The Student Room Group

UK has a perverse anachronistic class system

We are the most materially unequal country in Europe.
We are the most regionally unequal country in Europe.
Our descendants Australia, NZ, Canada and American are way more egalitarian, regardless of wealth divides.(I believe only America is more unequal)
We still run a perversely discriminatory education and class system which continues at university and afterwards, with all manner of minutae affecting class judgements. The elite could not be further from the people even compared to that problem in other countries.
We still have gold rods, black gowns and horse drawn carriages, and the Lords, in the era of tweeting and smartphone browsing in parliament. We have the duchy of Cornwall, one man owns an entire county. This is, to digress a little, wedded to our delusion about our geopolitical status.

Our own constituent nations like NI and Wales are ignored and get f all.

This country is politically regressive and needs to join the 21st century. Might be late, but its never too late.

And all these trends, our failure to pull our heads out of our arses and embrace anything from Europe or even America(the good aspects) that would mean joining the human race, will be the reason the UK does and England is left alone.

Mark my words, another regressive Tory government and all they represent (the aforementioned) will be the death of the union. The Scots and NI will choose Europe, and Ireland.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
We have the duchy of Cornwall, one man owns an entire county.

:rofl: like literally wtf...
Reply 2
Someone just sounds a bit salty...
Reply 3
Age and population growth are partly to blame here in addition to government policy post ww2.

Although things are not too bad once London is excluded one of the factors which holds the north back relative to newer nations is that we have an abnormal distribution of large cities. Quite simply it is not the norm to have cities the size of liverpool, Manchester and Leeds in close proximity and this has subdued the benefits of agglomeration economics (in simple terms, Manchester is too small and should have a population closer to 6 million than 2.8 million). This matters because in addition to more efficient service distribution of things like commuter rail lines and a higher geographical concentration of job vacancies it is also more important in our global economy to attract foreign firms and a larger city would have been more attractive.

The above on a larger scale was also replicated by post war governments maintaining state industry in small towns, this is another factor that held cities back and the nation. Then compounded by the privatisation in the 80’s which let the market concentrate wealth in cities but without adequate investment to prevent small towns becoming poor and derelict.

I shan’t comment on the rest of the post because it’s not all bad but the above is the biggest single factor in why London has such a perverse advantage and in turn has probably actually meant that the country as a whole is a little poorer than it would otherwise be.
Original post by Rakas21
Age and population growth are partly to blame here in addition to government policy post ww2.

Although things are not too bad once London is excluded one of the factors which holds the north back relative to newer nations is that we have an abnormal distribution of large cities. Quite simply it is not the norm to have cities the size of liverpool, Manchester and Leeds in close proximity and this has subdued the benefits of agglomeration economics (in simple terms, Manchester is too small and should have a population closer to 6 million than 2.8 million). This matters because in addition to more efficient service distribution of things like commuter rail lines and a higher geographical concentration of job vacancies it is also more important in our global economy to attract foreign firms and a larger city would have been more attractive.

The above on a larger scale was also replicated by post war governments maintaining state industry in small towns, this is another factor that held cities back and the nation. Then compounded by the privatisation in the 80’s which let the market concentrate wealth in cities but without adequate investment to prevent small towns becoming poor and derelict.

I shan’t comment on the rest of the post because it’s not all bad but the above is the biggest single factor in why London has such a perverse advantage and in turn has probably actually meant that the country as a whole is a little poorer than it would otherwise be.

I don't get your demographics point really, because the North of England was the industrial capital of the world and the workshop of the world. It has experienced vastly more prosperity and education in the past.
We are the most materially unequal country in Europe.
We are the most regionally unequal country in Europe.
Our descendants Australia, NZ, Canada and American are way more egalitarian, regardless of wealth divides.(I believe only America is more unequal)
We still run a perversely discriminatory education and class system which continues at university and afterwards, with all manner of minutae affecting class judgements. The elite could not be further from the people even compared to that problem in other countries.
We still have gold rods, black gowns and horse drawn carriages, and the Lords, in the era of tweeting and smartphone browsing in parliament. We have the duchy of Cornwall, one man owns an entire county. This is, to digress a little, wedded to our delusion about our geopolitical status.

Our own constituent nations like NI and Wales are ignored and get f all.

This country is politically regressive and needs to join the 21st century. Might be late, but its never too late.

And all these trends, our failure to pull our heads out of our arses and embrace anything from Europe or even America(the good aspects) that would mean joining the human race, will be the reason the UK does and England is left alone.

Mark my words, another regressive Tory government and all they represent (the aforementioned) will be the death of the union. The Scots and NI will choose Europe, and Ireland.

Vote Labour!

For the many, not the few.
Original post by Napp
Someone just sounds a bit salty...

Does there always have to be the stock conservative conditioned response to anyone who questions anything about this country. Jeez, just been listening to the election campaign and the way that conservatism in England relies in anti-intellectualism to reinforce the status quo is something.
Reply 7
I don't get your demographics point really, because the North of England was the industrial capital of the world and the workshop of the world. It has experienced vastly more prosperity and education in the past.

I should have said the age of the cities, not the age of the population. Our rich imperial heritage is a factor in that geographic distribution. That was not a problem when we had a substantial advantage over the world but since we lost that after ww2 our issues have come to the fore and culminated in the now.
Reply 8
Does there always have to be the stock conservative conditioned response to anyone who questions anything about this country. Jeez, just been listening to the election campaign and the way that conservatism in England relies in anti-intellectualism to reinforce the status quo is something.

