Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am fully aware of that it's one of the banned calculators from IBO
    but I used in in my Physics exam (not in the Maths) and I had no problem with it.

The thing is, I have to re-sit the Maths exam in this Nov, and TI-89 is the only calculator that I currently have and I really don't want to spend( it might be more accurate to say to waste) a fortune on calc. so...

What I noticed during exam session is that invigilator are simply not interested in checking candidate's calc... So I'm thiking to use it for Maths HL Do you think its acceptable? or is it risky to do so?

ReputationRep:
    My calculators have never been checked and if they don't check yours then you'll probably get away with it. Though if you get caught you'll have serious consequences. And surely isn't it banned because it can help you cheat? Borrow an allowed calculator from a friend and do it the good old fashioned non-cheating way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sick Puppy)
    My calculators have never been checked and if they don't check yours then you'll probably get away with it. Though if you get caught you'll have serious consequences. And surely isn't it banned because it can help you cheat? Borrow an allowed calculator from a friend and do it the good old fashioned non-cheating way
    :dito:

It's really not worth being disqualified because you were too lazy to borrow a permitted calculator.

ReputationRep:
    I c
    Many thanks though

ReputationRep:
    i seem to remember my maths teacher telling me about this.... back in the day you used to have write which calculator you used - if you used a banned one you automatically lost 10% of your mark (maybe even 20% i can't remember exactly), whereas if you didn't state which calculator you used, i.e. left the box blank, you lost 1 mark

Ridiculous system really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XIII)
    i seem to remember my maths teacher telling me about this.... back in the day you used to have write which calculator you used - if you used a banned one you automatically lost 10% of your mark (maybe even 20% i can't remember exactly), whereas if you didn't state which calculator you used, i.e. left the box blank, you lost 1 mark

Ridiculous system really.
    No, you lost 10% regardless of whether you didn't fill in the serial number and model, or if you filled it in with an illegal model's information.

Now there is no penalty, but supposedly more stringent checks - you can, I believe, now be disqualified for using the wrong type of calculator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinhans31)
    I am fully aware of that it's one of the banned calculators from IBO
    but I used in in my Physics exam (not in the Maths) and I had no problem with it.

The thing is, I have to re-sit the Maths exam in this Nov, and TI-89 is the only calculator that I currently have and I really don't want to spend( it might be more accurate to say to waste) a fortune on calc. so...

What I noticed during exam session is that invigilator are simply not interested in checking candidate's calc... So I'm thiking to use it for Maths HL Do you think its acceptable? or is it risky to do so?
    DEFINITELY not the way to go. Why can't you ask your teacher to borrow one...or one of your friends...you'll be better off than being disqualified for something so little. Why risk it?

ReputationRep:
    I love my Ti89 Titaium. If you do take it in, make sure it has no programs on it.

ReputationRep:
    cheating on your transcript(s) wont look too great friend....
    getting caught isnt worth it yo..

ReputationRep:
    my mate got caught, and disqualified from that exam

ReputationRep:
    wow... disqualified for the use of improper calculator?
    I thought there is some kind of penalty or something
    but disqualification is something that I need to seriously think about ;(
    Thanks! It'd be much better to borrow a calculator from my mate...

(Original post by Pheonixx)
    my mate got caught, and disqualified from that exam

ReputationRep:
    wow... disqualified for the use of improper calculator?
    I thought there is some kind of penalty or something
    but disqualification is something that I need to seriously think about ;(
    Thanks! It'd be much better to borrow a calculator from my mate...
    they are disqualified for a reason though....
    they don't choose random calculators haha.

ReputationRep:
    Would you recommend any?
    I really don't want to spend a fortune on buying calculator
    Thanks

(Original post by Pheonixx)
    they are disqualified for a reason though....
    they don't choose random calculators haha.

ReputationRep:
    don't try.

ReputationRep:
    nah the thing is I went back to my home country and I have to re-sit the maths exam
    I borrowed TI-84 silver edition from friend of mine for may exam but I already gave it back to her and we live in a differnt country
    and furthermore no one seems to have 'accepted' calc in Korea
    In Korea, most ppl either do not have one (since use of calc is strictly forbidden in Korean Maths) or use TI-89 (as it is good for AP & SAT)

Any suggestions?
    Are you still in North America? You could buy it here...or on E-bay. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    nah I went back to Korea
    None of my Korean friends own accepted calculators such as TI-83 or TI-84
    I think I have to buy another one
    Maybe you could buy it from here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...I-83&x=13&y=27 or http://itempage3.auction.co.kr/Detai...3&frm2=through

Hope this helps! :p:

ReputationRep:
    U got Korean website as well
    Thanks a lot. I really appreaciate it

(Original post by dafunkyguy)
    Maybe you could buy it from here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...I-83&x=13&y=27 or http://itempage3.auction.co.kr/Detai...3&frm2=through

Hope this helps! :p:

ReputationRep:
    U got Korean website as well
    Thanks a lot. I really appreaciate it
    No problem...I just looked at the pictures...that's all...and then I found it. Seems pretty cheap to me. Buy it! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! I will!
    But I'm a little worried about delivery though :woo:

Is it safe and quick to purchase things from Amazon?
    I've never use that website as I don't reside in N.America and I presume it would take quite a long time to get here...

Any suggestions? Is it trusthworthy? (no offense, but I don't have any idea of them, so...)

(Original post by dafunkyguy)
    No problem...I just looked at the pictures...that's all...and then I found it. Seems pretty cheap to me. Buy it! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! I will!
    But I'm a little worried about delivery though :woo:

Is it safe and quick to purchase things from Amazon?
    I've never use that website as I don't reside in N.America and I presume it would take quite a long time to get here...

Any suggestions? Is it trusthworthy? (no offense, but I don't have any idea of them, so...)
    It's definitely trustworthy...I have bought things from there...it's pretty fast...but only if you live in the States. Shipping would be pretty expensive. That is why I put a Korean website so that would be easier for you. However, I can't read Korean...so that's up to you to decide. For me, the most accessible one would definitely be the one on the Korean website...but the most reliable would be Amazon.

P.S. The cheap one would be the one on the Korean website...65 US$! That's really cheap...considering that the standard price for the TI-83 calculators are around $90 at its lowest price in Canada. :yep:

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.