The Student Room Group

GCSE changes & Grading systems

When does the new GCSE grading system come into effect? I mean the changeover from A*-G to the 9-1 system.

I'm struggling to understand how the various assessment systems (if this is the correct term!) would be applied to a student's progress from Year 10 to University. EBacc, Progress 8, Attainment 8, and 9-1: where do these actually matter? Is it a case of students picking one over the other or universities/employers considering one over the others?
Reply 1
Original post by infoseek
When does the new GCSE grading system come into effect? I mean the changeover from A*-G to the 9-1 system.

I'm struggling to understand how the various assessment systems (if this is the correct term!) would be applied to a student's progress from Year 10 to University. EBacc, Progress 8, Attainment 8, and 9-1: where do these actually matter? Is it a case of students picking one over the other or universities/employers considering one over the others?

The new 9-1 GCSE Grading system is already in effect and has been since 2017. In terms of universities and employers, they’d use A Levels and 9-1 GCSEs.

Hey, that change is already in effect! The year group above me (currently would be in their first year of university) had 9-1 grades for maths and english with the others A*-G. My year (currently year 13) had 9-1 for most subjects, with the exception of Business and one or two others. Finally the year below me, who sat their GCSE exams summer of this year, were marked entirely with the 9-1 system I believe.

In terms of Ebacc, I believe it is more a measure of the school than the student- the school is measured by how many students are taking these ‘harder’ and more traditional subjects. To fulfil an Ebacc you must take at least two sciences, maths, english, a humanity (history, geog etc) and a language. Many of my friends were pushed into taking subjects they did not want to take as a result of the school wanting more Ebacc students, which of course led to them getting poorer grades as they didnt care for the subject. Perhaps the most useful thing about it for students is it leaves their options open for A-Level. But, quite honestly, I haven’t heard about it since GCSE. I did an Ebacc but it isn’t even mentioned in my results or certification. With the exception perhaps of Oxbridge, I dont think universities pay it much attention, if any at all.

I know less about Progress/Attainment 8. Theyd always be on our reports but I never fully understood them, largely because I never bothered to. Though, from what I have understood, they too have more effect on the school than the student, a further measuring device. I do not know what my own were and have never needed them, but I remember my school getting really frustrated about it. I believe they’re a comparison of how far students have come compared to students at other schools who had the same grades at the end of Key Stage 2. So again, this is not likely to effect the individual student. In fact, as my school had a lower score, I became eligible for contextual offers from universities, so it actually benefited me 😂

9-1 grades are the ones the student should focus on. Your progress/attainment 8 is based on your grades anyway so even if you did want a positive score, improving grades would be the way to go about this. I have friends that did not fulfil the Ebacc requirements yet are now in traditional a levels and getting offers to do medicine at university. They got good GCSE grades, they were just in the subjects they wanted to take. So really, a student should take subjects they enjoy and focus only on their 9-1 grades.

This is all from my experience though, and other people may think otherwise :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by strugglingkid
Hey, that change is already in effect! The year group above me (currently would be in their first year of university) had 9-1 grades for maths and english with the others A*-G. My year (currently year 13) had 9-1 for most subjects, with the exception of Business and one or two others. Finally the year below me, who sat their GCSE exams summer of this year, were marked entirely with the 9-1 system I believe.

In terms of Ebacc, I believe it is more a measure of the school than the student- the school is measured by how many students are taking these ‘harder’ and more traditional subjects. To fulfil an Ebacc you must take at least two sciences, maths, english, a humanity (history, geog etc) and a language. Many of my friends were pushed into taking subjects they did not want to take as a result of the school wanting more Ebacc students, which of course led to them getting poorer grades as they didnt care for the subject. Perhaps the most useful thing about it for students is it leaves their options open for A-Level. But, quite honestly, I haven’t heard about it since GCSE. I did an Ebacc but it isn’t even mentioned in my results or certification. With the exception perhaps of Oxbridge, I dont think universities pay it much attention, if any at all.

I know less about Progress/Attainment 8. Theyd always be on our reports but I never fully understood them, largely because I never bothered to. Though, from what I have understood, they too have more effect on the school than the student, a further measuring device. I do not know what my own were and have never needed them, but I remember my school getting really frustrated about it. I believe they’re a comparison of how far students have come compared to students at other schools who had the same grades at the end of Key Stage 2. So again, this is not likely to effect the individual student. In fact, as my school had a lower score, I became eligible for contextual offers from universities, so it actually benefited me 😂

9-1 grades are the ones the student should focus on. Your progress/attainment 8 is based on your grades anyway so even if you did want a positive score, improving grades would be the way to go about this. I have friends that did not fulfil the Ebacc requirements yet are now in traditional a levels and getting offers to do medicine at university. They got good GCSE grades, they were just in the subjects they wanted to take. So really, a student should take subjects they enjoy and focus only on their 9-1 grades.

This is all from my experience though, and other people may think otherwise :smile:

It's good to hear from someone who has just been through these. And it clarifies things for me a lot more!

Thank you! :yy:
Original post by strugglingkid

Yeah universities don't care about Ebacc, not even Oxbridge. It's a measure introduced by the government in an attempt to make students study more 'traditional/academic' subjects as they're perceived to be better than others.

Progress 8 and Attainment 8 are scores used to compare schools. Attainment 8 is the score given for what the average pupil gets across their best 8 GCSE grades. Higher scores means that pupils will on average perform much better (so grammars will have high A8 scores).

Progress 8 measures how the average pupil performs in their best 8 GCSEs compared to how they were expected to perform based on their prior attainment (aka KS2 SATs). This means you might get schools that have lower A8 scores but perform extremely well in P8 because e.g. they have a very deprived/high level ESOL cohort who make much bigger improvements, whereas if you have a cohort who are mostly already high prior attainers, then they might have lower P8 scores because they haven't made as much of an improvement to the expected grades at GCSE. E.g. a school scoring 1 (well above average) in P8 means they improved every GCSE of the student by a whole grade than expected, on average.

here's what each grade means:
9=A**
8=A*
7=A
6=B
5= high C/low B
4= high D/low C
3=E
2=F
1=G
U=U

Quick Reply