staying friends after a relationship Watch

piglet29
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
does anyone think its possible to stay good friends with someone you've been in a relationship with, after you split up? or is it pointless?
amylase55
Report 10 years ago
if i ever split up with my bf i would definetly want to stay friends with him if it was possible. but i guess it is very hard sometimes and if it ended badly
pkiy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I m convinced that its perfectly possible to stay friends after a nice relationship.
Rosaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It usually doesn't work straight away, but give eachother time and space, and I reckon you can then be friends.
蘋果
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Am sure its possible for some,

But for me, its never happened. We just tend to drift apart after the breakup regardless whoever was the one that suggested the breakup.
Constante
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not a great idea in some respects, but if the attraction has truly died out and it wasn't a bitter end, then pourqoui pas?
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rosaaa)
It usually doesn't work straight away, but give eachother time and space, and I reckon you can then be friends.
This.

Don't even try to remain friends immediately after the break up, or even in the next few weeks. You both need space to get over these sorts of things. I'm still friends with a couple of my ex's, so it's certainly possible. I must admit, the girl I'd been going out with for the longest period actually annoys me to crap sometimes, but I think that's just because our personalities don't (and never did) really match.
piglet29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Constante)
Not a great idea in some respects, but if the attraction has truly died out and it wasn't a bitter end, then pourqoui pas?

what if there is still attraction...from both people =S
Mastermind`
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by piglet29)
You can become friends with benefits
fungirl1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If u were good friends before, or had a good foundtion to ur relationship then it is completely possible. U've just got to give each other a lot of space. It will deffo be awkard in the beginning but time is a healer.
Y'anami!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm friends with all my ex's.
piglet29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mastermind`)
You can become friends with benefits
but then isnt that basically like going out with them again?
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why did you and your partner break up in the first place if you're still attracted to each other? (assuming you're talking from experience)
amy.dd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's worked out for me. I think at first you just have to give one another a lot of space and at the start it can be hard and you have to be prepared to be hurt or feel awkward or jealous sometimes (mainly during the start of the friendship when your still not completely over it).

I've always been friends with my boyfriends before dating them so maybe that helps.
fungirl1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If there is still an attraction i would say no. there is still gonna b a element of jealously. I suppose it boils down to how strong the attraction is
piglet29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howells)
Why did you and your partner break up in the first place if you're still attracted to each other? (assuming you're talking from experience)
because we live quite far apart and didnt get to see each other as often as we would like. i didnt want to end it but he did =(
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
because we live quite far apart and didnt get to see each other as often as we would like. i didnt want to end it but he did =(
Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good
I think it's definitely possible to stay friends with exes, as long as they feel the same about it. It may be hard for you though, say if he gets with someone else and talks to you about it as a friend, or vice versa. If you really want to keep in touch then go for it
piglet29
Rep:
?
he keeps sending me mixed signals which makes it difficult for me to move on =S one minute he says "i think we should move on, it will be better for us" and the next minute he says "i miss/love you so much". he even told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me the other day and that it could happen which i thought was a strange thing to say, when he decided that we should break up. i just feel so confused!
*Lou*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm still friends with my ex bf. I still care about him, but as a friend.
We broke up because we had our differences (of course there was some anger and awkwardness at the begining), and I think we both thought (for the last month) that it's better to be just friends.
*Lou*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
he keeps sending me mixed signals which makes it difficult for me to move on =S one minute he says "i think we should move on, it will be better for us" and the next minute he says "i miss/love you so much". he even told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me the other day and that it could happen which i thought was a strange thing to say, when he decided that we should break up. i just feel so confused!
Ohh that reminds me so much of my ex !! :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (520)
80.62%
Leave (125)
19.38%

Watched Threads