16 and not in college, no job or future goals. Help please? Watch

Lee Butler
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I left school at 16 with not very good grades and joined the army. After I left there I jumped around from one job to another trying to find something I'm interested in. In that time, the world has progressed into what it is now and I've decided to start doing a degree in computer science. I'm 33 and in my first year so my point is you dont need to have life figured out before you've experienced any of it. When I was 13, computer classes were basically "how to use excel" so I didn't have as much interest in them. Now I can do html coding and make some web based c# games because tech and programmes have evolved that far.
My advice is dont stress about it. I have a friend who rushed into uni after school not knowing what he wants to do. After a year he lost interest, dropped out and got a job at Tesco. After a few years of that he got interested in pharmaceuticals and hes been doing that for about 10 years now. He gets good pay, enjoys being around the people he is and works Monday-Friday 9-5.
Sorry about the large text but for you or anyone else reading this you really dont need to have things sorted out immediately. It's great if you do know what you want to do and know exactly what steps you have to take, but I can't think of a single person who knew what they wanted to do after they left school and now 16 years later are still doing it
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Didn't read.
grKiro
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lee Butler)
I left school at 16 with not very good grades and joined the army. After I left there I jumped around from one job to another trying to find something I'm interested in. In that time, the world has progressed into what it is now and I've decided to start doing a degree in computer science. I'm 33 and in my first year so my point is you dont need to have life figured out before you've experienced any of it. When I was 13, computer classes were basically "how to use excel" so I didn't have as much interest in them. Now I can do html coding and make some web based c# games because tech and programmes have evolved that far.
My advice is dont stress about it. I have a friend who rushed into uni after school not knowing what he wants to do. After a year he lost interest, dropped out and got a job at Tesco. After a few years of that he got interested in pharmaceuticals and hes been doing that for about 10 years now. He gets good pay, enjoys being around the people he is and works Monday-Friday 9-5.
Sorry about the large text but for you or anyone else reading this you really dont need to have things sorted out immediately. It's great if you do know what you want to do and know exactly what steps you have to take, but I can't think of a single person who knew what they wanted to do after they left school and now 16 years later are still doing it
Well said
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (280)
47.54%
No (68)
11.54%
I'm not old enough (241)
40.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed