Open Bite Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have an open bite gap in my teeth from when I sucked my thumb until i was about 10. This caused my front teeth to stick out and they do not touch my bottom ones and are slanted in length. Every year, my dentist doesn't say anything about needing braces, he just says 'if she really wants them'. I am nearly 16 and my teeth caused me to be extremely self conscious as I have a subtle lisp as well. I don't want to get braces so late as I'm worried it will be a waste of time and I will get judged for getting them so late as everyone else has had theirs taken off already. I also don't want to go through the pain as i have an extremely low pain tolerance. I'm not sure what else to do!
AStarAnnabelle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
yes please get braces before its too late, you will be grateful in 3 years when you go off to university with a dashing straight smile and don't spit everywhere through your open bite
HoldThisL
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
16 is not too late ask about them the next time you go to the dentist otherwise you'll regret it
TinasheLover
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
it wont be a waste of time. My nan is 76 and currently has braces.
Med3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Its definitely worth it if you can get them
Anonymous #1
I'm considering getting them in the summer holidays in 2020, when my next dentist appointment is and it is also the holidays before I start college. Then it will seem like I have had braces for a while when I start college right? I get heavily judged at my secondary school atm and people already talk about me and my teeth enough
AStarAnnabelle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm considering getting them in the summer holidays in 2020, when my next dentist appointment is and it is also the holidays before I start college. Then it will seem like I have had braces for a while when I start college right? I get heavily judged at my secondary school atm and people already talk about me and my teeth enough
you should schedule your appointment for before then because it will take a minimum of a few weeks for you to be referred to an orthodontist and even then you won't have them put on immediately

id suggest you make the appointment for the beginning of 2020 and then you can decided with the orthodontist when to have the braces put on
TinasheLover
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I also highly recommend getting teeth taken out too because too many people round here are walking around with cave mouths and looking like they're bugs bunny. So maybe keep that idea in the back of ur mind. x
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AStarAnnabelle)
you should schedule your appointment for before then because it will take a minimum of a few weeks for you to be referred to an orthodontist and even then you won't have them put on immediately

id suggest you make the appointment for the beginning of 2020 and then you can decided with the orthodontist when to have the braces put on
Good idea, I completely forgot about waiting times! Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.75%
Labour (554)
51.68%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.43%
Green Party (59)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)