how hard is chemistry and biology a level ?? Watch

SmartUnicorn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I want to take chem, bio and psychology do I can get into medicine but a lot of people are telling me not to take bio and chem because they are apparently the hardest a levels. I heard they are hard but how hard are they? would I be able to do them?
if before year 12 started, I started learning to get ahead would that make it easier or it it the concepts that are hard to get?
I'm predicted 7s.

thanks!
tomk097
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Biology is quite easy...don’t take the other ones. How did you find gcse biology?
jjjjxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
AAHA they are VERY hard, i do those subjects and im currently dying xoxo so unless you really are passionate for it, these subjects are not the best ones to pick- i mean that for bio and chem, psychologys pretty fun tho
Bogelles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
See what A levels you need to get into medicine and then take them, but you have to remember that medicine is competitive and hard work so you can't have smooth sailing into a career in medicine really, you need to work hard

On regards to the subjects psychology is piss easy, biology I haven't heard it being super difficult or anything from any of my friends and chemistry is challenging but not super hard either

You can do it, work hard and get good grades at GCSE if you are targeted 7s then aim a bit higher rather than just aiming for what your targeted you can only benefit from coming out with higher grades

GL
tomk097
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jjjjxxx)
AAHA they are VERY hard, i do those subjects and im currently dying xoxo so unless you really are passionate for it, these subjects are not the best ones to pick- i mean that for bio and chem, psychologys pretty fun tho
What parts do you find hard in Biology?
Last edited by tomk097; 1 week ago
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bogelles)
See what A levels you need to get into medicine and then take them, but you have to remember that medicine is competitive and hard work so you can't have smooth sailing into a career in medicine really, you need to work hard

On regards to the subjects psychology is piss easy, biology I haven't heard it being super difficult or anything from any of my friends and chemistry is challenging but not super hard either

You can do it, work hard and get good grades at GCSE if you are targeted 7s then aim a bit higher rather than just aiming for what your targeted you can only benefit from coming out with higher grades

GL
Okay, thanks for the advice!
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
(Original post by jjjjxxx)
ahhh hope you get better at it. is it the amount that's overwhelming or the concepts? like what is hard about it? thanks!
CatKilledbyCurio
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SmartUnicorn)
I want to take chem, bio and psychology do I can get into medicine but a lot of people are telling me not to take bio and chem because they are apparently the hardest a levels. I heard they are hard but how hard are they? would I be able to do them?
if before year 12 started, I started learning to get ahead would that make it easier or it it the concepts that are hard to get?
I'm predicted 7s.

thanks!
Aim to get higher than 7s across the board to strengthen your application.
I take chemistry & biology at Alevel and I can hands down say biology is ridiculously hard, not the content in particular but the pedantic nature of the markschemes, it will drive anyone mad. As for chemistry I love it. I don’t find it as challenging as I was told I would, but other peers who take it do find it very challenging, at the end of yearr 12, I’d say about 70% of my class achieved a grade C or below. There was a couple U’s even.

Don’t waste your time learning ahead, start of year 12 will mostly be recap anyway. What I would say is, after you start the course learn a topic ahead, do practice papers so in your end of topic test you can impress your teachers which will come in handy in terms of your reference. ( if you’re with AQA when you start chemistry, I have a google drive filled with past paper questions that will really really help, just let me know)
Last edited by CatKilledbyCurio; 1 week ago
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
(Original post by CatKilledbyCurio)
Aim to get higher than 7s across the board to strengthen your application.
I take chemistry & biology at Alevel and I can hands down say biology is ridiculously hard, not the content in particular but the pedantic nature of the markschemes, it will drive anyone mad. As for chemistry I love it. I don’t find it as challenging as I was told I would, but other peers who take it do find it very challenging, at the end of yearr 12, I’d say about 70% of my class achieved a grade C or below. There was a couple U’s even.

Don’t waste your time learning ahead, start of year 12 will mostly be recap anyway. What I would say is, after you start the course learn a topic ahead, do practice papers so in your end of topic test you can impress your teachers which will come in handy in terms of your reference. ( if you’re with AQA when you start chemistry, I have a google drive filled with past paper questions that will really really help, just let me know)
okay I'll aim for 8s and woah thankyou for the advice! I'd love for you to send me them, I'm pretty sure my school's sixth form is with aqa. Thankyou so much !
CatKilledbyCurio
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
okay I'll aim for 8s and woah thankyou for the advice! I'd love for you to send me them, I'm pretty sure my school's sixth form is with aqa. Thankyou so much !
Pm me with your email & I’ll email it over!
cherrymerry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by CatKilledbyCurio)
Pm me with your email & I’ll email it over!
Hello. I just started aqa a level chemistry and I am struggling to find any questions online . Would you mind sending me the drive as well. I would appreciate it so much. Thank you
Treetop321
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Chemistry is hard. The content is hard and the exam questions are hard.

Biology can be hard, but it certainly gets easier if you learn the content AND practice exam questions. Many exam papers, especially with genetics and speciation, have the same sort of questions each time with the mark scheme being very similar.
CatKilledbyCurio
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by cherrymerry)
Hello. I just started aqa a level chemistry and I am struggling to find any questions online . Would you mind sending me the drive as well. I would appreciate it so much. Thank you
Sure pm me!
sophiegeorgia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm predicted 7s.

thanks!
i do these subjects for a level (currently resitting year 13 after getting BBC )and i love biology and chemistry, they are hard (especially chemistry) but if ur passionate about them then you should be fine. in year 12 i loved psychology but in year 13 it does start to get boring and tbh i dont enjoy it at all now. if u want to do medicine i would think about doing maths or another science rather than psychology as some medical schools aren't a fan of psychology. reading around the a level spec ahead of yr 12 would help you but its not necessary, as long as your willing to work hard in yr 12 and 13 you should be fine
SmartUnicorn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by sophiegeorgia)
i do these subjects for a level (currently resitting year 13 after getting BBC )and i love biology and chemistry, they are hard (especially chemistry) but if ur passionate about them then you should be fine. in year 12 i loved psychology but in year 13 it does start to get boring and tbh i dont enjoy it at all now. if u want to do medicine i would think about doing maths or another science rather than psychology as some medical schools aren't a fan of psychology. reading around the a level spec ahead of yr 12 would help you but its not necessary, as long as your willing to work hard in yr 12 and 13 you should be fine
ok tyy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (142)
45.66%
No (42)
13.5%
I'm not old enough (127)
40.84%

Watched Threads