Do you even know what a 'conservative' is? I rather doubt it, especially as one is most certainly not a conservative. then again i can only assume you're calling anyone who isnt a card carrying Corbynite a 'conservative' - a rather droll summation if ever there was one.
Again, with this so called 'anti-intellectualism' you're going to have to indulge me as to what on earth you're talking about here.
Equally, what is wrong with the status quo? Or are you one of these types who barracks on about "progress" simply for the sake of it without actually knowing what it means?
Original post by Napp
Do you even know what a 'conservative' is? I rather doubt it, especially as one is most certainly not a conservative. then again i can only assume you're calling anyone who isnt a card carrying Corbynite a 'conservative' - a rather droll summation if ever there was one.
Again, with this so called 'anti-intellectualism' you're going to have to indulge me as to what on earth you're talking about here.
Equally, what is wrong with the status quo? Or are you one of these types who barracks on about "progress" simply for the sake of it without actually knowing what it means?

What is wrong with the status quo? That's all you needed to say. It's a crystallisation of it. If you run the most unequal, regionally unequal, and pronounced class system in Europe, then you are the most right wing country in Europe, and that's with Welsh Scottish and NI voters as well. Take then out and its further right still. Anti intellectualism, good example now we are in an election campaign=Other countries people don't just swallow reactionary tabloids run by people on Country estates as gospel truth. They don't vote for it as obediently either.

Why glib Tories always say 'venezuala' or 'cuba' about a corporation tax lower than Thatcher ffs(Mcdonnell proposal) There is zero intellectualism in this country, reactionaries rule the roost with their glibness and everyone doffs their cap and votes for the right. You'll notice its immigrants and their descendants who buck this electoral trend, hence why the right hates them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Wired_1800
Vote Labour!

For the many, not the jew.

Fixed it.

Spoiler

Reply 11
What is wrong with the status quo? That's all you needed to say. It's a crystallisation of it. If you run the most unequal, regionally unequal, and pronounced class system in Europe, then you are the most right wing country in Europe, and that's with Welsh Scottish and NI voters as well. Take then out and its further right still. Anti intellectualism, good example now we are in an election campaign=Other countries people don't just swallow reactionary tabloids run by people on Country estates as gospel truth. They don't vote for it as obediently either.

Why glib Tories always say 'venezuala' or 'cuba' about a corporation tax lower than Thatcher ffs(Mcdonnell proposal) There is zero intellectualism in this country, reactionaries rule the roost with their glibness and everyone doffs their cap and votes for the right. You'll notice its immigrants and their descendants who buck this electoral trend, hence why the right hates them.

Uhuh well if you have such an issue with anything that even sniffs of blue i suggest you write to CCHQ instead of complaining in the echo chamber of TSR..
Original post by Napp
Equally, what is wrong with the status quo?

1/4 below poverty line, UN labels this a human rights violation. (we don't need an international reference point, just smug public schoolies who we should doff our hats to)
Most unequal country and class/education system in Europe. Finland has no private schools and the best education in Europe.
Stupid reactionary greed driven propaganda about anyone who wants to change the economy. None of the attackers ever use reasoned debate because they are reactionaries or self interested and spreading propaganda. Stupid monarchy which serves no purpose other than everything Tories believe in. Post imperial silly foreign policy delusion, when UK is American foreign policy and intelligence lapdog.
Terminal self-satisfied attitude to the world relying on the same 'wisdom'. Nowhere else is ever a reference point.
I have had a million arguments with English conservatives online and they all follow the exact same interactional pattern.
Some glib smug person gives cursory lip service to reform or progress, or arguments regarding other countries, then ignores it and goes back into why England is better(never directly stated, goes without saying) and manages to make the rest of the world irrelevant again, it always circles back to that ****ing smug English thing that logic can't penetrate. And it is all part of the same paradigm, that nothing can ever change. And we are smug and know better. This is all brexit and tory English electorates will give you, and I voted leave
Reply 13
1/4 below poverty line, UN labels this a human rights violation. (we don't need an international reference point, just smug public schoolies who we should doff our hats to)
Most unequal country and class/education system in Europe. Finland has no private schools and the best education in Europe.
Stupid reactionary greed driven propaganda about anyone who wants to change the economy. None of the attackers ever use reasoned debate because they are reactionaries or self interested and spreading propaganda. Stupid monarchy which serves no purpose other than everything Tories believe in. Post imperial silly foreign policy delusion, when UK is American foreign policy and intelligence lapdog.
Terminal self-satisfied attitude to the world relying on the same 'wisdom'. Nowhere else is ever a reference point.
I have had a million arguments with English conservatives online and they all follow the exact same interactional pattern.
Some glib smug person gives cursory lip service to reform or progress, or arguments regarding other countries, then ignores it and goes back into why England is better(never directly stated, goes without saying) and manages to make the rest of the world irrelevant again, it always circles back to that ****ing smug English thing that logic can't penetrate. And it is all part of the same paradigm, that nothing can ever change. And we are smug and know better. This is all brexit and tory English electorates will give you, and I voted leave

Listen if i wanted to listen to some crack pot Corbynista spout their broken propaganda at me i could go on their website for it.
Original post by The Mogg
Fixed it.

Spoiler

:mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending