username5065868
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Every teacher in my school tells us something different about prelims, we can still continue with nat5 if we fail or miss the prelim, we can't continue with nat5 or that they don't know because apparently our school has a different system.

In September I couldn't go to school because my mental health was in the way and I was having to take time out to get proper help etc. In the past few weeks I've been intensely catching up and studying in a support base in school.

But today was the day of the English prelim and I couldn't go because I had a panic attack the night before and the morning. I was so worked up I couldn't breath and my parents just had to leave me at home.

Does anyone know what happens in Scotland with a situation like this?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by username5065868)
Every teacher in my school tells us something different about prelims, we can still continue with nat5 if we fail or miss the prelim, we can't continue with nat5 or that they don't know because apparently our school has a different system.

In September I couldn't go to school because my mental health was in the way and I was having to take time out to get proper help etc. In the past few weeks I've been intensely catching up and studying in a support base in school.

But today was the day of the English prelim and I couldn't go because I had a panic attack the night before and the morning. I was so worked up I couldn't breath and my parents just had to leave me at home.

Does anyone know what happens in Scotland with a situation like this?
:wavey:

First, sorry that you've been having a bit of a tough time lately, and well done for putting your health first :hugs:

Your prelim doesn't affect your final grade, so from the SQA's perspective, it doesn't matter. The only situation in which it may matter is if your school has to submit for extenuating circumstances at the time of your actual exams in May, as they would ideally want to have a prelim as evidence available. Different schools, and even different subjects within schools can have differing opinions on what is required to present someone for an SQA exam - if you can show them you are capable of gaining a pass in the final exam (whether that's now or in February), they should enter you for the exam. You should speak to your English teacher, as they would likely be happy for you to do your prelim by yourself on an alternative day, as unlike SQA exams, the papers are not protected or anything like that - it's not uncommon for different classes within a school to do a prelim on different days. Given that you missed it due to health reasons, it would be unreasonable of the school to not allow you to sit it on an alternate day.

Hope this helps, but overall, don't worry!
AStarAnnabelle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
get a sickline from the doctor and give that to your school and ask to reschedule the prelim
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (172)
19.09%
Labour (460)
51.05%
Liberal Democrats (120)
13.32%
Green Party (53)
5.88%
Brexit Party (13)
1.44%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.44%
SNP (15)
1.66%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.44%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.67%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (4)