Jshek
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I need help urgently I dont get any of this. Please guide me through the questions
Jshek
Rep:
?
Name:  Screenshot_20191203-211850_Gallery.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  59.0 KB
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What exactly didn't you understand and why do you need help to solve these questions?

To 4:
Butanal is an aldehyde. Do you know the functional group of this organic substance?

To 5:
pentanoic acid is a carboxylic acid. Can't you guess the functional group out?

To 6:
It is an alkene. Do you know the difference between an alkane and alkene? clue: it has to do with a bond. On which carbon atoms can be this bond? name the position of this bond and thus the isomers.

To 7:
That is a halogenalkane, so an alkane with chlorine on it to be exact. On which carbon atoms can this chlorine be placed?

To 8:
Halogenalkane again, but with two bromine atoms as halogen this time. How can those two be distributed on the chemical structure? on which carbon atoms they can be bonded?
Jshek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
What exactly didn't you understand and why do you need help to solve these questions?

To 4:
Butanal is an aldehyde. Do you know the functional group of this organic substance?

To 5:
pentanoic acid is a carboxylic acid. Can't you guess the functional group out?

To 6:
It is an alkene. Do you know the difference between an alkane and alkene? clue: it has to do with a bond. On which carbon atoms can be this bond? name the position of this bond and thus the isomers.

To 7:
That is a halogenalkane, so an alkane with chlorine on it to be exact. On which carbon atoms can this chlorine be placed?

To 8:
Halogenalkane again, but with two bromine atoms as halogen this time. How can those two be distributed on the chemical structure? on which carbon atoms they can be bonded?
Name:  15754113059168601700932525017397.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  100.8 KB
would this be correct (i dont know if my drawing are right)
Jshek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jshek)
Name:  15754113059168601700932525017397.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  100.8 KB
would this be correct (i dont know if my drawing are right)
Name:  15754139519473170425461553998963.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  81.7 KBand this one please
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
That’s not pentanoic acid you’ve drawn that’s propyl ethanoate which is an ester, which works as a functional group isomer. The carboxylate group is always at the end of the chain so you don’t number it’s position.
Last edited by Deggs_14; 3 months ago
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
A chain isomer of pentanoic acid would be methylbutanoic acid or dimethylpropanoic acid - label with carbon atoms the methyl groups are on eg 2-methylbutanoicacid, numbering from the carbon of the carboxylate ion as carbon 1.
Jshek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
That’s not pentanoic acid you’ve drawn that’s propyl ethanoate which is an ester, which works as a functional group isomer. The carboxylate group is always at the end of the chain so you don’t number it’s position.
I'm confused because pentanoic acid is C5H10O2 which is what I drawer
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jshek)
I'm confused because pentanoic acid is C5H10O2 which is what I drawer
The aldehydes in 4a) and 4c) are wrong too. There is no Aldehyde group (-CHO) drawn for this kind organic substance. And as it is written above, pentanoic acid as a carboxylic acid has a carboxyl group (-COOH), that is what can't be seen in your sketch.
Jshek
Rep:
?
The aldehydes in 4a) and 4c) are wrong too. There is no Aldehyde group (-CHO) drawn for this kind organic substance. And as it is written above, pentanoic acid as a carboxylic acid has a carboxyl group (-COOH), that is what can't be seen in your sketch.
For 4a I have C double bond O and H which gives me COH right?
Jshek
Rep:
?
I've drawn C double bond O single bond O and H at the end of pentanoic acid which gives me COOH? What am I doing wrong?
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jshek)
I've drawn C double bond O single bond O and H at the end of pentanoic acid which gives me COOH? What am I doing wrong?
The functional groups are on the first C-atoms:

For the -CHO on aldehydes, an O double bond and an H are connected on this C atom.

For the -COOH in carboxylic acid, an O double bond and -O-H bond is on the first C-atom connected.

Both are not drawn in your sketches.
Last edited by Kallisto; 3 months ago
Jshek
Rep:
?
The functional groups are on the first C-atoms:

For the -CHO on aldehydes, an O double bond and an H are connected on this C atom.

For the -COOH in carboxylic acid, an O double bond and -O-H bond is on the first C-atom connected.

Both are not drawn in your sketches.
Like that
Name:  15754734042352929391464971280629.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  93.9 KB
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jshek)
Like that
Name:  15754734042352929391464971280629.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  93.9 KB
Send you some links to aldehyde and carboxylic acid. Look at them and compare.

Aldehyde
http://www.u-helmich.de/che/EF/atom/.../aldehyd01.jpg

R stands for the chain length of hydrocarbons

Carboxylic acid
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...re_V.1.svg.png

The same here: R is the chain length of hydrocarbons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (104)
61.54%
No (34)
20.12%
Not sure (31)
18.34%

Watched Threads