Boyfriend makes negative comments about my body and shows me photoshopped instagram m Watch

Pastelpilots21
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have been with him for about 4 months and he's been doing this for the last two months but only last night did I decided to actually talk about the issue with him on snapchat. We met at the gym whilst both working out (we both lift weights) and I previously had problems surrounding my own body image and relationship with food and exersise as I used to be overweight and a size 16 - 18 but now am a 6-10 so have lost a large amount of weight but did it unhealthily and was close to developing an eating disorder (which he is aware of). Only now am I starting to be able to accept and love my new body for what it is as I used to still be able to see the overweight one in the mirror. So anyway, he made a comment when we were at the gym a few weeks ago where he grabbed onto my love handle region as although I'm fairly lean and skinny I store my fat there and went "I don't like these bits" along with never failing to remind me that I have "saggy tits" (I will admit that they are not the perkiest probably due to the weight loss) and asking if I can get a birth mark removed because he thinks it looks really weird. I used to laugh all these off with him but lately I haven't been able to and he gets weird when I don't being like "alright calm down" and acts as though I'm being irrational for not being okay with the comments. He also follows multiple accounts on instagram which post very skinny girls with massive bums and boobs which are very clearly photoshopped and look like very unattainable physiques. I explained to him that it's fine he has body preferences however unrealistic they are and i appreciate other women's beauty and accept that but i don't always feel like he likes my body when he shows me all these images of instagram models as it makes me feel a bit crap about my own body image and insecure. I said that it's my fault that i didn't bring it up before because i know he doesn't mean to make me feel insecure or have any bad intentions of showing me them and I just didn't want to appear petty (which I thought I was and felt silly for feeling this way) to which he replied saying that he'll just unfollow a few so I said I don't want you to unfollow girls either because i don't want to be controlling like that sorry I didn't make it clear and it's completely fine to look at them and like them my only problem was when he specifically goes damnnn or points them out to me when I'm with him which he does do and once jokingly said "why can't you be like that". He says it's okay and that he doesn't want to hurt me or mean to affect me this way and said he's a ****ty person but i reassured him and said he is not ****ty and i know he didn't have bad intentions at all or want to hurt me and he said that he is just scared of having these conversations with me because he is afraid to have a conversation due to past experiences which have scared him and he is just afraid that he will just get treated wrong or abused and doesn't want to seem the victim because he unintentionally hurt me so i thought maybe he does this in a way to reject me before i can reject him and leave him? Idk as I have never before had any conflict with him and we both have a lot of trust for each other and don't state a desire to end the relationship which i really don't want to do as even though this may depict him as a ******** he has been there for me, we've had some amazing memories and times together and I'm genuinely in love with him. Long story short he just started self loathing and telling me that he's soooo bad and a ****ty human which i disagreed with and tried to be understanding and the convo ended so I'm conflicted with thoughts of what to do and don't know whether I'm just being over the top and should not take myself so seriously or what? I also forgot to mention that I eat a very healthy diet with very few processed foods in which he finds weird and says I need to stop being insecure however he also wants me to "eat normally with him" which his definition of normal food is macdonalds, pizza and processed take aways.
SteveyStack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I would talk to him about it. He sounds like a right prick to me but I think that things like this on forums can be made to seem worse than they are when people say them. I would say it’s making you feel uncomfortable and then if it continues give up on him.

I only read the first half! Learn how to use paragraphs.
Pastelpilots21
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by SteveyStack)
I would talk to him about it. He sounds like a right prick to me but I think that things like this on forums can be made to seem worse than they are when people say them. I would say it’s making you feel uncomfortable and then if it continues give up on him.

I only read the first half! Learn how to use paragraphs.
Okay, thank you for the advice, I have already spoken to him so I'll see how things go from there I just needed an opinion from someone that doesn't know me personally. And sorry I'm really ill today so my grammar and structure isn't great I'm an A grade student so am normally better at it haha.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
Urm, dip. How can he be body shaming you like that?
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I haven't even read it but from the title GET ****ING RID OF HIM. He has NO right to shame you like that for your body and has not know it's not okay.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
Firstly, as your man he’s meant to help you and support you. Secondly if I were you i would be petty back show him some nice bodies of men. These girls don’t look like any of their pics so you have that to stand by. And WELL DONE on the loss that’s amazing! He doesnt deserve you
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
Ray leave
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Report 6 days ago
Why are you still with him then? Sounds like he’s got issues.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
Ray I’m a girl but ok . If you’re so big put your socials on here ..... Yh that’s what I though sh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (17)
38.64%
No I don't (18)
40.91%
I work during the holidays (9)
20.45%

Watched Threads