The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

What is the LGBT society?

I'm not a student at Kent until September but I am interested in the different societies that there are to join.

Does anyone know if there's a Karaoke society?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Lol, its the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender soceity. Pretty much something your either interested in or not!

I'm not sure about the karaoke soceity, but there is a list of them online somewhere. Google Kent uni soceities or something, I remember seeing it before.
Aspect
Lol, its the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender soceity. Pretty much something your either interested in or not!

Oh, right.:redface:

I don't mean to be offensive or anything, but don't you think that a society that crams lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people into one group, rather than celebrating each orientation, implies more of a freak show or a 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' reunion?

I don't know...it just sounds a bit cliché to me.
Reply 4
You may feel that way, but practically every university has an LGBT society, and have done for a very long time. I think they must've been started back when it wasn't such an ordinary thing for people to be out in the open about their sexuality, and a chance for them to meet people who felt the same.

*smiles* Now... well, it's just an ordinary society. They meet up, go to gay bars, have discussions and do pretty much what most societies do. It's another way of meeting people - though for some people, it's a way of easing themselves into a lifestyle they're not completely used to yet. Learning by other people's experience and meeting similarly-minded people on the way.

It may seem a bit off, but I spent a lot of time with the LGBT society at my sister's University (she's 3 years older than me) and had a great time. *smiles* Works for some people, seems a bit bizarre to others. I understand where you're coming from, though. I just think as it's been going on in universities since before it was "okay" to be gay, it's just become such a popular society that there's no point taking it away now.

And yes, BabyLove, I have every intention of joining! *grins* I'll get my personal rainbow out and drag it along with me.
katkit
It's another way of meeting people - though for some people, it's a way of easing themselves into a lifestyle they're not completely used to yet.

I suppose so. And thanks for not being too harsh regarding on my previous comment, katkit!

I'm 22, so I often forget that most people starting Uni are 18/19 on average, and thus, as you say, the people joining the society are likely to have only recently discovered their own sexual orientation.:yep:
I've heard that gay people, particularly guys, are a lot more fun to hang out with that straight people...especially on nights out.

So maybe my views will change in a few months, eh?

:ymca:
Reply 6
*smiles* You're entitled to have your own opinion, right? So no worries.

I've been out since I was 11 (I know, early starter) and I've only ever been with girls until my current boyfriend Dan, who I've been with for almost 3 years. He understands my sexuality, luckily, sometimes better than I do - for example, he knows that were we ever to break up, I would instantly be back with girls. The effort of my transition from girls to guys was a difficult, emotional and vulnerable one - and though it was worth it for him, I couldn't do it again.

But we've got a good thing going *grins* so no worries there. But I'm bisexual to say the least, and would feel weird if I didn't join the LGBT society! You're right, though; I had far more fun with the LGBT group than any of the others. There's just something about it. And Dan gets that I'll need an outlet for all my rainbow love :biggrin: god love that guy. I certainly do.

*smiles happily* GOD I can't wait for university.
Interesting comments made here, like most things in life im torn between both your viewpoints! I understand the idea of having a society that celebrates being LGBT - its fantastic obviously but i would walk in to that room and probably be more intimidated there lol then just being bi infront of absolutely everybody..if that makes sense...there's a whole world out there associated with LGBT and it scares me! i guess the society can help with that but id rather imtergrate with everone else rather than all be cooped up in a room lol no offence intended i just don't believe in hangign out with same ppl just because of a similar trait...diversity is the key!
Reply 8
Start A RIOT!
Interesting comments made here, like most things in life im torn between both your viewpoints! I understand the idea of having a society that celebrates being LGBT - its fantastic obviously but i would walk in to that room and probably be more intimidated there lol then just being bi infront of absolutely everybody..if that makes sense...there's a whole world out there associated with LGBT and it scares me! i guess the society can help with that but id rather imtergrate with everone else rather than all be cooped up in a room lol no offence intended i just don't believe in hangign out with same ppl just because of a similar trait...diversity is the key!

It's not just that. Some people go through a tough time and need similar people who actually understand them and what they are going through to talk to.
I suppose it's up to the individual :smile:
Reply 10
Exactly. *grins* Besides, nothing's set in stone. I can go there one week, see if I like the people, and then go out with them once in a while.

I'll hang out with anyone and everyone; the LGBT society is just something I'm familiar with and have had fun with in the past.
Reply 11
I'm straight, but I'm all for boogie-ing in the gay bars :yep:
Reply 12
WOOO!!

We could have a meeting of the Alcohol, Disney and Studio Ghibli Appreciation Society a few hours beforehand, and then go dance it up at gay bars!

:biggrin:

YAAAY!!
Em_maK
I'm straight, but I'm all for boogie-ing in the gay bars :yep:

that pretty much goes for me too.
Reply 14
the wolf at door
that pretty much goes for me too.

Fantasmashizzle.

Collecting quite a group of us here! Though to be fair, I am actually bi-lesbian. 99% lesbian, 1% my boyfriend. He is quite the spanner in the works... don't know how he got past the barrier, but he did somehow!

It's been hard work, though. Me and Dan have been together for almost 3 years, yet I still struggle with the fact that he's a guy sometimes. Emotionally it can be a real bitch to deal with. And, at times, physically.

I don't quite understand myself... I love him, dearly, and it's a good, strong relationship - yet I know for a fact that were we ever to break up, I couldn't do it again. I really, really, really love him, and the work and effort was worth it for him...

I just really couldn't do it again.
katkit
Fantasmashizzle.

Collecting quite a group of us here! Though to be fair, I am actually bi-lesbian. 99% lesbian, 1% my boyfriend. He is quite the spanner in the works... don't know how he got past the barrier, but he did somehow!

It's been hard work, though. Me and Dan have been together for almost 3 years, yet I still struggle with the fact that he's a guy sometimes. Emotionally it can be a real bitch to deal with. And, at times, physically.

I don't quite understand myself... I love him, dearly, and it's a good, strong relationship - yet I know for a fact that were we ever to break up, I couldn't do it again. I really, really, really love him, and the work and effort was worth it for him...

I just really couldn't do it again.

how long have you been with him for?
Reply 16
the wolf at door
how long have you been with him for?

Almost three years. Since the 15th September '05.

Why do you ask?
katkit
Almost three years. Since the 15th September '05.

Why do you ask?

I was thinking that if you'd been with him a while, whether you were less bi/lesbian than you are now if that makes sense.
Reply 18
the wolf at door
I was thinking that if you'd been with him a while, whether you were less bi/lesbian than you are now if that makes sense.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I mean, don't get me wrong, we have a sex life and we're in love - that's fine. But when I got together with him, I don't think I was ready to get into a relationship with a guy - or anyone, actually. I had literally broken up from my girlfriend for two weeks, and I hadn't fallen out of love with her yet.

It was all very much complicated.

But anyway. I can't say I'm more lesbian, because otherwise I wouldn't be in love with a guy, would I? *grins* But at the same time, I constantly feel like I'm denying my real sexuality to myself because I love him - and he knows that, too. He knows about it all and he knows that if it wasn't for him, it'd be Vagina City.

In fact, to be fair, I can find guys attractive and have intimate feelings for them - I just don't ever want to be in a relationship with them.

Oh hell, I'm just one big bundle of confusingness.

There's just something quite perfect about being with a girl. I love wrapping my arms around her from behind, stroking her hair, telling her she's beautiful, turning up on her doorstep in the rain after two train changes and a bus ride (yep, done it!) with a rose just to say that I love her...

My relationship with Dan is quite different. As you can imagine, I can't romance him, he's a LOT taller than me, can play with his hair but can't stroke it as such, if I turned up on the doorstep in the rain with a rose he'd be like... "Baby, what are you doing?" - I can't give everything I so desperately want to give because it doesn't work that way. So I have to suppress quite a lot.

Generally that means all of my friendships with girls are deep and meaningful, and quite intimate.

*smiles* But I know Dan loves me and accepts me for what I am despite all of my extras. And even though I do suppress all the lesbian feelings in me, he makes up for it by creating all these new ones.

Phew! Sorry about all that!
and the society begins! lol

I see the difficulty..
So are you happy to be with him when you could be hooking up with girls at Uni?

Latest

Trending

Trending