genuinely though, I understand that it is really tough going from school to college and being on high grades at GCSEs then dropping at a level but try not to worry too much just yet. I wasn’t in the same situation as you but know that I was the only person that got an a in my first chemistry test and the next person got a c so it is definitely a massive step up and the teachers should be aware of this. I think my advice would be to look over your tests and ask yourself where you went wrong: was it exam technique, not knowing content as you hadn’t studied or not understanding etc and then from there build a plan so maybe ask a teacher if they could explain exam technique or revise more or watch some videos etc.
After that I would suggest past paper questions as they are really the only way to get better.
Please try not to let this put you off but do use it as motivation although you may need to be aware of the fact that you may need to reconsider your post 16 options if you are still around these grades at summer or Easter or at least think about alternative ways to get where you want at the moment they are probably still fine so long as you look at areas for development and start actioning them
Thank you so much for the tips. I'm at a grammar school so I was one out of five people who didn't get a C at least or above.So I it feels even worse as everyone is getting Bs and above whereas I can't relate.Do you think it's too late to be able to get an A at the end of year 12??
helpme111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
It's tricky. Grade predictions can only be made on the basis of what's gone before, i.e. your current achievement, achievement in tests, GCSEs etc. There's a fair amount of statistical analysis which goes into these predictions, plus the professional opinion of the teaching staff, based on hundreds of observations.

It is to be hoped that all candidates outperform their predictions. But it would not be fair on you, or the school, just to predict high grades where no evidence for them exist. I understand this could come across as discouraging, but you must be able to see the logic in it. If you're working at a D grade, and all your tests and results so far confirm this, there really is no reason why a teacher could, in all good faith, start predicting much higher grades, based on not much more than a 'hope'.

Medicine would really require you to be getting A*AA or AAA, so maybe you need to think about whether that really is realistic, in order not to go down a path which is not really achievable for you.
I got a 7 in my gcses for all 3 subjects and a D for the test we just did. I know it sound unrealistic but I know i could have done a lot better since I barely revised.It's just frustrating cos now instead of trying to do better I feel like I'm just lowering my standards?
helpme111
Rep:
?
(Original post by LemonMan)
Ds?????????? That's a 3! Arrrrrrrrrg! 1 to 3s are fails! Your teacher should have said "I expect you to fail!" Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg! Try your best not to fail. The way I revised for my January and October resit at GCSE was to: Read the revision books information and examples, read dictionaries and then think about it; Do anything but actually attempt the questions. Remembering how to answer questions requires memory, understanding the answers requires intelligence.

Ooops, I got triggered, this is for A level. I don't know anything about A levels.
ahaha it's okay
DGeorge13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you so much for the tips. I'm at a grammar school so I was one out of five people who didn't get a C at least or above.So I it feels even worse as everyone is getting Bs and above whereas I can't relate.Do you think it's too late to be able to get an A at the end of year 12??
I wouldn’t say it’s too late yet as you’ve barely started but I can’t say whether or not it will happen and then year 13 is something else altogether.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got a 7 in my gcses for all 3 subjects and a D for the test we just did. I know it sound unrealistic but I know i could have done a lot better since I barely revised.It's just frustrating cos now instead of trying to do better I feel like I'm just lowering my standards?
I think you need to separate the two things. Your predictions are reasonable given the test results, but no-one would make a cast iron prediction based on one piece of datum. Thus, you clearly need to work harder (and you already know that), and based on a good GCSE grade, you should be able to improve on this D. Personally, had I been the teacher, I would have been clearer with both you and your dad on what data I was basing this prediction of D on...

Try to separate the prediction, based on the test, and the bigger picture based on your overall ability.
helpme111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I think you need to separate the two things. Your predictions are reasonable given the test results, but no-one would make a cast iron prediction based on one piece of datum. Thus, you clearly need to work harder (and you already know that), and based on a good GCSE grade, you should be able to improve on this D. Personally, had I been the teacher, I would have been clearer with both you and your dad on what data I was basing this prediction of D on...

Try to separate the prediction, based on the test, and the bigger picture based on your overall ability.
Okay thanks
helpme111
Rep:
?
(Original post by DGeorge13)
I wouldn’t say it’s too late yet as you’ve barely started but I can’t say whether or not it will happen and then year 13 is something else altogether.
Okay thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (64)
54.24%
No (20)
16.95%
I'm not old enough (34)
28.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed