Getting into Graphic design course with a fine art porfolio?

Watch
ausername123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am wanting to apply for a graphic design course, however I have little to no experience in actual graphic design. The majority of my portfolio is made up of my art & design studies, mainly fine art, but I do have many pieces which I created using photoshop and I am well versed in using computers for artwork. my finishing grade in art & design is D*D*D* too so I'm wondering if many universities will accept me on this basis or if I'm going to have to wait to apply next year and bulk up my portfolio with at home graphic design work instead. I'm hoping to go to NTU or Lincoln.
kazz_116
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am hoping to apply for graphic design soon as well! In my case, I haven't ever done art for gcse's or a levels, and the closest subject that i do to graphic design is product design a level. I only recently decided that I really want to study graphic design and started to make things for my portfolio in my own time. I was worried about my skills for drawing etc but many unis have said that they just want to see your creativity and development of ideas. I would say maybe do a few pieces of work that is more related to graphic design to show that you're really interested in it and then include them in your portfolio. I still have a few more things to make and i'm struggling to figure out whether to do more graphics or more drawing, so i'm as confused as you are hahah. I'm hoping to go to DMU or NTU too.
University of Lincoln
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi ausername123,

We are glad to hear you are interested in studying Graphic Design with us!

Our Graphic Design course enables students to work in both traditional and digital media, while studying the fundamental principles of graphic design. This knowledge will then be taken further into your second and third year, where more advanced concepts of graphic design are introduced.

In regards to your portfolio, we encourage applicants to demonstrate their interest and involvement in a broad spectrum of art and design, so having a mixture of work to showcase could be helpful. You can find the full course information, including what we expect portfolios to contain, here.

To discuss the application process for Graphic Design, including the portfolio, we recommend you contact the Programme Leader, Barrie Tullett. You can contact Barrie via [email protected] or 01522 83521.

If you aren't able to get in touch with Barrie, as he may be teaching, we recommend you contact our Admissions Team via 01522 886097 or [email protected] and they will be more than happy to help.

If you have any more questions about Graphic Design or studying in Lincoln, please feel free to ask!

I hope this helps!

Daisy
ausername123
Rep:
?
(Original post by ausername123)
I am wanting to apply for a graphic design course, however I have little to no experience in actual graphic design. The majority of my portfolio is made up of my art & design studies, mainly fine art, but I do have many pieces which I created using photoshop and I am well versed in using computers for artwork. my finishing grade in art & design is D*D*D* too so I'm wondering if many universities will accept me on this basis or if I'm going to have to wait to apply next year and bulk up my portfolio with at home graphic design work instead. I'm hoping to go to NTU or Lincoln.
In case anybody reads this in the future - because for some reason, most of the graphic design forum questions go unanswered or aren't very useful - I got into all 5 universities I applied to including Lincoln and NTU. So future applicants - Don't worry, as long as you can finesse your work, youre all good.
ausername123
Rep:
?
(Original post by kazz_116)
I am hoping to apply for graphic design soon as well! In my case, I haven't ever done art for gcse's or a levels, and the closest subject that i do to graphic design is product design a level. I only recently decided that I really want to study graphic design and started to make things for my portfolio in my own time. I was worried about my skills for drawing etc but many unis have said that they just want to see your creativity and development of ideas. I would say maybe do a few pieces of work that is more related to graphic design to show that you're really interested in it and then include them in your portfolio. I still have a few more things to make and i'm struggling to figure out whether to do more graphics or more drawing, so i'm as confused as you are hahah. I'm hoping to go to DMU or NTU too.
Sorry for the late reply, did you manage to get into both of the unis? Fingers crossed!
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In case anybody reads this in the future - because for some reason, most of the graphic design forum questions go unanswered or aren't very useful - I got into all 5 universities I applied to including Lincoln and NTU. So future applicants - Don't worry, as long as you can finesse your work, youre all good.
Hi ausername123,

Congrats on your offer!! Hopefully see you in September

Lexy
Student rep
kazz_116
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry for the late reply, did you manage to get into both of the unis? Fingers crossed!
Yess, I got into all the ones I applied to (I got two unconditional, two conditionals and I withdrawed from one of them). I ended up picking uni of lincoln which I got an unconditional from What about you? Did you end up applying?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (357)
84%
No (68)
16%

Watched Threads