The Student Room Group

Yr9 gcse options help

Hiya I'm in Y9 and I'm going to be making my option soon.
I go to a grammar school so these subjects are compulsory:

- Maths
-Physics
- Chemistry
- Biology
- English Lit
- English Lang

We need to choose one out of:

-Spanish
- French

And one out of:

-Drama
-Design Technology
- Computing
-Music
- Art

And one out of:

-Geography
-Religious studies
- History

I know I want to do computing definitely as now it is useful to have some computer skills. But I can't choose out of French or Spanish. I'm average at both. It is actually impossible to choose! Also, I wanted to do Geography for GCSE but lots of my friends in older years say it is really hard to do Geography GCSE. I am reconsidering doing R.S now as it is good for critical thinking. I don't want to do History as I don't enjoy it.

I am looking for a career in Medicine and hopefully become a General Practitioner.

I would really like to hear your opinion. What would you choose out of French and Spanish, in your own opinion? What would you choose out of R.S and Geography for my career path?

Thanks x
Reply 1
i do french but i really hate it if i could i would not do a language as it is a waste of time do u have to do one?
Reply 2
do r.s its much easier and all u need is to learn quotes
Reply 3
If you choose to do GCSE history, there are some good resources here that I found: https://learndojo.org/gcse/edexcel-history/ :smile:
Original post by 000_0000
i do french but i really hate it if i could i would not do a language as it is a waste of time do u have to do one?

yh
our school is extra. we need to choose out of french or spanish or do both (which is saying yes to death :smile:
do r.s its much easier and all u need is to learn quotes

true. do you think it give a wider range of job opportunities than geog
Original post by Nizbaby
If you choose to do GCSE history, there are some good resources here that I found: https://learndojo.org/gcse/edexcel-history/ :smile:

awwww that's so kind of you
but i think history is the last thing i would choose. I'm terrible at it and i find it extremely tedious
Reply 7
Original post by tylacockayne
yh
our school is extra. we need to choose out of french or spanish or do both (which is saying yes to death :smile:

if i had to choose it would be french cuz i have been doing if from primary but i think it sounds easier than spanish

true. do you think it give a wider range of job opportunities than geog

idk i feel if u want to do Medicine then it wouldn't matter and gcse don't count in your uni chocies its your alevels and what you do in alevels is a while away but i have to choose now and idk what i should pick for my 3rd option in collage:frown:
if i had to choose it would be french cuz i have been doing if from primary but i think it sounds easier than spanish

idk i feel if u want to do Medicine then it wouldn't matter and gcse don't count in your uni chocies its your alevels and what you do in alevels is a while away but i have to choose now and idk what i should pick for my 3rd option in collage:frown:

yh but my teachers said that you can't start a new subject in alevel if you haven't done it in gcse. so i needed to know what to pic. And for most unis, for medicine, you need chemistry, one from bio, maths or physics and one extra academic subject but not critical thinking or General Studies

What do you want to do at uni
Reply 9
yh but my teachers said that you can't start a new subject in alevel if you haven't done it in gcse. so i needed to know what to pic. And for most unis, for medicine, you need chemistry, one from bio, maths or physics and one extra academic subject but not critical thinking or General Studies

What do you want to do at uni

i think pyschology and thats not right alot of colloages let u do alevels which u didn't do in gcse like law u cant do that in gcse.
what collage do u want to go is it the school's one your going to?

- Maths
-Physics
- Chemistry
- Biology
- English Lit
- English Lang

-Spanish
- French

And one out of:

-Drama
-Design Technology
- Computing
-Music
- Art

And one out of:

-Geography
-Religious studies
- History

I know I want to do computing definitely as now it is useful to have some computer skills. But I can't choose out of French or Spanish. I'm average at both. It is actually impossible to choose! Also, I wanted to do Geography for GCSE but lots of my friends in older years say it is really hard to do Geography GCSE. I am reconsidering doing R.S now as it is good for critical thinking. I don't want to do History as I don't enjoy it.

I am looking for a career in Medicine and hopefully become a General Practitioner.

I would really like to hear your opinion. What would you choose out of French and Spanish, in your own opinion? What would you choose out of R.S and Geography for my career path?

Thanks x

Hi,

I know for medicine, geography is quite a useful subject. I myself picked both geography and history, and personally I would say that I prefer geography above all else, as it is genuinely quite interesting in terms of case studies on cities and rivers. For history I would advise you only pick it if you are good at continuous essay writing, as it its essentially quite long with various 8 marker to 16 marker questions (it is slightly interesting if you like political stories and quirky medieval facts though).

On the whole I wouldn't know much about RS, as I myself never chose it, but I hear that it requires a lot of memorisation for certain scriptures, but it does seem to be a very successful subject.

For languages I would pick the one that you find the easiest and that you can see yourself getting good grades with. Medicine is a very competitive field and requires a lot of grade 7s and above, so make sure you will be able to cope and understand the options you choose.

On the whole you seem to have all the core subjects, including separate sciences so your good to go! My main advice would be to pick what you is the best for you and what you seem to enjoy most as you will have to spend the next 3 years preparing for them and sitting exams! Good luck :smile:

- Maths
-Physics
- Chemistry
- Biology
- English Lit
- English Lang

-Spanish
- French

And one out of:

-Drama
-Design Technology
- Computing
-Music
- Art

And one out of:

-Geography
-Religious studies
- History

Thanks x

I did french for GCSE and let me tell you it wasnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be- sure, it is a bit boring if your not particularly interested in language (i wasnt!) but it is really easy to pick up and remember. Also, having done french at gcse is a good skill that unis appreciate.
also, i did both history AND geography for gcse- geo was not hard in my opinion it was boring! it depends though if you enjoy learning about physical landscapes, urbanisation, population growth, climate etc. i think geo would go well with bio for medicine.
Original post by Whoareyou?
Hi,

I know for medicine, geography is quite a useful subject. I myself picked both geography and history, and personally I would say that I prefer geography above all else, as it is genuinely quite interesting in terms of case studies on cities and rivers. For history I would advise you only pick it if you are good at continuous essay writing, as it its essentially quite long with various 8 marker to 16 marker questions (it is slightly interesting if you like political stories and quirky medieval facts though).

On the whole I wouldn't know much about RS, as I myself never chose it, but I hear that it requires a lot of memorisation for certain scriptures, but it does seem to be a very successful subject.

For languages I would pick the one that you find the easiest and that you can see yourself getting good grades with. Medicine is a very competitive field and requires a lot of grade 7s and above, so make sure you will be able to cope and understand the options you choose.

On the whole you seem to have all the core subjects, including separate sciences so your good to go! My main advice would be to pick what you is the best for you and what you seem to enjoy most as you will have to spend the next 3 years preparing for them and sitting exams! Good luck :smile:

Thanks so much. That's really helpful. I've done French for 3 years and Spanish for 2. I want to do Spanish but I get higher marks for French. So I'm in a muddy puddle right now. Is Geography GCSE hard from your experience. Lots of people say geography is more easy than interesting as all the answers are straightforward whereas R.S and History require a lot more opinions or writing. Like what are the pros and cons to doing GCSE geography for you?
Just out of curiosity, what is general studies and critical thinking?

I looked at what subjects I need for a levels for medicine and a lot of top universities like Birmingham, Oxford and Cambridge say you can't have a 'General Studies' or 'Critical thinking'?

Thanks for your time :wink:
Thanks so much. That's really helpful. I've done French for 3 years and Spanish for 2. I want to do Spanish but I get higher marks for French. So I'm in a muddy puddle right now. Is Geography GCSE hard from your experience. Lots of people say geography is more easy than interesting as all the answers are straightforward whereas R.S and History require a lot more opinions or writing. Like what are the pros and cons to doing GCSE geography for you?

Well personally, I actually quite enjoy Geography, but its only really enjoyable if you understand it. If you take Edexcel geography you get quite lucky, as you get many easy marks through multiple choice questions etc. There are two main sections to geography- human geography and physical geography.

Human geography is focused on things like migration and human population and many of my friends say they prefer it best, as its the easiest part. But personally I really enjoy physical geography, I mean I know a lot of people don't enjoy learning about rocks (the worst part by far) but I find it interesting and satisfying as all you have to do is nail the processes and learn how things such as rivers move etc. Also, for case studies, again I got quite lucky as it was based on the city that I live in and you get to visit a few different places for fieldwork, so we visited an upland river area and the main part of my city which was both boring and fun at the same time.

