The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i've always heard it used for the year the class graduated/left.
Reply 2
The year you left. Never heard it used the other way around...
Reply 3
Year left. Hence why my school leavers' hoody has "Class of '06" on it instead of "Class of '99."
It should always be the year in which you graduate, if its of anything else its stupid imo (e.g. because not everyone stays in the same secondary school for 7 years, if people are retaking a year, etc.).
Reply 5
Year you graduate.
Reply 6
The year you leave :smile:
Reply 7
It's a year in which you graduate - we have on our hats (Class of 2005) :biggrin:
I think it's just in America that you go by the year you started, it seems.

Here, it's the year you left.
Reply 9
Greatleysteg

I think it's the opposite but in recent years the American usage (year you left) has become the dominant here also (maybe partly because of Facebook for one thing).

My 6th form year book has the year we started secondary school on it.
Reply 10
Year you left - not everyone stays in the same place throughout the course etc.
Greatleysteg

What? :s-smilie:
Reply 12
edward_wells90
It should always be the year in which you graduate, if its of anything else its stupid imo (e.g. because not everyone stays in the same secondary school for 7 years, if people are retaking a year, etc.).

The year you started makes more sense though. If you leave earlier/later than your classmates, then your class of x will be that of a different class.
Reply 13
The year you leave or graduate.
year you leave/graduate
My friends and I use it to mean the year you left. Eg, our high school leaver's cake (donated from a nearby bakery) said 'Good Luck Class of 2006'.

:smile:
SillyFencer
The year you started makes more sense though. If you leave earlier/later than your classmates, then your class of x will be that of a different class.

That doesn't make sense! I'm moving schools for sixth form from Haberdashers' to St George's, so I'm in the St George's class of 2010. If it were the other way around, what am I supposed to do? Go to the Haberdashers' class of 2003 graduation party rather than the St George's one cos I wasn't in the St George's class of 2003?
SillyFencer

yeah but if you join later it would be better the other way around

i think its the year you left
It's the year you left hence our banner at our prom after our GCSEs was Class of 2006 & for the end of A Levels Class of 2008
Reply 19
At my old school we were 01 when we joined and for the majority of our time, but when we left we became class of 06, when i came to 6th form, we left as class of 08, its why i think ive messed up my facebook by putting my oldschool as 01. Anyway ive just gone and made myself confused.

Latest