How many hours a week is recommended for job during during Year 13 Watch

AM_TSR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I kinda need a job during sixth form to just pay for expenses. If my time management's good, what's the recommended amount of hours to work during year 13?
Last edited by AM_TSR; 4 days ago
Tracey1995
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by AM_TSR)
I kinda need a job during sixth form to just pay for expenses. If my time management's good, what's the recommended amount of hours to work during year 13?
Around 16 hours maximum you can do but could do slightly more if you are capable of doing it.
rockyroad1987
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Start with a weekend job, maybe working just a saturday or a sunday, and then gradually increase your hours if you need to/want to.

To answer your question though, I'd say anywhere between 8 and 16 hours is good, but no one than 20.
big_nerd_tbh_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'm not sure entirely since I'm y12 and whatnot but I've decided that 5 hours on Sat and Sun and maybe 5 on a Fri is a great way to make some money while also having time for college. I assume you have free periods during sixth form so if you dedicate that time to work and maybe an hour or so after school most nights I don't see how it wouldn't work out.
AM_TSR
Rep:
?
Yeah, I was planning on doing around 4 hours on Friday, Saturday & Sunday so I'm guessing that'll be fine. 12 hours a week.

(Original post by Tracey1995)
Around 16 hours maximum you can do but could do slightly more if you are capable of doing it.
(Original post by rockyroad1987)
Start with a weekend job, maybe working just a saturday or a sunday, and then gradually increase your hours if you need to/want to.

To answer your question though, I'd say anywhere between 8 and 16 hours is good, but no one than 20.
(Original post by big_nerd_tbh_)
I'm not sure entirely since I'm y12 and whatnot but I've decided that 5 hours on Sat and Sun and maybe 5 on a Fri is a great way to make some money while also having time for college. I assume you have free periods during sixth form so if you dedicate that time to work and maybe an hour or so after school most nights I don't see how it wouldn't work out.
hokyung1121
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I started my job in April of year 12, where I had 10 hours fixed shift and the chance to cover people if I wanted to earn extra. During the summer I definitely did extra hours, but coming into September of year 13, I only do my Sunday shift, which is 5 hours per week.
AM_TSR
Rep:
?
(Original post by hokyung1121)
I started my job in April of year 12, where I had 10 hours fixed shift and the chance to cover people if I wanted to earn extra. During the summer I definitely did extra hours, but coming into September of year 13, I only do my Sunday shift, which is 5 hours per week.
That's good but realistically, nobody would hire me if I said I could only work 5 hours per week. I'll have a month probation period anyway I think so I'll see how it goes.
hokyung1121
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by AM_TSR)
That's good but realistically, nobody would hire me if I said I could only work 5 hours per week. I'll have a month probation period anyway I think so I'll see how it goes.
Ye it’s unlikely you find a job with those hours. I suggest that you tell your employer you could do 10-15 hours and then after few months of working reduce it? That’s what I did anyways
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (159)
19.34%
Labour (418)
50.85%
Liberal Democrats (111)
13.5%
Green Party (45)
5.47%
Brexit Party (12)
1.46%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.49%
SNP (14)
1.7%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.49%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.73%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)