The Student Room Group

Chemsitry help its really hard to figure out !!

the sodium phenoxide is the converted to salicylate by passing carbon dioxide under 150C under pressure
Calculate atom economy
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by wfohergtjrf
the sodium phenoxide is the converted to salicylate by passing carbon dioxide under 150C under pressure

Perhaps asking a question may help?
Reply 2
What is the question?
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
Perhaps asking a question may help?

attached a picture help with atom econiomy question above
Reply 4
attached a picture help with atom econiomy question above

Atom economy = Mr of useful products/Mr of all products(or reactants) then x100 to get a percentage.

Which part are you finding difficult?
Reply 5
Original post by tuxedo-
Atom economy = Mr of useful products/Mr of all products(or reactants) then x100 to get a percentage.

Which part are you finding difficult?

please help me find out the calculations
Reply 6
Original post by tuxedo-

Which part are you finding difficult? All of it could you show me the answer its due tomorrow and write the steps so I wont forget thank you

All of it could you give me the answer it is due tomorrow and could u write the working out for ur answer thankyou
Reply 7
All of it could you give me the answer it is due tomorrow and could u write the working out for ur answer thankyou

Giving straight answers on the student room is against the ethos of the website.

Also this reaction is written wrong? Not sure where the H2O comes from. Or it is not balanced somehow properly.

The Mr of the phenoxide ion is 93 (12 x 6 + 5 x 1 + 16 x 1)
The Mr of CO2 is 44 (12 x 1 + 16 x 2)
The Mr of the salicylic acid ion is 137 (12 x 7 + 16 x 3 + 5 x 1)
The Mr of H2O is 18 (16 x 1 + 2 x 1)

Working out Mr's isn't that difficult, it just takes a bit of time. You should have been able to do that on your own or at least attempt it.

Now use the formula i gave you and you should get the answer.

Quick Reply

Latest