Switch from CIE IGCSE Physics (0625 - Core curriculum) to CIE A-Level Physics (9702) Watch

FacuGamer577
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, TSR readers.

In October/November (2019) I've sat for Cambridge IGCSE Physics (syllabus 0625) and my Exams Officer enrolled me for Core curriculum (although I wanted to do Extended curriculum or Supplement).

In a few days I will be starting my self-taught Cambridge A-Level Physics (Syllabus 9702) course, which I will be sitting in November 2020 alongside with A-Level Maths and other subjects. I'll have practically one complete year to prepare the subject.

My question is: is it possible to switch from a "basic" (but complete) IGCSE/GCSE Physics to a hard A-level Physics? Should I do Extended practice papers before I start my A-level course? I'm predisposed to do all the necessary effort. I really want to succeed in the exam.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Regards.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
nathan_nacu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by FacuGamer577)
Hi, TSR readers.

In October/November (2019) I've sat for Cambridge IGCSE Physics (syllabus 0625) and my Exams Officer enrolled me for Core curriculum (although I wanted to do Extended curriculum or Supplement).

In a few days I will be starting my self-taught Cambridge A-Level Physics (Syllabus 9702) course, which I will be sitting in November 2020 alongside with A-Level Maths and other subjects. I'll have practically one complete year to prepare the subject.

My question is: is it possible to switch from a "basic" (but complete) IGCSE/GCSE Physics to a hard A-level Physics? Should I do Extended practice papers before I start my A-level course? I'm predisposed to do all the necessary effort. I really want to succeed in the exam.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Regards.
As someone who did IGCSE Physics and A-Level physics, i can tell u there’s a difference. Not to sound proud but IGCSE physics is horrendously easy, i got an E in my mock exam 3 weeks before the exam and just did a bunch of past papers and bare practice and ended up 3 marks off an A. It’s really the same formulas and simple questions of inference each year(this is all just my experience anyway). A-level physics however is quite a jump. The introduction of some very in-depth topics like particle physics, momentum etc. Get quite annoying (although the math was never too impossible). A-levels require much more application of knowledge so i found myself having to actually learn a lot more theoretical stuff and it was rather daunting. The questions get very tricky as with physics they need to find ways to infer logic as without adding some extras the questions would be the same formulaic applications. In my AS exam there was a question my teacher couldn’t solve loool. The topics do get a bit annoying aswell and my biggest advice is if you don’t understand something don’t leave it behind, physics requires a serious grasp of each concept. The electronics aspect stays relatively easy and doesn’t get too bad but overall it’s actually a lot of work and practice required to get a decent grade, so to answer your question yes its a hard step-up. It’s also worse because your self-teaching and doing that in a year, thats a difficult situation, you’re going to have to try and aim for 12 hours a week of work minimum in my opinion and tbh I wouldn’t recommend sitting the exam in a year but if you’re determined to succeed then you should thrive no matter what
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (64)
54.24%
No (20)
16.95%
I'm not old enough (34)
28.81%

Watched Threads