Frododontgo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Currently in FP1 we’re learning about reflections in a line through the origin which makes the angle theta with the positive x-axis.

I understand when we translate (1,0), but I’m completely lost when translate (0,1). Could someone help me with the concept?
Frododontgo
Rep:
?
Here’s what we’re doing and I just don’t understand it
Name:  DF123F6B-1FA8-4EA6-8C35-A322D92C50A7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 3
Size:  17.3 KB
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Frododontgo)
Here’s what we’re doing and I just don’t understand it
Ignoring angles at the moment, can you imagine (0,1) being reflected like indicated in the diagram? Do you agree that its image must be somewhere in the bottom right of the diagram?

Do you also agree that the length of the line from the origin to the image must be 1?
Frododontgo
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Ignoring angles at the moment, can you imagine (0,1) being reflected like indicated in the diagram? Do you agree that its image must be somewhere in the bottom right of the diagram?

Do you also agree that the length of the line from the origin to the image must be 1?
Yes, I agree with that, but I don't understand how the small triangle is similar to the other two
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Frododontgo)
Yes, I agree with that, but I don't understand how the small triangle is similar to the other two
Not sure what you're referring to here.

But now just put in the angles. We have the \theta, which is fine as this is what was originally there. Now you also need to introduce the angle \phi to make life simple.

Upon observation, it is clear that the image has coordinates (\cos \phi , - \sin \phi).

But now you should be interested in expressing \phi in terms of the original angle \theta.
Last edited by RDKGames; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (66)
54.1%
No (21)
17.21%
I'm not old enough (35)
28.69%

Watched Threads