Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Really not sure about my choices, I have 4 options that I'm considering
Maths, Eng Lit, French, Spanish,
Maths, Economics, French, Spanish
Biology, Chemistry, French, Spanish
Maths, Biology, Chemistry

I'm really keen on the first two but not sure what kind of course/career it would lead me to tbh.
The last two are just to keep it safe for Medicine or Dentistry at uni.

Btw I have NO IDEA what I want to do as a career or even what I want to do at uni. What would be the best option in your opinion? And what combo of subjects is the best and will leave me enough options when choosing uni courses? Thanks.
imaccstressed
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
soz typo in the title it's meant to be *actually
myraxo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
why four subjects? universities only ask for three and imo, unless if it extends from one subject eg further maths or epq, it’s better to put your energy in three subjects and get good grades than try to balance four and get average.

obviously people have succeeded with four but if no university requires it, then why do it?
imaccstressed
Rep:
?
(Original post by myraxo)
why four subjects? universities only ask for three and imo, unless if it extends from one subject eg further maths or epq, it’s better to put your energy in three subjects and get good grades than try to balance four and get average.

obviously people have succeeded with four but if no university requires it, then why do it?
because I cannot limit my subject choices to 3 (as I have no idea what I want to do in the future/at uni like I mentioned) so I want to keep my options open
fabsfabulous12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you have unifrog use it, it’s a God send
21ForEva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mostly nobody knows what they want to do in the future after A levels - some people just do them as a backup and end up going into an apprenticeship and for some careers, it's the best move.

I think you should go with the option that gives you more career options so I would scratch off one of the languages to give you room for another a level. Why do you want to do 2 languages? In my opinion, learning 1 is hard enough so I think doing 2 is gonna confuse the hell out of you if I'm honest. That's why I ended up not doing a language and now I'm self-teaching Spanish during my spare time. Unless you wanna become a French or Spanish teacher but you could do languages any time of your life via courses.

Because you have no idea what you want to do at uni (also as a career) then the best and most obvious option is to choose subjects you enjoy. If you don't enjoy them then you're obviously gonna flunk and end up with bad A level grades. You need good grades which will keep your options open about what you want to do at uni - and even if you don't end up going, you might want to do a degree way into the future. Also, maybe think about if you want to do a science or an arts career path - that helped me do some research into things I might want to be when I'm older.

Do not do subjects because you think it might lead you to a good career cuz like you said, you don't even know if you actually want to do med/dentistry. Have you even researched into these fields because a couple of my cousins are in medicine and dentistry and it is really hard - if you got a passion for it then it won't seem so difficult as your passion will inevitably help you pull through and succeed.

On a side note, your career path can change at any time in the future and nowadays we're lucky as we have so many more options now - we have the open university, more apprenticeships in many sectors and alternatives to a degree which will still get you enough money in order to be able to survive life and also enjoy the luxuries.
imaccstressed
Rep:
?
(Original post by 21ForEva)
Mostly nobody knows what they want to do in the future after A levels - some people just do them as a backup and end up going into an apprenticeship and for some careers, it's the best move.

I think you should go with the option that gives you more career options so I would scratch off one of the languages to give you room for another a level. Why do you want to do 2 languages? In my opinion, learning 1 is hard enough so I think doing 2 is gonna confuse the hell out of you if I'm honest. That's why I ended up not doing a language and now I'm self-teaching Spanish during my spare time. Unless you wanna become a French or Spanish teacher but you could do languages any time of your life via courses.

Because you have no idea what you want to do at uni (also as a career) then the best and most obvious option is to choose subjects you enjoy. If you don't enjoy them then you're obviously gonna flunk and end up with bad A level grades. You need good grades which will keep your options open about what you want to do at uni - and even if you don't end up going, you might want to do a degree way into the future. Also, maybe think about if you want to do a science or an arts career path - that helped me do some research into things I might want to be when I'm older.

Do not do subjects because you think it might lead you to a good career cuz like you said, you don't even know if you actually want to do med/dentistry. Have you even researched into these fields because a couple of my cousins are in medicine and dentistry and it is really hard - if you got a passion for it then it won't seem so difficult as your passion will inevitably help you pull through and succeed.

On a side note, your career path can change at any time in the future and nowadays we're lucky as we have so many more options now - we have the open university, more apprenticeships in many sectors and alternatives to a degree which will still get you enough money in order to be able to survive life and also enjoy the luxuries.
Thanks so much for your reply. I want to do two languages as I enjoy them so much and I'm good at them so I don't think doing two will put me at a disadvantage (I think not doing both will put me at a disadvantage because why should I waste something I'm good at and I enjoy?). I just think what if in two years I want to do med/dentistry but don't have the a levels to back it up? What if I do the other subjects I like but they don't lead me anywhere? Choosing is honestly so hard imo.
anonymoussse
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maths, bio, Chem, Spanish/french.

If u don’t like french or Spanish swap for Spanish
21ForEva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by imaccstressed)
Thanks so much for your reply. I want to do two languages as I enjoy them so much and I'm good at them so I don't think doing two will put me at a disadvantage (I think not doing both will put me at a disadvantage because why should I waste something I'm good at and I enjoy?). I just think what if in two years I want to do med/dentistry but don't have the a levels to back it up? What if I do the other subjects I like but they don't lead me anywhere? Choosing is honestly so hard imo.
Oh so you do kinda have an idea about what you want to do then - the medicine or dentistry route? That's good then - you seem like you sorta have an idea.

You can always go back to college and redo an A level/course that you need IF you ever didn't want to do med/dentistry.

True about the language stuff - my point was, do other A levels that you can't exactly do at any other time in your life. Cuz languages is something you can do at any time - and I don't think you need an A level in an language to be qualified to do anything with it, you just need A qualification to prove you are fluent in it.

For this question 'What if I do the other subjects I like but they don't lead me anywhere?' Lol sorry but no1 actually knows what's gonna happen in the future. So nobody can really answer that. Trust me - at least 1 of those subjects you end up choosing will lead you somewhere. And if you decide you don't want to do a career in ANY of the A levels you have chosen, by the end of Year 13 then you can just take a gap year to figure out what you want to do. There's also no rush in hurrying up to go to uni - just do you and do it when it feels right / when you're ready, not when you're supposed to go (18/19 yrs old)

Honestly the A level period doesn't give you ANY time to experiment and choose what's best for you as you're just expected to know and hurry up and study and ace those exams - it's really a ticking time bomb period that you're in right now and I feel your pain. I don't agree with the system and how they make us think we MUST know what we want to be when we're 18 and ready to graduate into adulthood -- it's impossible to know unless you're lucky and you already got solid idea (I did but even so, I changed it completely and very suddenly when I was 19 so anything can happen). Don't think you have to have it all figured out right now. You must be about only 16 - right? I mean my mum and Dad are rethinking their careers and they're in their 40s mate so things change.

But it doesn't mean it's the end of the world. That's why you have gap years, insight days, apprenticeships, courses and open university to help you branch out and expand your options. I can't really tell you the answer cuz I don't have one and didn't have one for myself at the time but I just went with the flow and let life lead me - I grabbed every opportunity that I thought would help and it's gotten me to where i am today (successful and sort of content).

I hope you just choose what you enjoy and stop worrying about the future as you don't even know what's gonna happen tomorrow.
Last edited by 21ForEva; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?