Give me feedback for English language p1 Q2 Watch

Mori Jin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hello,
Would you please give me feedback for this question cos I got mock exam tw? thank you
Q: How does the writer use language here to describe the hartop family?
We learn that Hartop is " a thin, angular man, starved faced." but act superior and domination despite his appearance and seems to take all seats. The writer use description "he seemed to occupy almost all the seat; sprawling adwardly" through the narrator to imply as such. The oxymoron "thin" and "sprawling" tells us that Hartop uses his role to exert its power whereby everything beneath him, it is considered inferior and anaemic. When compared to Hartop family, it is clear how intimidating hartop is.
We learn that Hartop's family are being described as expressionless and unreactive even they're in great pain. The writer use description "The hartop's face seems moulded in clay" the nouns "clay" emphasis that their face hasn't changed since then and it seems that their relationship is distant. Furthermore, the quote "a screwed up thinness that makes them both look hard and frightened" suggests that their wife and daughter cannot respond because they're scared or terrified if they tell something. It shows they're anaemic towards to their father/husband.
alishakawaklekar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The word clay could suggest the family is wearing a mask or maybe there is no warmth and love in the family.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (176)
19.13%
Labour (471)
51.2%
Liberal Democrats (122)
13.26%
Green Party (54)
5.87%
Brexit Party (13)
1.41%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.43%
SNP (15)
1.63%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.43%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.65%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (4)