jammydani
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
i wasn’t in school for about a week due to medical reasons and missed lessons on DNA. i have no idea what genomes are or what the human genome project is, and when i look it up or read about it i just can’t get my head around it at all. could someone explain to me:
- what is a human genome??
- how was the human genome project important??
- which diseases do scientists know more about because of the hgp??
Munrhe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jammydani)
i wasn’t in school for about a week due to medical reasons and missed lessons on DNA. i have no idea what genomes are or what the human genome project is, and when i look it up or read about it i just can’t get my head around it at all. could someone explain to me:
- what is a human genome??
- how was the human genome project important??
- which diseases do scientists know more about because of the hgp??
Genome - complete set of genes
Importance - provided a complete and accurate sequence of the 3 billion DNA base pairs constituting the human genome and finding all of 20k human genes
More info on - cancer, other genetically driven diseases and their treatment (more differentiated), treatment options for heart diseases where certain gene presence or absence will make certain treatments more or less successful etc.

Hope that helps and good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (187)
33.27%
Receiving them online / by email (282)
50.18%
I still don't know (93)
16.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed