XDaJokerz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I need help choosing uni. i am a student wanting to study economics at uni. my predicted is AAB, i know i want to apply to UCL, Queen mary, goldsmith and southampton, but i dont know what uni to do as a back up maybe lower requirements but also a reputable uni. Preferrably based in london, as i am from london,
CatKilledbyCurio
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Economics is so competitive that AAB would put you at a disadvantage, what were your GCSE like? Also what subjects do you take
CatKilledbyCurio
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Economics is so competitive that AAB would put you at a disadvantage, what were your GCSE like? Also what subjects do you take
WinterKuma
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
UCL will outright reject you without the A* in maths. Don't waste your choice, trust me
XDaJokerz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by WinterKuma)
UCL will outright reject you without the A* in maths. Don't waste your choice, trust me
shall i do kings college then
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by XDaJokerz)
I need help choosing uni. i am a student wanting to study economics at uni. my predicted is AAB, i know i want to apply to UCL, Queen mary, goldsmith and southampton, but i dont know what uni to do as a back up maybe lower requirements but also a reputable uni. Preferrably based in london, as i am from london,
Possibly Brunel but it is on the outskirts. If you are prepared to go outside London try Reading as this is a half hour train ride from Paddington.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
shall i do kings college then
KCL's published entry requirements are A*AA with an A in Mathematics, which is also possibly too high given your grade predictions.

You should be okay with Goldsmiths, though (BBB). Queen Mary would be an aspirational choice (AAA), although they might make you an offer if are doing Maths A-level.

Have you thought about SOAS instead of UCL? They ask for AAB-AAA.

Reading, Royal Holloway and Sussex are all ABB choices within easy reach of London. Any of these could be good options for you, too.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi XDaJokerz!

At Goldsmiths we require at least BBB (we also typically need at least Grade B/Grade 6 in GCSE Economics, Maths or Statistics), so we would welcome your application! If you have any questions about applying to Goldsmiths feel free to let me know 😊

-Miranda 🤩
XDaJokerz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
any more help
XDaJokerz
Rep:
?
im stuck between choosing SOAS or uni of southampton. southampton is a russel group by the way. And between UCL and Kings college, UCL is better and requires A* in mathematics, whereas kings want a A in mathematics. Furthermore i am thinking of maybe doing univeristy london south bank, which is a BCC, is that too low?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
im stuck between choosing SOAS or uni of southampton. southampton is a russel group by the way. And between UCL and Kings college, UCL is better and requires A* in mathematics, whereas kings want a A in mathematics. Furthermore i am thinking of maybe doing univeristy london south bank, which is a BCC, is that too low?.
Dont base anything on whether or not a university is in the Russell Group. It is a purely a body set up to protect the interests of its members. Treat each university on its own merits and decide which you prefer. I dont think you need to go as low as this. Many universities accept lower grades on results days and there are always universities in clearing every year
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
im stuck between choosing SOAS or uni of southampton. southampton is a russel group by the way. And between UCL and Kings college, UCL is better and requires A* in mathematics, whereas kings want a A in mathematics. Furthermore i am thinking of maybe doing univeristy london south bank, which is a BCC, is that too low?
That is subjective about whether a BCC uni is too low for someone predicted AAB but I wouldn't personally want to go that low - nor would I want to go as high as A*AA at UCL and Kings and probably get 2 rejections.

I would look at the advice already given to stick with unis in the range AAA (Queen Marys) to BBB (Goldsmiths).
XDaJokerz
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Dont base anything on whether or not a university is in the Russell Group. It is a purely a body set up to protect the interests of its members. Treat each university on its own merits and decide which you prefer. I dont think you need to go as low as this. Many universities accept lower grades on results days and there are always universities in clearing every year
so if unis do clearing, and do lower grades, will ucl do lower grades. is it true you have to choose 2 unis in may
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
so if unis do clearing, and do lower grades, will ucl do lower grades. is it true you have to choose 2 unis in may
UCL are pretty much never in clearing so it's irrelevant. Even if they were, it would be competitive and they'd hardly be grasping for places.
You have until May to decide your firm and insurance universities.

Why not move out of London though?
XDaJokerz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
UCL are pretty much never in clearing so it's irrelevant. Even if they were, it would be competitive and they'd hardly be grasping for places.
You have until May to decide your firm and insurance universities.

Why not move out of London though?
i just dont like the feel of moving out of london, i been to southampton and it just feels empty. So far i have Kings college , Queen mary, SOAS, goldsith and southbank for my uni. I am still unsure about london southbank, do u have any other recomendations for southabnk
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
i just dont like the feel of moving out of london, i been to southampton and it just feels empty. So far i have Kings college , Queen mary, SOAS, goldsith and southbank for my uni. I am still unsure about london southbank, do u have any other recomendations for southabnk
London's got a fair few unis but understand that you're limiting yourself by not looking at any outside of there. Decide if going to a worse university is worth staying in London for, or if you'd rather move than risk going to a worse uni.
Also yeah Southampton is small. What about larger cities? Birmingham maybe? They allow you in with AAB if you get a B or above in A-level maths
XDaJokerz
Rep:
?
hello
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You have to choose a firm university by 2 May and, if you decide to do so an insurance choice as well. The majority of universities do enter clearing but the likes of Oxford, Cambridge,, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Durham dont so if you want to risk choosing UCL you need to put it as your first choice and somewhere else as your insurance. You need to be aware UCL are unlikely to accept you with grades lower which is fairly common with some of you other choices. The difficulty with London is that you 3 really highly ranked universities in LSE, Imperial and UCL who require very high grades. Kings and Queen Mary are quite well ranked but offer slightly lower grades but the others are lower ranked universities requiring lower grades. Royal Holloway is some way out near Windsor and Brunel a fair way out in Uxbridge. The question you have to decide is are these too far out. You try 1 out of UCL or Kings as an aspirational choice together with Queen Mary and places like SOAS, Goldsmiths and City. By staying in London you really are restricting yourself. Places like Reading, Surrey or Kent would be ideal places to look at if you were prepared to travel and there are many good choices a bit further away. Ultimately it boils down to what you want and only you can make that decision.
XDaJokerz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
London's got a fair few unis but understand that you're limiting yourself by not looking at any outside of there. Decide if going to a worse university is worth staying in London for, or if you'd rather move than risk going to a worse uni.
Also yeah Southampton is small. What about larger cities? Birmingham maybe? They allow you in with AAB if you get a B or above in A-level maths
I just feel its too far away, and travelling there and back is too long. do u have any recommendations for london south bank in london
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I just feel its too far away, and travelling there and back is too long. do u have any recommendations for london south bank in london
About London South Bank uni? nah sorry I don't know anything about it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?