Feeling anxious on driving tests Watch

Lucymay98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys
So I have my driving test at the end of the month and I suffer with anxiety I get very nervous before and during a test what advice can I get to stop feeling this way as I feel this is why I can't get through it but I also cant snap out of it
21ForEva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey there

So the night before the test I would rock out to any jumpy / hype music that can release all your nervous energy. Then before going to bed, you’re gonna feel extremely tired after doing that so now listen to positive affirmation meditations and slowly fall asleep.

Don’t stop eating or sleeping normally: continue with a healthy diet and normal sleeping patterns of at least 8 hours of sleep.

For food on the day, have breakfast normally and I would have 250mls water with 3 tablespoons of glucose to keep up your energy. If it’s in the afternoon then for lunch don’t have any fast foods - have something that will slowly release energy like a jacket potato with tuna or beans OR salmon and boiled vegetables.
A smoothie would be good to have also but if you have a sensitive stomach (and your anxiety flares this up as well) then don’t do it otherwise you’ll find yourself literally sh*tting it at the rest haha.

Try to keep your mind off of it by doing what you usually do during the week so either school / uni / work stuff.

Enjoy doing a hobby more often that you usually do.

Write your feelings of anxiety down and burn them or throw it away. Never keep anything bottled in.

Have a stress ball near you any time during that week or the day of the test if you feel like you’re gonna start panicking about the driving test.

Is it AM / PM?
Last edited by 21ForEva; 1 week ago
Lucymay98
Rep:
?
(Original post by 21ForEva)
Hey there

So the night before the test I would rock out to any jumpy / hype music that can release all your nervous energy. Then before going to bed, you’re gonna feel extremely tired after doing that so now listen to positive affirmation meditations and slowly fall asleep.

Don’t stop eating or sleeping normally: continue with a healthy diet and normal sleeping patterns of at least 8 hours of sleep.

For food on the day, have breakfast normally and I would have 250mls water with 3 tablespoons of glucose to keep up your energy. If it’s in the afternoon then for lunch don’t have any fast foods - have something that will slowly release energy like a jacket potato with tuna or beans OR salmon and boiled vegetables.
A smoothie would be good to have also but if you have a sensitive stomach (and your anxiety flares this up as well) then don’t do it otherwise you’ll find yourself literally sh*tting it at the rest haha.

Try to keep your mind off of it by doing what you usually do during the week so either school / uni / work stuff.

Enjoy doing a hobby more often that you usually do.

Write your feelings of anxiety down and burn them or throw it away. Never keep anything bottled in.

Have a stress ball near you any time during that week or the day of the test if you feel like you’re gonna start panicking about the driving te
Is it AM / PM?
That is great advice thankyou and it's in the morning 😩
21ForEva
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lucymay98)
That is great advice thankyou and it's in the morning 😩
Mine was in the morning too - well around 11am. I suggest to wake up 2 hours before to shower, get yourself ready and have breakfast.
I assume you're gonna have like 30mins drive time with your instructor before you drive up to the centre - I did this. Morning is better because you get it ovre and done with.

If you hate failing and put pressure on yourself to get stuff right first time, then please don't stress if you fail. There's always a 2nd or 3rd time to pass. I mean, passing 1st time isn't a big deal anyway, I mean driving in itself isn't a big deal 2bh - where I live especially there are idiots on the road and I think to myself 'how did you pass your test?' lol. Just don't have any expectations - I went in thinking about nothing and acted like it was a driving lesson. You are allowed to ask them to confirm instructions / repeat themselves btw - so just sound confident and drive confidently and you'll be fine
Lucymay98
Rep:
?
This is so helpful, that is the thing I worry about there are so many idiots on the road, one cut me up the other day on the roundabout and it makes me feel so on edge for the real thing, I just wish I wasnt so nervy all the time lol
21ForEva
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lucymay98)
This is so helpful, that is the thing I worry about there are so many idiots on the road, one cut me up the other day on the roundabout and it makes me feel so on edge for the real thing, I just wish I wasnt so nervy all the time lol
On the day of my actual test this happened - he went into the lane with traffic COMING TOWARDS US and then swerved, cutting me up on my right into the left lane next to me - grade A a**hole. But I remained calm and braked as usual to avoid any collision. My instructor didn't say anything but he looked annoyed at the guy defo. I just carried on driving as normal. 2bh if I had stalled because that dude cutting me up, it would not have been my fault as he effed up the flow of oncoming traffic in front of us.

Just seriously remain calm.

If you end up failing IF something like this does happen to you then you know yourself that it wasn't your fault. So what if you have to take the test again? It's perfectly normal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (412)
43.78%
No (98)
10.41%
I'm not old enough (431)
45.8%

Watched Threads