UNIQ 2020 Applications - without a Personal Statement? Watch

papayas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
The applications for UNIQ Oxford 2020 have officially opened... but there is a massive difference. Now, students are no longer required to write a Personal Statement, which was once one of the most important aspects of the selection process, was it not?

Does anybody know why they have ditched this aspect?
j_ap123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
wait what?! are you sure, what do you do instead then?
papayas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
You just fill in your personal details, any extenuating circumstances, grades and teacher’s contact details for grade confirmation — that’s all! I’m quite confused...
Siobha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I think it's because it was putting off potential applicants. There were a bunch of people in my school who applied for sutton trust and not UNIQ because the latter required the personal statement and, after just one term of year 12, they didn't believe they would be able to write one that's good enough. What's more, grades + postcode are the main selection criteria. Personal statement was only really to distinguish between two identical candidates. I reckon the advantages of abolishing it outweighed the disadvantages
Good luck if you are applying this year- I did it in July and now have an interview for Oxford next week!
papayas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Siobha)
I think it's because it was putting off potential applicants. There were a bunch of people in my school who applied for sutton trust and not UNIQ because the latter required the personal statement and, after just one term of year 12, they didn't believe they would be able to write one that's good enough. What's more, grades + postcode are the main selection criteria. Personal statement was only really to distinguish between two identical candidates. I reckon the advantages of abolishing it outweighed the disadvantages
Good luck if you are applying this year- I did it in July and now have an interview for Oxford next week!
Thank you, and congratulations — I hope your interview goes amazingly well! What course are you applying for?
Siobha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by papayas)
Thank you, and congratulations — I hope your interview goes amazingly well! What course are you applying for?
Thank you!x I'm applying for human sciences (I hadn't even heard of the course until I did it on UNIQ.) It's a mix of science and social sciences, including genetics/physiology/immunology/ecology/anthropology/psychology etc. Lots of cool content! What are you thinking of studying?
papayas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Siobha)
Thank you!x I'm applying for human sciences (I hadn't even heard of the course until I did it on UNIQ.) It's a mix of science and social sciences, including genetics/physiology/immunology/ecology/anthropology/psychology etc. Lots of cool content! What are you thinking of studying?
I hope to study Medicine, but I’m not really sure if I could get into Oxford so I think this programme would really help me make the decision!
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I think they want to focus on their selection criteria so they can truly allow those who have more disadvantage circumstances to have the opportunity go first before those less “disadvantaged”.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
18.69%
Labour (553)
51.68%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.46%
Green Party (59)
5.51%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)