Diversity at Cardiff University? Watch

xS1m
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Being born and raised in West London, I’m used to being around people of my own ethnic origin which enables a sense of comfort. I’ve been offered a place for Geography with Planning at Cardiff Uni (it’s pretty much my only choice for specific reasons) but after the open day I felt so uncomfortable being the only person of colour in a room of so many people. I received several strange looks from people and I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb!

I’ve received all five offers (acceptance from Queen Mary, Leeds Beckett, Birmingham and Reading) but Cardiff is the only suitable degree which is credited by the Royal Town Planning Institute which will save me having to do a postgraduate degree but staying in London would mean a lot more diversity and I’d be closer to home but simultaneously I want to experience something new. Ughhhhhhh...

Advice? Help!!
Last edited by xS1m; 1 week ago
darylducks_17
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
I've lived in Cardiff for all of my life and can tell you that it is probably just as diverse as London. I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to find people to hang around once you've entered Uni and open days don't do justice as they could be people from other places, not just Cardiff.
darylducks_17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by darylducks_17)
Hi,
I've lived in Cardiff for all of my life and can tell you that it is probably just as diverse as London. I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to find people to hang around once you've entered Uni and open days don't do justice as they could be people from other places, not just Cardiff.
BTW I've also applied to Cardiff Uni!!
him82017
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i had an interview there recently and for me it was far from diverse

however i wasn't there for a long time
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
the city is extremely diverse, especially the student areas don't worry
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
the city is extremely diverse, especially the student areas don't worry
can't edit my original post, but this is coming from an immigrant
xS1m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
can't edit my original post, but this is coming from an immigrant
Do you have much experience with the city/uni?
xS1m
Rep:
?
Hi,
Yeah true this is why I’ll most likely wait for the offer holder day before making a decision. What are you applying for?
xS1m
Rep:
?
Hi,
Thank you so much!!!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by xS1m)
Do you have much experience with the city/uni?
lived in the city for 12 years, both parents have worked at the uni as researchers for the same amount of time
darylducks_17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by xS1m)
Yeah true this is why I’ll most likely wait for the offer holder day before making a decision. What are you applying for?
I've applied for Computer Science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (416)
43.93%
No (98)
10.35%
I'm not old enough (433)
45.72%

Watched Threads