started a graduate job, worried I might lose my job Watch

shelly100
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm struggling to learn the job, I don't have the best memory so I forget things easily. But I really don't want to lose my job. I'm worried it might happen.

I've been told that I don't look happy at work and that people notice. Which is Slightly annoying that people are watching what I do. I try to keep to myself to avoid people noticing me.

Also I just don't know how to seem happier on the outside, or enthusiastic, I'd feel awkward just to be randomly smiling or something. But it's become an issue at work and I just don't know how to act differently. Because I do like my job and want to do well in it and definitely don't want to be let go

I just don't know what to do or how to change
Vexper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Start taking notes? Also ask your line manager if there's anyone who can mentor you so you can excel in your role?
James Smith 90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by shelly100)
I'm struggling to learn the job, I don't have the best memory so I forget things easily. But I really don't want to lose my job. I'm worried it might happen.

I've been told that I don't look happy at work and that people notice. Which is Slightly annoying that people are watching what I do. I try to keep to myself to avoid people noticing me.

Also I just don't know how to seem happier on the outside, or enthusiastic, I'd feel awkward just to be randomly smiling or something. But it's become an issue at work and I just don't know how to act differently. Because I do like my job and want to do well in it and definitely don't want to be let go

I just don't know what to do or how to change
Firstly congrats on your graduate job ! I know how difficult it can be to get one!

To be honest at work people do watch you and smiling at employees and engaging in conversation etc is just part of a good work ethic I would say and is really important.....but of course for some it doesn't come naturally but I'm sure if you try you could definitely do it and as you really enjoy the work you do I'm sure you will be able to !

With regards to forgetting things I'm sure there are ways to reinforce things you have learnt maybe at the end of the day revise and go through everything you have done that day and make a note of anything that you did not grasp and get help from other employees or your employer/manager, they are there to help remember!

Best of luck!
shelly100
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vexper)
Start taking notes? Also ask your line manager if there's anyone who can mentor you so you can excel in your role?
I have been trying to take notes, but I guess I need to figure a way to change my note taking tatic.

Asking for a mentor wouldn't make me seem incompetent. But maybe that could help me
shelly100
Rep:
?
(Original post by James Smith 90)
Firstly congrats on your graduate job ! I know how difficult it can be to get one!

To be honest at work people do watch you and smiling at employees and engaging in conversation etc is just part of a good work ethic I would say and is really important.....but of course for some it doesn't come naturally but I'm sure if you try you could definitely do it and as you really enjoy the work you do I'm sure you will be able to !

With regards to forgetting things I'm sure there are ways to reinforce things you have learnt maybe at the end of the day revise and go through everything you have done that day and make a note of anything that you did not grasp and get help from other employees or your employer/manager, they are there to help remember!

Best of luck!
Thank you, yeah it was definitely difficult to get. Which is definitely why I don't want to lose it.

I just find it hard to smile, I've found people aren't that friendly at work, I've said morning to a few people and they kind of just ignore me. And I don't know if it's just me but I feel awkward if I was sitting their smiling at my desk

I'm going to try improve my notes that I take and hopefully it can help me remember better. But remembering is just a struggle.

I just don't know how to convince my manager that I do want this job, its only been a couple of months so they wouldn't have wasted that much time training me
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Smiling at work is a pretty good habit... people feel better about you and you begin to feel better about the people you're smiling at.

people also like being asked for help provided they're not already overwhelmed or they perceive that you've trying to offload your workload on to them.

Book recommendation if you want one... 59 seconds by Richard Wiseman
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My friend was in a similar position - he worried he would lose his graduate job. Some time later though he said to me that you'd have to do something really really stupid (violate a code of practice or do something illegal) to lose your graduate job. The only exception I think of is being made redundant.

I also echo what others have said. It is fantastic you got the job. Do not stress about the comments too much. You'll be fine and everyone is a little different and also takes a different amount of time to settle and find their way.
shelly100
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
Smiling at work is a pretty good habit... people feel better about you and you begin to feel better about the people you're smiling at.

people also like being asked for help provided they're not already overwhelmed or they perceive that you've trying to offload your workload on to them.

Book recommendation if you want one... 59 seconds by Richard Wiseman
Most of the time I'm just concentrating on what I'm doing, it's a bit difficult to smile at the same time. Knowing people are watching me makes me self conscious, I already don't smile because I hate my smile.

I don't really feel like anyone in my team is actually approachable for help. My manager says they're friendly but they haven't been to me since I started. It always seems like I'm bothering them when I have tried to ask for help.

I've just kept to myself, and tried to concentrate on my work and now it's made it an issue where I could lose my job. I just feel a bit stuck
shelly100
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
My friend was in a similar position - he worried he would lose his graduate job. Some time later though he said to me that you'd have to do something really really stupid (violate a code of practice or do something illegal) to lose your graduate job. The only exception I think of is being made redundant.

I also echo what others have said. It is fantastic you got the job. Do not stress about the comments too much. You'll be fine and everyone is a little different and also takes a different amount of time to settle and find their way.
I haven't been there that long, there is time for them to replace me though. My manager did sound like I was at risk of losing my job.

I feel like because it's a graduate job and they can just easily find another graduate. Before they've spent too much time training me.

Maybe your friend was able to turn things around and that's why he felt like it's not that easy to lose your graduate job
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by shelly100)
Most of the time I'm just concentrating on what I'm doing, it's a bit difficult to smile at the same time. Knowing people are watching me makes me self conscious, I already don't smile because I hate my smile.

I don't really feel like anyone in my team is actually approachable for help. My manager says they're friendly but they haven't been to me since I started. It always seems like I'm bothering them when I have tried to ask for help.

I've just kept to myself, and tried to concentrate on my work and now it's made it an issue where I could lose my job. I just feel a bit stuck
You don't have to give people at work a full on toothpaste advert smile. People are very sensitive to facial expression so moving the corners of your mouth a few mm is enough. Think of things that make you happy.

learn a few names of people you see often and say 'morning Dave' the first time you see them while smiling and making eye contact for a second... see if they seem any friendlier after that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (411)
43.72%
No (98)
10.43%
I'm not old enough (431)
45.85%

Watched Threads