TSR General Election December 2019 a guide / help thread! Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
This December, a TSR general election is happening. This is part of the Model House of Commons, TSR's very own parliament game.

All TSR users are able to vote in the general election, as long as they have at least 100 posts and their account is at least 3 months old. We encourage everyone who can to cast a vote, with voting open between 5th and 12th December, and this thread has been created to help people get the information they need to make an informed choice.

The voting thread can be found here!

What is the election for?
Since 2005 TSR has hosted a Model House of Commons (MHoC) as part of its politics section. This is basically a role-playing game, which is open to anyone who thinks it might sound fun. Every six months or so there is a general election to elect 50 MPs. This one is taking place due to the fact that a real election is taking place now.

Why vote?
Part of the fun of the MHoC is that its election results reflect what TSR users actually think, and the way that we try to get as good a cross-section of people as possible. The election is also a chance for us to make ourselves known to other TSR users, some of whom might be interested in getting more involved as party members or MPs.

Can I be elected an MP or get involved in some other way?
Yes! Rather than electing individual MPs, votes are cast for parties (unless for an individual independent candidate), which then distribute the seats to their members. This means that there is often a chance for people who first come across the MHoC at election time to become MPs fairly soon afterwards. If you are interested in joining a party, the best place to start is in the welcome thread, in the useful links below.

Useful links:

MHoC beginners' guide and FAQ (what is this even for?)

MHoC welcome thread – drop in and say hi, or join a party!

Vote in the TSR general election!!

Suggest Questions for our election debate.

Look back on our election debate!
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 2 months ago
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
tl;dr: Vote Conservative and you'll be fine.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Amendment to the above post -

TL;DR: Vote Labour and you'll be fine
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you Mr Speaker for the explanation for those who have not encountered the Model House of Commons before.

Worth noting that this is an election where a form of proportional representation is used, and that there have been independent candidates elected.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Amendment to the above post -

TL;DR: Vote Labour and you'll be fine
...fine as in governed by an empty shill?
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Why are you advertising the MHOC inside the MHOC? Shouldn't you advertise the MHOC outside the MHOC to people who don't know the MHOC exists and what it does?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Why are you advertising the MHOC inside the MHOC? Shouldn't you advertise the MHOC outside the MHOC to people who don't know the MHOC exists and what it does?
My guess is that this is linked to the mass PM, so this thread will be sent around to all the recipients.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
My guess is that this is linked to the mass PM, so this thread will be sent around to all the recipients.
This thread is currently linked to a thread in the GE 2019 forum for instance.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I hope we're going to do debating by armed combat, spice things up a bit innit? :grin:
Ayyimmanerd
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ah, that's sad. I can't actually vote yet... Oh well. Hopefully, Lib Dems'll do well then.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Vote Libertarian, vote for freedom.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Ayyimmanerd)
Ah, that's sad. I can't actually vote yet... Oh well. Hopefully, Lib Dems'll do well then.
Voting for this opens tonight. Some time after 8pm
Ayyimmanerd
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Voting for this opens tonight. Some time after 8pm
I mean I haven't been on here long enough
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ayyimmanerd)
I mean I haven't been on here long enough
You should pop into the Lib Dem subforum and say hi though! There'll also be MP seats going after the election!
Ayyimmanerd
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
You should pop into the Lib Dem subforum and say hi though! There'll also be MP seats going after the election!
Will do. Thanks!
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm doing it just for the variety, 14 years is too long for any party :awesome:
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
I'm doing it just for the variety, 14 years is too long for any party :awesome:
Well on TSR the current/outgoing government has been the government for the whole term of just under six months, which would be five years translated into real-life term lengths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed