Is there any way I can get out of a fixed tenancy agreement? Watch

LittleSquishy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hello,

I am currently living in student accommodation which is £802 a month. I have just had to suspend my studies at uni for a year as my student finance still hasn't come through so I cannot afford the travel there.

Obviously, without the student loan this place is impossible to afford, it was already difficult when I moved in but I had no choice due to it being the only student place available and being homeless at the time.

I am now able to find much cheaper accommodation as I'm no longer a student, however, my tenancy agreement is fixed until September next year with no clause.

I have emailed the letting agency asking to leave, and they have told me I can only move out if I find another student to move in here.

I have advertised the place, however, at this time of year it's going to be really difficult to gain much interest, and I really need to move as soon as possible because I cannot afford next month's rent.

Is there anyway to possibly negotiate an early end to my contract without having to find another person to live here?

I have emailed the letting agency asking the same question, however, I have not had a response yet. Perhaps they could agree to take some or all of my damage deposit?

I suffer with severe anxiety and C-PTSD which means I really struggle to find work and the situation I'm in right now is only making things harder. I have a fit note from my doctor explaining this, if that could be of any use?

Many thanks
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
it's possible they take pity on you but ultimately you signed a contract and they are entitled to that money and will probably pursue you for it
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by LittleSquishy)
Hello,

I am currently living in student accommodation which is £802 a month. I have just had to suspend my studies at uni for a year as my student finance still hasn't come through so I cannot afford the travel there.

Obviously, without the student loan this place is impossible to afford, it was already difficult when I moved in but I had no choice due to it being the only student place available and being homeless at the time.

I am now able to find much cheaper accommodation as I'm no longer a student, however, my tenancy agreement is fixed until September next year with no clause.

I have emailed the letting agency asking to leave, and they have told me I can only move out if I find another student to move in here.

I have advertised the place, however, at this time of year it's going to be really difficult to gain much interest, and I really need to move as soon as possible because I cannot afford next month's rent.

Is there anyway to possibly negotiate an early end to my contract without having to find another person to live here?

I have emailed the letting agency asking the same question, however, I have not had a response yet. Perhaps they could agree to take some or all of my damage deposit?

I suffer with severe anxiety and C-PTSD which means I really struggle to find work and the situation I'm in right now is only making things harder. I have a fit note from my doctor explaining this, if that could be of any use?

Many thanks
The acronyms and MH stuff isn't relevant to your tenancy agreement, I'm afraid. The landlord doesn't care about all that stuff: he cares about getting the rent which you've agreed to pay for the fixed term.

It's up to the landlord whether he's prepared to release you from your SHT without having found a replacement tenant. Unfortunately you can't deal with the landlord directly because he's appointed an agent to deal with this, so unless you can convince the agency that you should be released (the chances of this are about 0.000001%), then you will have to continue to pay it until you've found a replacement tenant. Given the tenancy has only really just started, they're not just going to waive £8,000 of rent, and even were they to keep your deposit, that only represents a fraction of the outstanding liability. If you default on the rent, they are likely to take legal proceedings to recover it, so it really is in your interest to find some way to pay it (family, friends etc).

Sorry, but there's no point beating about the bush with this. It's a business, I'm afraid. The best thing you can do is absolutely redouble your efforts to find a replacement tenant, by advertising absolutely everywhere.
madison1996
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by LittleSquishy)
Hello,

Many thanks
Does it say anything about ending the tenancy early in your contract?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Just advertise the **** out of the flat on spareroom, Facebook, gumtree etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?