How important are Year 11 mock exams ACTUALLY? Watch

burnout7
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've just started my mocks, and looking back on many of my exams I just get the feelings that I have not done as well as I'd have hoped. My aim was to get at least 6's (B's in the old grading system I think) and I fear I won't achieve that. With all that said, just how important are mocks, and do Sixth Forms and Collages look at your grades from mocks?
lalala4782
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
schools use them for predictions which sixth forms look at to see if they want to offer you a place but they aren't your gcses so don't worry too much. teachers just want you to put in the effort so they can see what you can achieve
hokyung1121
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Honestly, GCSE mocks aren’t important. Your sixth form will look at your actual GCSEs but not your mocks, and at my sixth form we did another test to determine our predicted grades (so mocks were definitely not taken into consideration). Also, I got a 2 in French in December Mocks but ended up getting 8 for my actual GCSE so if you put in the efforts it’s achievable - mocks don’t define you.
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In terms of grades, mocks aren't really important in the slightest, although they do give an indication of what might be likely in the real thing (e.g. it's unlikely but not impossible to go from a 3 in mocks to a 9 in the real thing) but they are really important in terms of learning how to revise, and beginning to go over last year's topics. Use them as an opportunity to see what you already know and what you need to focus your revision/ skill improvement on, and don't worry too much about the grades because they are usually only 1 component in deciding your predicted grades.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
They're main use I'd say is if you're interested in applying to some competitive sixth forms or grammar schools etc. If you received all 4s and 5s in your mocks in year 11, but the school wants 10 grades 7-9 etc then there's going to be a problem. They'll probably be discussed at parent's evening, and probably in class where you'll spend a lesson correcting it. But other than that, they're not a big deal no.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (228)
67.66%
No (109)
32.34%

Watched Threads