Decided to resit but got an offer for unconditional Watch

ellmmbee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
so i achieved BBB at a level but needed ABB for uni, so decided to go back and resit. have applied for 2020 entry and have received (very surprisingly) an unconditional offer for my first choice uni! however, i now have the decision to drop out of resitting or continue - the unconditional is for BBB not my predicted ABB. what shall i do? some teachers are saying stay as i can improve for future but others are saying leave as i’ve got the uni i wanted and don’t need the A anymore. my head is all over the place so any advice / if this has happened to anyone else before please let me know!
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1) your unconditional may be in the condition you sit the resit (not actually have to pass it) so make sure that's the case if you do decide to accept it
2) honestly, getting a grade up on a subject in the grand scheme of things with employment and uni prospects etc. really makes little effect
ellmmbee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
1) your unconditional may be in the condition you sit the resit (not actually have to pass it) so make sure that's the case if you do decide to accept it
2) honestly, getting a grade up on a subject in the grand scheme of things with employment and uni prospects etc. really makes little effect
i phoned admissions at the uni and they said it’s based on my already achieved results, additionally on UCAS it says i just need to provide evidence for my results from the summer so it looks like the resit isn’t being taken into account
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ellmmbee)
i phoned admissions at the uni and they said it’s based on my already achieved results, additionally on UCAS it says i just need to provide evidence for my results from the summer so it looks like the resit isn’t being taken into account
then I would go for it!
Kryptonitekid43
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What career do u want. For law e.g. law firms have minimum a level grades required so in that scenario it’s better to resist.
ellmmbee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kryptonitekid43)
What career do u want. For law e.g. law firms have minimum a level grades required so in that scenario it’s better to resist.
i’ve applied for psychology, as for post-degree i’m not entirely sure but have considered something like educational psychology. again, not sure how much difference one grade higher in one a level would effect this?
Kryptonitekid43
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i’ve applied for psychology, as for post-degree i’m not entirely sure but have considered something like educational psychology. again, not sure how much difference one grade higher in one a level would effect this?
Having one A is better than having none imo, but it’s ultimately up to you. You don’t lose anything by resitting the one exam and who knows it may help you in the future. But I think the wisest course of action is to do more research into your future career to find out what qualifications are desired etc.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Educational psychology is very competitive ....I would do the resit as you have the time but just be happy not to have too much pressure
Swifty19901
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Personally, I would re-sit. You've already psyched yourself up for re-sitting the year, in years to come you never know what people will ask for.

My A-levels could have been better but I got into my first choice uni anyway and thought nothing of it. Three years after graduating I've decided to go back to uni to study medicine. Currently having to re-sit my highers (Scottish A levels) at night school because I needed AB in Biology and Chemistry and I only have AC. Its so difficult working full-time and attending night school. If you're already on the road to re-sitting it I would just carry on. You don't need to put any effort in for the rest of the year and just revise well at exam time.
ellmmbee
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Educational psychology is very competitive ....I would do the resit as you have the time but just be happy not to have too much pressure
very true ... the other thing i would be doing is upping my hours in my part time job in order to get some money ready for uni, there’s lots to consider :confused:
ellmmbee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swifty19901)
Personally, I would re-sit. You've already psyched yourself up for re-sitting the year, in years to come you never know what people will ask for.

My A-levels could have been better but I got into my first choice uni anyway and thought nothing of it. Three years after graduating I've decided to go back to uni to study medicine. Currently having to re-sit my highers (Scottish A levels) at night school because I needed AB in Biology and Chemistry and I only have AC. Its so difficult working full-time and attending night school. If you're already on the road to re-sitting it I would just carry on. You don't need to put any effort in for the rest of the year and just revise well at exam time.
this is what i am concerned about! it all seems too good to be true atm, having entry grades of AAA-AAB but still getting in was a big surprise to me. last thing i would want is to jeopardise something further down the line. like you said, i’ve already got the mindset of resitting
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
very true ... the other thing i would be doing is upping my hours in my part time job in order to get some money ready for uni, there’s lots to consider :confused:
The trouble with unconditional offers is that they encourage people to take their foot off the gas a bit academically.

Try and pretend to yourself that you don't have the unconditional offer and make the same choices you would have made to get that B up to an A - you will be pleased in the long run
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?