It can sometimes be a drag though, but for me its way better than History, as in History you never really know what is coming up and I'm extremely rubbish at remembering dates and important details. I do like History though, but I honestly regret picking it.

It might not be like that for you though, you might find you hate geography and love history, but overall for me I find that geography is way more useful and there are more resources like revision guides to help me compared to in history where you can't exactly get the answer from the revision guide. Again please pick what suits you best, we may have completely different experiences!
I'm in Year 10, I picked French and Spanish. I loved both last year but this year Spanish is really hard, very heavy workload, big regret. French is usual pace and it's ok, quite enjoying it. I'm doing history and it's OK, not too hard and there's lots of info to help and we get to go on trips. My friends doing geography are not happy, they say it's very boring, they picked it as they wanted to learn countries but it's all glaciers and oceans. Also be careful with picking computing, it's not what we expected, it's very mathematical. I switched to do what you call design technology, we call it creative I-media. It's much more fun, we build websites and animate on the computer and the exams are spread out, with our first this January. One friend is doing RS and says it's quite easy and interesting. My least enjoyable is Art. It's very slow and we are very limited in what we can do and it's no fun at all. Good luck in choosing. It stressed me out for months.
Reply 16
Original post by eloiserain
I'm in Year 10, I picked French and Spanish. I loved both last year but this year Spanish is really hard, very heavy workload, big regret. French is usual pace and it's ok, quite enjoying it. I'm doing history and it's OK, not too hard and there's lots of info to help and we get to go on trips. My friends doing geography are not happy, they say it's very boring, they picked it as they wanted to learn countries but it's all glaciers and oceans. Also be careful with picking computing, it's not what we expected, it's very mathematical. I switched to do what you call design technology, we call it creative I-media. It's much more fun, we build websites and animate on the computer and the exams are spread out, with our first this January. One friend is doing RS and says it's quite easy and interesting. My least enjoyable is Art. It's very slow and we are very limited in what we can do and it's no fun at all. Good luck in choosing. It stressed me out for months.

I'm in Year 10 at the moment too. However, I don't take French but I do take Spanish and German. I definitely agree that the Spanish workload is very heavy. I do AQA Spec A RS (it's compulsory at my school) and it's so much better than I thought it would be. I also do Edexcel History and I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would - lots of 16/20 mark questions, but then again I haven't enioyed paper 1 one bit. Some of my friends (Year 10 and 11) have chosen Geography and aren't enjoying it either. I haven't chosen anything like Art, Computing, D&T, etc... and that is a big regret that I have. I don't know if this will help you but it's just what I'm thinking at the moment. Good luck with choosing! 🙂
i think pyschology and thats not right alot of colloages let u do alevels which u didn't do in gcse like law u cant do that in gcse.
what collage do u want to go is it the school's one your going to?

Well I have two options the school I'm going to now or the boys version of my school
Original post by eloiserain

Thanks. That's really helpful. Which one do YOU find the easiest - spanish or french and why?
Original post by Whoareyou?
Well personally, I actually quite enjoy Geography, but its only really enjoyable if you understand it. If you take Edexcel geography you get quite lucky, as you get many easy marks through multiple choice questions etc. There are two main sections to geography- human geography and physical geography.

Human geography is focused on things like migration and human population and many of my friends say they prefer it best, as its the easiest part. But personally I really enjoy physical geography, I mean I know a lot of people don't enjoy learning about rocks (the worst part by far) but I find it interesting and satisfying as all you have to do is nail the processes and learn how things such as rivers move etc. Also, for case studies, again I got quite lucky as it was based on the city that I live in and you get to visit a few different places for fieldwork, so we visited an upland river area and the main part of my city which was both boring and fun at the same time.

It can sometimes be a drag though, but for me its way better than History, as in History you never really know what is coming up and I'm extremely rubbish at remembering dates and important details. I do like History though, but I honestly regret picking it.

It might not be like that for you though, you might find you hate geography and love history, but overall for me I find that geography is way more useful and there are more resources like revision guides to help me compared to in history where you can't exactly get the answer from the revision guide. Again please pick what suits you best, we may have completely different experiences!

What you said does make sense actually.

Quick Reply

Latest