Shozab_N15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi! I have just started Yr 12 and I am currently doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Mathematics. I am studying OCR MEI Further Mathematics. I would like to go into further education for Computer Science (Software Engineering) at University. I am thinking about what options I should choose for Further Mathematics. I was thinking of choosing:
• Modelling with Algorithms (Y433)2
• Numerical Methods (Y434)2
• Extra Pure (Y435)
• And of course the Mandatory Pure paper
Although this choice would mean that I have have to sit a total of 4 papers for FM compared to 3 if I did a major.
I was also thinking that this combination would be especially beneficial for me for Computer Science at University. Would I have a higher chance of getting into top universities with these choices WHILST having a good Grade (A/A*)?
Anyway I could improve these choices?
For FM takers: Which parts of Further Mathematics did you think was best/easiest/most interesting?
Which parts of Further Mathematics did you think was the worst/hardest/least interesting?
And finally, do you have any advice for how to improve in Further Maths? links ,resources , revision techniques …
Thank you for your help.
Last edited by Shozab_N15; 6 days ago
kiiwi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi Im in yr13 and currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Mathematics as well. I applied for computer science to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Warwick.
My FM options are(MEI):
* mandatory pure
* modeling with algorithms
* mechanics minor
* statistics minor
Other than pure paper this means I have 3 shorter exams instead of longer ones, and in my opinion doing a major in mechanics/statistics makes the questions more complex and in depth. Personally I think mechanics is an easier option if you do physics and I found statistics really interesting(didn't expect it).
Modelling with algorithm is a really good option for computer science and the content is not that hard but the exam questions are really harder(wordy and lots of explaining questions) and the timing is really bad,on the other hand it has the lowest grade boundaries. In general I found the topics on matrices and vectors(pure) the hardest.
Maths is maths and I believe the best way to be good at it is by doing questions and constantly practicing. I highly recommend integralmaths.org its an amazing website if you can get the subscription (or get your school to do it). there are great videos for each exam board explaining all topics and loads of worksheets and topic assessments to do for both maths and FM. you can also find really good resources for free on drfrostmaths but is mostly or Edexcel. If you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer
Shozab_N15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by kiiwi)
Hi Im in yr13 and currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Mathematics as well. I applied for computer science to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Warwick.
My FM options are(MEI):
* mandatory pure
* modeling with algorithms
* mechanics minor
* statistics minor
Other than pure paper this means I have 3 shorter exams instead of longer ones, and in my opinion doing a major in mechanics/statistics makes the questions more complex and in depth. Personally I think mechanics is an easier option if you do physics and I found statistics really interesting(didn't expect it).
Modelling with algorithm is a really good option for computer science and the content is not that hard but the exam questions are really harder(wordy and lots of explaining questions) and the timing is really bad,on the other hand it has the lowest grade boundaries. In general I found the topics on matrices and vectors(pure) the hardest.
Maths is maths and I believe the best way to be good at it is by doing questions and constantly practicing. I highly recommend integralmaths.org its an amazing website if you can get the subscription (or get your school to do it). there are great videos for each exam board explaining all topics and loads of worksheets and topic assessments to do for both maths and FM. you can also find really good resources for free on drfrostmaths but is mostly or Edexcel. If you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer
Thank you. That helped a lot. Thanks to your message I will consider doing Mechanics minor as its the same as physics, as you said. I think modelling with algorithms will be a good choice since the grade boundaries are lower (giving more room for silly mistakes). But I don't quite enjoy statistics, not sure why. I think it doesn't make much sense to me. I also have integral maths but never really used it before, ill try and use it more often. By the way, how are your a levels going? And what sort of things did you do to apply to such amazing universities? work experience... Hope all goes well for you. Thanks again .
kiiwi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm happy it was useful No I don't have any work experience but instead I mentioned the maths competitions and physics challenge I did and talked about projects I did and my experience at a science fair. Maybe you can go to some taster days and there is a good event at oxford further maths whats next but its mostly useful if you are unsure of your course choice. I went to a summer school at Cambridge University I talked about that one as well.There is still so much time left you can look at the recommend reading list for computer science in oxford website and try reading something or maybe trying some programming thing since you don't do A Level computer science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.75%
Labour (554)
51.68%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.43%
Green Party (59)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)